Show Us Your Fish Tanks

Well, it would certainly be interesting to have one in a fish tank in the living room. but take the other fish out first!

3 Likes

Yeah lol. He would definitely see everything as food. I think I will stick with Oscars.

3 Likes

Recently installed a new UV sterilizer 36 Watt polished SS tube, I’m only pumping about 2,100 gph so its a bit overkill but works like charm

3 Likes

Is there any maintenance on that?

3 Likes

I had a blue eyed pleco. Probably one of the more beautiful fish I had. Jet black and corn blue eyes. Kinda looked like this

4 Likes

Oh yeah, I have only ever seen one of those in pictures. Just a cool looking fish. That is what I always loved about Red Tail Sharks. In the right conditions in your aquarium they are a deep black with a bright red tail. You could always tell when something wasn’t right in the tank because they turned a lighter gray and their tail faded.
shark_redTail4

4 Likes

Yeah but very little, the SS tube is polished on the inside, so disassembly and cleaning needed periodically.

3 Likes

I have been looking at tanks and filtration systems. I really wish I had kept my old stuff, as prices have gotten ridiculous lol. The last 75 gallon I had I think I had a total of $600 in it minus the hood and stand (home built), and fish. That doesn’t look like it’s going to get me much this time.

3 Likes

Translated word by word the German name of those is “fire tail” and they are known troublemakers. One in a tank can mess up everything. They keep chasing the weak ones so they can’t get to the food anymore. Pretty but really nasty fish…

2 Likes

Yeah, you have to be careful picking tankmates for them. The Red Tails will basically stay towards the bottom of the tank. So fish that hover in the middle and upper portions of the tank are usually not bullied by them. Gouramis, Neon Tetras, Tiger Barbs (little assholes), and other similar fish aren’t usually on the Red Tail’s radar, because they feed near the top of the tank. And Red Tails are bottom feeders.

What I always did with Red Tails is arrange the rocks in the tank so they had a home. I kinda forced them to like a spot to defend. Because that is what they do. They will even pester small plecos if they invade their space (sucker fish mentioned above ). But big plecos just ignore them and sucker on through their home.

With Oscars, it was interesting to watch the Red Tails try to bully them, then watch the Oscars flare their fins, open their mouths, and seemingly say “come get some shrimpy”.

I have raised lots of fish together that I was told not to. You just have to pay attention to what is going on and arrange the tank to fix the problem. I have rearranged a tank 6 times in a couple weeks just to get two Red Tails to get along, which is a bit of a miracle.

2 Likes

A friend of mine had one, the other fish were big enough so they didn’t get bothered too much. But his name was Ingo the terrible and was on probation in this tank where he died eventually.

2 Likes

Lol. Yeah, that is why I love them so much. Outside of their cool color and profile, they have a cool way of ruling a tank. They don’t bite other fish. They simply chase them to death. So you have to find a way to prevent this with fish selection, scenery placement, etc.

But when you get it all working smoothly, you can coerce the Red Tail to stay in his area, and watching him defend it sure makes things interesting. When you succeed, the Red Tail will chase anything out of his area, but stop the chase for fear someone else is sneaking in behind him.

Dogs defend their turf the same exact way. Once off their turf… they are cowards.

3 Likes

I guess the key is quite simply more space! My tank is 430 liters, roughly 115 american gallons, 4x2x2 feet and I wouldn’t dare getting an Ingo.

2 Likes

Get a small one and create a little home with some rocks in a darker corner of the tank and watch.

Most people don’t even know they are an extremely endangered fish in the wild. The only reason we are able to buy them is large aquarium fish breeding companies are keeping them available in our hobby.

3 Likes

Tiger barbs

Zebra pelcostomus, about $300 each and oddly enough eat meat.

2 Likes

My longfin green phantom plecos. They also have a regular fin style and blue phantoms that are amazing as well.

They mite be regular fins I’m not 100% unfortunately most of my tank pics are on my old phones

3 Likes

I think that’s a gold dust pleco, mustard spot also comes to mind but I believe gold dust is the better guess. Check out snowball plecos, or zebra and tiger otocinclus. Cool and active algae eaters, the giant species of ottos get 3-4"

3 Likes