Setting to open links in new tabs

Hi @daath, I hope all’s OK with you :slight_smile:
I have the [good][bad] habbit of opening search results in new tabs. Not happy with it, just close it and get back to your list of results in 1 action. There are certain pages on ELR where this is the case, not on others.
Google, duckduckgo etc have an option in their settings to switch this feature on/off to suit your preferences. Is there a way to implement this globally on ELR too? Especially on the recipe side I think it would be very useful.

Thanks for your consideration.

5 Likes

Hmm. I have never struggled with this issue, despite doing exactly the same that you do. I just middle-click my mouse to open a new tab with the contents - only rarely do I left-click to open in the same window/tab … Does your mouse not have a middle mouse button? Both laptops (mac and windows) also does it - I think it’s a three-finger-tap?

I think it would be strange for a site like ELR to have every link you click open a new tab :smiley: For search engines it makes more sense, I think …

4 Likes

The recipe side also has a search … what can I make etc.
It was just an idea but yes, of course I can ctrl+click or right-click “open in new tab” :smiley: I’m just getting used to opening results in new tabs, and maybe a little lazy.
My middle button is used for scrolling (pull up or down to scroll instead of rolling the button) and gets used a lot too.

3 Likes

My middle button does that too, but if you middle click on a link, it opens in a new tab :slight_smile: The scrolling thing still works! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Ah cool, learned something new today :partying_face:

5 Likes

That said, it could very easily be implemented as a preference! It’s just that you’re the first to mention this… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

If it is easy to do, I’d certainly appreciate it. Having more options to customize ELR to users’ own preferences can only be a plus IMO and it wouldn’t impact anybody negatively as the current behavior would be default.

4 Likes

Preferences now has a “Open search results in new tab” :slight_smile: Should work in any recipe list and flavor list - unless I forgot something … :slight_smile:

8 Likes

You are truly amazing Lars! :slight_smile:
And it works like a charm.

6 Likes

Maybe just one thing… just for consistency :grimacing:
If you click on a flavor in the flavor warning list, it opens in a new tab. When you click on a flavor in a recipe, it opens in the same tab.

4 Likes

Ah, yes, well that isn’t a search result, but I see your point. Changed :slight_smile:

6 Likes