Should I change to Rebuildables?

Tim84
It was the one assigned when I created account

4 Likes

Ive got the Zeus RTA, its a decent tank, however I rarely use it lol. Just because I prefer RDAs, they are less hassle. Dont have to be so precise with the wicking to stop dry hits and more of a faff changing the wick.

Building a simple single strand coil is really easy and I would advise any new starter to do it this way so you fully understand the whole process, plus the most difficult part is fitting them tbh.

The only difficult part of building them is ensuring both coils (if using dual coil) is that they are both exactly the same.

5 Likes

Do you know what kind of wire, and other items I would need to get started?

5 Likes

Yeh, 28 gauge A1 Kanthal wire, cotton bacon or Muji cotton and a coil master kit. The last one isnt a necessity but makes it so much easier. You could just get a 3mm diameter screwdriver, a pair of small scissors (just for cutting your cotton), pliers and wire cutters instead of the coil master kit.

That should get you well on your way to make lots of coils :+1:

EDIT: I can’t remember but the coil master may come with wire and cotton

5 Likes

Thank you so much! I am now headed to the Vape Shop to see what they have.
Thanks again,
Tim

5 Likes

I had two zues rtas and loved them i had one with a coil deck and mesh. They are newbie friendly and they work great. The decks are simple to build on and are very forgiving. It would be a great starter rta. Once you get it down then upgrade if you want. You can go the route of buying pre built or you can get your self just round wire from geek vape or get some flat wire and twist the coils and put them in

7 Likes

Do not get 28g get 24 or 26g as 28 is harder to work with as it likes to spring back

6 Likes

I would check the prices of the coil master on amazon, unless you want it there and then of course ;).

Also no vape shops near me stock any DIY things so i guess if they do stock them I wouldn’t mind purchasing. Gotta use them or lose them I guess :slight_smile:

4 Likes

If you start building I would recommend buying all three basic metals. 26 and 28 ga round wires at 100 ft lengths. When you decide to to move up to fused wire building 36-40 ga 500 ft to 1000 foot rolls. If you’re eyes are good fused Clapton’s are easy to build.
Basics to start would be:
Kanthal
NI 80
Stainless steel

Heavy duty fishing ball bearing swivels.
A drill.
Plyers needle nose and padded jaw
Wire cutter

5 Likes

Bite your tongue. Kanthal and NI80 holds up well. Stainless wire will spring if not wound tight. I do SS 28-40 3.5mm fused Clapton’s exclusively. I want that 0.20 ohm coil I can run temp control.

5 Likes

A lot of good tips & info has been submitted. I don’t want to start a debate on what rta, rda, or coil works best ‘for us’, and our tastes. Maybe I missed it, but I think knowing what Tim’s tastes are, as someone starting out, would be a good place to start.

MTL / DTL?
What is he using now?
The resistance of the coil he’s using now?
And… does it presently work for him? (Mod, POD, coil, power, etc)

If what he’s using now, works for his tastes, but just wants to save money on the expensive drop in coils, we have a starting point to work with. We were all noobs at one time. All the variables with mixing, rebuilding can get overwhelming.

10 Likes

I absolutely agree. Everyone seems to be assuming that Tim wants to vape the way they do. At the very least we need to know whether Tim prefers MTL, DTL, or restricted DTL before we can make any recommendations.

9 Likes

When starting, I’d suggest getting a premade wire before you start pondering making one for yourself.

Here’s one I use a bit:

Amazon.co.uk (I better find an available one.)

Then you just need plyers to cut it and a cylinder which matches the size you want for this wrap. I coil using 3mm ear stretchers or drill bits myself as they are always on my desk.

6 Likes

Vape Tool https://web.vapetool.app/

You’ll need this too.
Free with adds or you can pay to remove em.

4 Likes

He stated he is looking at a couple of the GV products. ZEUS RTA and RDA. Both DTL products.

6 Likes

Is this an Ohms tool? I must admit that I noped out when it suggested a Facebook login.

2 Likes

I use it all the time. Don’t use Facebook. There has to be an option for email sign in and password if not then there is a full download version for phone .

3 Likes

Sss does but even kanthal 28g when first starting out is no fun. It has a spring not as drastic as ss. I didnt use stainless till i got a feel for kanthal. I use 28gss as inner cores and wrap them with 38g kanthal now. I gone off tc. Once and awhile i use 38g nic to wrap the cores. But he is just learning best to use 24g 26g easier to work with

4 Likes

A yes or no would be more helpful.

3 Likes

It’s a simple web version. Don’t know if he is using Windows or Android. Web works with everything.

2 Likes