SFT and the steep

I received my first flavors at the end of June. Ordered more with all the enthusiasm of a puppy with a new toy.
I don’t think anyone starts out with a cool head, at least I didn’t.
I wanted to make EVERY FLAVOR!
Wait for it…
So then reality sets in.
I asked for a “check my recipe” several days ago and got lots of good advice, including SFT, single flavor testing.
While it requires more bottles, it prevents one from creating recipes that just don’t work.
So now I know that none of my nicotine, vg/pg or flavors will get dumped down the drain.
I have a simple question…
I put together the single flavors with my preference of 6% nicotine and 80/20 vg/pg, etc, and let them steep.
SO… once steeped, don’t the flavors kind of mix together from their single versions with minimal steep time?
For instance, I made a grown up tobacco heavy apricot “pipe tobacco” blend (back when I was the enthusiastic puppy), and I may have actually over-shot the mark. It is a delicious tobacco blend, but lacks sweetness just a little TOO much. So I added an sft of Belgian waffle, about 25 percent, to my 5 mil vape tank (baby beast), and now I am enjoying a black crown royal and sprite over ice and really enjoying what I’ve done to this previously harsh mix.
Which is exactly what I imagined when I created the recipe.
I think I’ve answered my own question.
Flavors mix more readily when prepped as an SFT than in a recipe, right?
Thanks so much.

5 Likes

Right. As long as they are steeped that is. You have hit on it though. That is exactly how I can have my favorite custards in half the time. I keep 100ml or so of my favorite custards already steeped. Then I add the flavors I want to that and wamo bamo my custards are ready. It is also how I find out what I should mix my SFT with, as you already mentioned.

7 Likes

Im at work , but i would love to give my opinion on this … My opinion will be long so after work I’ll PM you … My short answer is Yes and No …

8 Likes

Quick flavor test! Grab some small Dixie cups and put in some whipped cream. Add 2 drops of flavor to test them. Not the same as vaping but it’ll give you a good idea of what the flavor will taste like!

4 Likes

such a good idea. I usually use water but whipped cream is a great idea.

2 Likes

Wow!
For some reason that sounds scary to me!
And logically there is nothing to be afraid of.
Great idea.

3 Likes

No problem! It’s always served me well. Once I know what it tastes like all I have to do is lock in the percentage for vaping. Glad I could help!

1 Like

I Love this type of discussion on mixing philosophy and strategy. DIY is more akin to alchemy than it is too cooking. IMO a mix with “goldilox zone” %s will reach a state of equilibrium between 6-8 weeks (sooner if primarily candy or fruits) meaning the mix will stabilize and no further major changes will occur. If stored correctly (glass, no UV et ) that mix should remain stable for 2years or longer. The tricky part is, if too much of even one ingredient is used the mix can begin too mute or continue to change over time. Many people mix tried and true recipes as stones and use the stones as bases for other recipes or as @Dan_the_Man mentioned using the steeped recipe as a base of he same recipe can accelerate the steeping process. Mixing SF tests with other SF tests will make a good juice, but I do not think mixing them together and steeping them to together will yield the same result as the SF mixed with SF will. The reason being that say 3% red apple SF may taste great and 3% SF mango may as well. But mixed together from the get go you may not even taste the apple post steep. Cumbersome wording but that is my experience.

3 Likes