RIP Gary Rossington

I don’t know how many Lynyrd Skynyrd fans we have here but this saddens me.

20 Likes

Sad indeed. Another legend has left us.

10 Likes

R.I.P. Gary

10 Likes

Very sad news. RIP Gary.

7 Likes

We are getting old @TorturedZen, leading to more and more gaps.
I remember my sister exclaiming when Nelson Mandela died at 93, she would sign up for that.
Personally I wasn’t too keen, not even in good health.
I asked her if she realised how many people she would have to bury getting that old.
All your friends gone, maybe some of your children.

She said her oldest would ‘only’ be 74 then. I asked her for the warranty that said he would live that long. She didn’t have one.

I can still see my granddad on his little wooden chair, sitting at my fathers funeral, his youngest son.

Sorry, I’m digressing. Very sad indeed, the last surviving original member :cry:

11 Likes

This broke my heart when I just saw it on the news. This band played a huge role in my life being my favorite band of all time. :cry: I have some great memories of seeing them live, just a total loss.

10 Likes

Though it’s sad when people die, it does mean that band in the afterlife gets better for each year you are still alive.

11 Likes

I just found out today the song ‘That Smell’ was written about the Torino he crashed into a tree.

9 Likes

That song is from the Street Survivors album. The original album cover/artwork showed the band with flames rising up in the background behind them. After the plane crash the studio pulled the album off the market and re-released it without the flames. The original is supposed to be a highly sought after collectors item.

9 Likes

God’s Jam Band is really getting crunk lately. Last week, we also lost Michael Rhodes, who was a high-demand session bassist, mostly in Nashville circles, but had also branched out, most recently recording with Joe Bonamassa.

9 Likes

This reminded me of the idea of ‘Ultra-Heaven’ where Bowie and Freddie Mercury greet you, with Mr. Rogers making sure they are welcoming enough.

6 Likes

Yep, the Afterlife Band just got another great member. The deaths over the past few years remind me of my own mortality. Getting (or am) old. Amazingly, I’ve embraced my age as gracefully (and as gratefully) as I can.

7 Likes

Yep. So many hearts. Welcome to the ELR forums Kyle!

5 Likes

Interesting, I have the original from my brothers vinyl collection which I received after he passed. There are some amazing deep cuts in that bunch. I only wished I could find a decent phonograph…What I’d give to listen to those again.

5 Likes