Same mix but different taste

On the weekend I have made a mix which I called Bondi Beach Breaky, with the first test mix being 30ml.
After making the mix I let it stand with the top off for 3 hours and then vaped it, in which I was really happy with. Actually very happy.
The following morning I made the exact same mix, accept the size of the bottle which went up to 60ml.
The only thing differently done was that I let the 60ml breathe for 16hrs, but the taste is no where as full as the 30ml mix. It tastes as though there may have been some kind of evaporation throughout the longer breathing periodā€™s.
Would this be the possible cause ?

Bondi Beach Breaky :

2.00% Bavarian Cream (TPA)
3.00% Cappuccino Coffee (Purilum)
3.00% Glazed Doughnut (CAP)
2.00% Sweet Cream (TPA)

9 Likes

Could beā€¦ depending on the flavorsā€¦ most flavors donā€™t need a breathing period, unless theyā€™re in an alcohol based solutionā€¦ what are the flavors & percentages? Iā€™m sure someone could helpā€¦

10 Likes

Just out of curiosity, why are you letting mixes breathe? IMO that would definitely be my number one choice for why it is different in flavour.

13 Likes

@St3v0 thanks mate and I have just added the flavours and percentā€™s to the post.

9 Likes

Like @Ianc13 saidā€¦ what is the purpose of letting this breathe?

10 Likes

@St3v0 @Ianc13 sorry fellas I should of gave my reason. It was something that I had read somewhere of the past few weeks to do while my partner and I have been learning about the DIY art of making juices. Obviously, this information was incorrect.

12 Likes

Right u areā€¦ breathing isnā€™t the same as steepingā€¦ DIY takes timeā€¦ this isnā€™t a shake n vape recipeā€¦ the flavors need time to play with each otherā€¦ if u want something quick, go with some fruitsā€¦ read up on this forum, there is a lot of good info. on bere, all u gotta do is read.

13 Likes

& try to make sure what u are going off of has been talked about a bitā€¦ if tht makes sensešŸ˜‰

8 Likes

Yeah, I donā€™t ā€œbreatheā€ any mixes I do, even ones that have alcohol based concentrates. Steeping will take care of the alcohol and none of the ingredients you have used need to have the top off.

Breathing liquids was quite a popular misconception a while back, especially with the alcohol based or stronger flavours. Totally unnecessary and usually resulted in muted juice. Some suppliers still say to let breathe even nowā€¦ had one suggest that to me a few weeks back (I ignored the suggestion).

Also, the amount of time you left the 60ml bottle (16 hours) open would have had a lot more impact on the flavour than the 30ml (3 hours).

11 Likes

I realize that you are looking for feedback, but that wasnā€™t quite what they meant when they named the category you posted in. :wink:
They use that one for feedback about the forum (settings, software malfunctions, etc), and or the calculator.

I moved your post into the recipes area, since thatā€™s what you were talking about overall.

But you could have also posted the same question into the ā€˜fix my mixā€™ thread as well.

Happy mixing!

14 Likes

Unfortunately mis-information thrives in the DIY e-liquid world. Itā€™s comparable to the Tucker Carlson/Fox News crappola.

10 Likes

DO NOT BREATHE YOUR LIQUIDS lolā€¦Molecules from the flsvor compounds escape ā€¦30ml steeps a little fsster than 60 mlā€¦Just dont breathe yiur mixes

9 Likes

I concur with others about the fallacy of breathing.

@fidalgo_vapes is right about the difference in steeping time: increasing the surface area is one way to speed up steeps.

If youā€™ve excluded everything else then other factors can influence perception: what you vaped or ate preceding it, mood and medication can all influence taste. Iā€™m currently working on bitter blends and I know that if I try a bakery one right now, itā€™ll definitely taste like shit.

11 Likes

Very trueā€¦I vape Honeydew blend then a Lemon mix after and the lemon liqyid taste like shit until the 3rd pull off of vapeā€¦

11 Likes

@fidalgo_vapes @Ianc13 @Sprkslfly @SquirrelSmash @TorturedZen @St3v0 I just want to say thankyou to all you guys for helping me with my question.

9 Likes

More than welcome mateā€¦, hope u got it figured out

4 Likes

Some recipes are known to lose flavor a certain time into the steep only to have them come back in full or better after even more steep time. i.e. starts out good, mutes later, gets good or great again later yet.

5 Likes

Follow usā€¦ The Rabbit Hole is this wayā€¦ :metal:

4 Likes

@D.Sims thanks brother, we have just started following you.

4 Likes

@JiM210 thanks for the reply mate and yes we have been told that and checking back today we have noticed that the scent has come back a bit particularly on the one the question was about.

3 Likes