Scrapple and other weird eating ;)

I did eat it when i was a kid. Then my uncle explained to me that “Scrapple ain’t nothing but lips and assholes!” Never ate it again!

9 Likes

You can freeze it. I worked at a restaurant that sold as a menu item and when it came it it was frozen.

If you’re storing nicotine in your freezer just wrap it in foil and mark it “Scrapple” …it’ll be safe :wink:

7 Likes

In the south we say “we eat everything but the squeal”.

11 Likes

Bodarc, this is exactly how my grandma made it for me, fried crispy then folded into eggs. That ol’ red white and blue square package. :wink:

5 Likes

Scrapple is nasty. I’ll eat insects and pig intestine along with the tongue of anything. But scrapple, bleh. Blood sausage, cubed blood, tripe… Im down with it all.

5 Likes

Ooooh… tripe. There’s something I haven’t had in forever.

Off to google recipes for tripe! I’m sure the whole family will love it!!

5 Likes

Are those ants? Cuz that’s just wrong. Unless your starving then it’s ok. Every thing is ok if your starving!

5 Likes

They call them ants, but they are like wasps without stingers, found in Mango trees in Cambodia. The lower pic is a salad made with their pupae. Best salad ever, those are julienned jalapenos.

4 Likes

No thank you.

4 Likes

Not eating anything with pupae!

5 Likes

My ex from PA made me have scrapple in a local restaurant when i was there in 2000. The restaurant was in original 1960s or 70s style. Just like a funny fried meat loaf. I don’t think it tasted bad but it is of course a way to dispose of all the unwanted meat. But in the Bavarian hinterlands we eat a thing called “slaughter plate” which has a little bit of everything, warm liver sausage, black pudding and all kinds of mystery meat. And Sauerkraut of course. Hmmmmm…

7 Likes

I had no idea it is popular in the South! Thanks for the info!

4 Likes

I am specifically speaking of Pennsylvania Dutch, which, I assume, is quite different than being Dutch. But I am not sure if they are directly Dutch in heritage, or just a name that was given to them or adopted by them. Weird things like that do happen here! Lol! The PA Dutch are largely Mennonite and Amish, and well known for their homemade, very unhealthy, USUALLY delicious recipes! :blush:

5 Likes

The Sauerkraut sounds good! Lol!

5 Likes

Older people in the area always tried to talk to me in Pennsylvania dutch.when they heard that I was from Germany. Only a few words sounded familiar though.

6 Likes

I took German in High School. And have forgotten a vast majority of it, but I can recognize a few of the words they use as well. It’s a weird combination of German and other languages, some English.

4 Likes

The black pudding and the liver thingy are still in sausage form so it looks ok

7 Likes

But that’s what Scrapple is made out of-The squeal!

4 Likes

If my memory serves, the name “PA Dutch” comes from the Germanic pronunciation of their native land, AKA Deutschland. Since PA was settled by a large portion of German speaking peoples that went into secluded groups(the Amish) the mother tongue got bastardized with English and PA Dutch was born. It’s a trip to listen to if you’ve studied German-you get about every other word, with English words and phrases peppered in for a little confusion. My buddy’s grandmother was PA Dutch-whenever she would visit, she’d talk on their phone for HOURS to her neighbors back in Lancaster(We were in the Lehigh Valley) She’d just ramble on, shouting into the phone and cackling like a witch. Great lady-Funny as hell and crazier than a shithouse rat, but damn, that woman could COOK! I still can taste the schnitzel and sauerkraut.

7 Likes

Born and raised in the Philly area…I was weaned on the stuff. Hatfield is good, but Habbersett is king! When it comes to scrapple, I’ll get whatever brand available, but if I have choice say I am visiting the Philly area, I’ll go for the Habbersett every time. I live in Connecticut now and hard to find. There is one supermarket about 40 minutes away from me that usually has it in the freezer section, but that is the only store I know of in the area that has scrapple. It is “Jones” scrapple out of Wisconsin. It’s okay in a pinch when the craving hits.

So, one day I’m frying up some scrapple for nighttime snack and my kids have never seen let alone heard of scrapple (being born in Southern New England). They’re about ages 4 and 10 years old at the time. They come running into the kitchen…daddy, daddy, what’s that smell? IT’S SCRAPPLE, I say, you wanna try some? Yea, Yea, we want to try…that smells good. Meanwhile my wife is on the sofa saying don’t do it, don’t do it, gross stuff!. Well the good smell prevailed over mommies complaining, and the kids where instant scrapple fans ever since. I told them it’s in your blood.

9 Likes