Salt nics vs. Free base

Okay. Honestly, can someone please logically explain the conversation rate as far as nic levels from freebase juices to salt nics… Admittedly I am just now trying to convert to salts and from the research I have done so far (really just today tbh) people just make this way to complicated. I have been making my own “freebase” juice for over 5 years now. I know it and understand it. So my honest logic here is that I vape 6mg juice at typically 70-80 watts. Logically this tells me I am getting atleast twice the amount of vaper compared to a 30-40w device. This would imply that if I am a 6mg vaper with freebase juices that I should be vaping atleast 2-3 times the nicotine level if switching to nic salts. So (cuz ya know, math) this simply means I should be vaping 12-18 mg salt nic juice. And, even if i take this to the extreme and assume i am getting 4 times the output of a salt nic pod device. That implies that I should be vaping 24-30mg as far as salt nics go (I know 30 is a stretch). I understand so far from researching that the only true difference between nics is that salt is more efficient as far as absorbtion goes. So as a 13 year pack a day smoker/vaper, that’s irrelevant as far as I’m concerned. Can someone please explain a simply conversion for me… This truly cannot be as hard as people are making it…

7 Likes

I switched over dead even and the only difference I noticed is less throat hit from salts, I was 3 mg freebase for two years or more, now I’m 3mg salts for almost a year

8 Likes

Honestly, I notice zero throat hit from 6mg on a box mod… and am concerned mostly about getting less of a hit and therefore less nicotine by switching… so in ur opinion/experience and with my concerns. Do u think it might be smart to switch over to a 12-18mg salt nic then? Cuz really it’s the wattage change that mostly makes me feel compensation is necessary

4 Likes

6mg/ml of salt nic is still 6 mg/ml of Nic. So they are exactly the same you just don’t get any throat hit from salt nic so really there is no conversion to be done. You dont have to change your wattage or device.

11 Likes

Okay, stupid question first. But is there any difference vaping salt nics on a box Mod vs. a low wattage pod system? If u have done so (which it sounds as u do have experience). My next question is, and some more info for u… I currently have my box mod which I use at 70-80w. I ordered an Orion DNA today which maxed out, hits 40w (if I remember correctly). What would u reccomend nic-wise for a 40w pod vape as a 6mg mod user? Because that is truly my biggest concern with being told there is no conversion to be done. I really just want to know how to compensate for the difference in wattage… this will save me alot of time as far as experimenting making random juices at different nic levels goes

5 Likes

Well unfortunately there is no easy way to figure it out except by trial and error but I would suggest that you start with double ie 12mg and see if it floats your boat.

5 Likes

That’s fair. And my honest thought. My gut tells me try 12-18 and see what I think, but wanted some outside opinions first… this really stems from the fact that I can easily and accurately recommend 3mg, 6mg, 12mg etc. Based on wants and tendencies of smokers/vapers and from personal experience. I just simply want to find and tap into that same knowledge/experience with salt nics from more experienced people in this forum

6 Likes

I have used exclusively salts bar the first 2 months of vaping. Normally I sit at 6mg around 90w been that way last 18 months. Recently I got my first pod I think it’s max is 11w, I don’t use that much only in the toilet at work. I’ve been happy at 12mg in that, but that is my experience.

Thought I’d add the below pictures as a comparison. Both bottles are identical recipes made about the same time. The top one is freebase and bottom one is salts. Now these are nearly 2 years old, big difference as can be seen in photos.

6 Likes

To add to the other replies thats 2 different questions.
Firstly nic salts % will be the same as freebase.
The question is what % from a high power rig to a pod type. I normally go 2x for a dtl one or 3x for a mtl. Best advice would be try a few different % and see what works for you.

3 Likes

Thanks Nick. That makes sense to me. I appreciate the straight to the point response lol. For real.

4 Likes