Rhubarb and custard

Looking for feedback and input on this rhubarb and custard recipe. Doesn’t appear to be many recipes on the site that are solely rhubarb and custard so put this together as a start.

CAP Vanilla Custard v1, TPA Vanilla Swirl, TPA Marshmallow for the custard base, this is the same ingredients used in Clogged Artery Custard II by @TorturedZen so credit to him.

INW Rhubarb for the tart rhubarb + TPA Strawberry Ripe to add a little sweetness and enhance the rhubarb.

TPA Brown Sugar to add some depth to the custard and to add a cooked/stewed effect to the fruit.

1 Like

How do it taste and what is missing?

Haven’t had any experience with Rhubarb so I can’t really comment.
But thank you for the mention!

If I had some rhubarb I would try it but I don’t, it’s a flavor I want but down on the list. When I get some I will try it, looks good!

I would read the notes on the rhubarb here if I were you. 1.5% in a mix is quite a lot for this flavour.

4 Likes

Yup at 1.5 you will get pretty much just rhubarb even at half that % it will have a good strong rhubarb it will also be rather heavy on the vc1 8% is quite high not off the charts but at half that % it will still be good. My 2c

Oops sorry Jose hit the wrong reply button.

3 Likes

There are a few Rhubarb and Custard recipes on ELR and this is one of them.

Strubarb Custard

Ingredient %
Cookie (Biscotto) (FA) 2
Joy (FA) 0.2
Lime Tahity (Cold Pressed) (FA) 0.15
Marshmallow (TPA) 0.75
Rhubarb (INAWERA) 0.85
Strawberry Shisha (INAWERA) 3
Sweet Cream (FW) 1
Sweet Strawberry (CAP) 1.5
Vanilla Custard v1 (CAP) 2.5

Flavor total: 11.95%

Remember to rate it at e-liquid-recipes.com!
5 Likes

I seem to do that all the time lately, maybe something in the air :grinning:

3 Likes

Looks pretty good to me. I made something pretty similar ages ago to this. The rhubarb is strong but that amount of custard with the strawberry does tone it down more than most mixes from what I remember of mine. With what you have used I would probably swap the strawberry and rhubarb percentages round and drop the custard by 1-1.5% if being finnicky

1 Like

Thanks Will. I will definitely try switching the strawberry and rhubarb around although I’m fairly happy with it at 1.5%, yes it’s strong and predominately rhubarb but I imagine the custard will only improve after a 2+ week steep.

I’m thinking maybe 0.5% of CAP Super Sweet to just sweeten and round the rhubarb further.

Any alternatives to vanilla swirl to boost the custard notes? Not concinved it’s the best choice.

Right now it tastes like rhubarb and custard boiled sweets, very tasty but was aiming for a more authentic desert type flavour of cooked rhubarb and custard like a rhubarb crumble covered in custard but without the crumble.