Sigelei 150TC, power in a stealthed design

What’s up vapefam!
SirRisc here with another gear review!

This review should have been published a long time ago, but due to delays and other things popping up in my queue, it got pushed back. And again.
And again. So yes, I know it’s less relevant than it should be, but I still feel this mod deserves a review.
It took some time to find a mod that would replace my trusty Sigelei 100W+, a mod I still love for its robust and undying character.
But with the Sigelei 150TC, I may have found a proper contender for everyday use.

This Sigelei 150TC was sent to me for the purpose of this review by Gearbest.com!

Premise.

Photo.

Last year (2014), when I first started vaping, I started out with a simple Ego kit and moved on to the MVP2.0 after a few weeks.
And it was good, it provided me with all I wanted at that point… except I wanted more, as Jeremy Clarkson would say, POWAAAAAAH!
So I started browsing stores for a higher power mod, doing my research on which one had the better chip, the better 510, the better price.
After reading a review of a fellow member on /r/ecr_eu, I was set to buy the Sigelei 100W+. The one with the wavy go faster lines on the side.
My wife caught on to this idea, and instead of slapping me over the head for wanting a device with that kind of power, she offered to buy it for me as a Christmas gift.
Needless to say, I’m happily married man.
And to this day, the old Sigelei 100W+ is still performing like it did when it was new. I love the mod to bits for sentimental reasons, but also because it just never breaks.
Finding a contender that could rival this mod and offer a bit more was not an easy thing to do, but Sigelei have done it.

The Sigelei 150TC offers a new design, temp control for Ni200, and the same robustness as the old geezer.
Sit back, have a read what the difference is between the two!

Sigelei 150TC

Specifications.

• Aluminium alloy body
  • Matte black finish (also available in white, blue and red)
  • Temperature Control (Ni200 only)
  • 10W to 150W in power mode
  • 10J to 100J in TC mode
  • Dual 18650 battery powered
  • 0.1ohm to 3.0ohm
  • 100°C to 300°C or 212°F to 572°F
  • Magnetic batterycover
  • Springloaded 510 connection

Packaging.

The Sigelei 150TC comes in the same kind of box we’ve grown accustomed to from Sigelei.
A luxurious black cardboard box with bright shining red letters, that slides out to the side.
On the bottom you’ll find a holographic sticker for authenticity.
Inside of the box will be the mod, a translucent silicone sleeve, a usermanual, a warranty card, and an instruction manual to check authenticity of the mod.

The packaging…

Performance.

If you’ve had one Sigelei, you’ve had them all. That’s what a fellow vaper once said to me.
I have to disagree though, because comparing the 150TC to the 100W+ would be a bit unfair.
After all, they look nothing alike.

There are several differences and one of them is definitely the way it handles batteries.
Using the same set of Samsung 25R batteries in both mods at the same wattage will result in having to charge the batteries quicker when they were in the Sigelei 150TC.
For some reason it’s not as efficient as the 100W+, but that could be because it’s a different iteration of the chip. So where’s the difference in both?
The 100W+ boasted a Yihi SX330 V3 chip which was very easy on batteries, but the 150TC now boasts a slightly different Yihi SX330 V4S which is the same chip as the IPV3 Li is using.
The 100W+ could only provide 100W and the 150TC can do 150W or 100J if it’s in TC mode.

In TC mode, or Joule mode as it is called on the mod, it can fire up to 100J.
This should be plenty to have any coil ramp up in less than a second, especially considering most TC builds are very low in resistance.
The Joule mode is configured for Ni200, and that’s a very big disadvantage in my opinion, because Ni200 isn’t really made to withstand this kind of power even when it’s limited by temperature.
That also causes better materials like Ti01 or even SS not to be accurate on the 150TC, which is a bloody shame.
Since there’s no USB port on the mod, there’s also no chance for firmware upgrades unless you’re comfortable with taking the chip out and using an old fashioned programmer to hack your way into the code.

Then we come to the outside of the mod. The buttons are very different from the ones on the 100W+, in the sense that they’re smaller and have a bigger tactile feel to them.
Clicking the firebutton 5 times will turn the mod on, clicking it 5 times more will bring you into the menu system.
First option is System On/Off, to turn the mod on or off. Confirming the option happens by pressing the up button.
The second option is Power Mode or Joule Mode. Power mode is simply setting the wattage and vaping, while Joule mode requires a few more settings.
If you’ve selected Joule mode the next option will be Unit °C/°F, to set Farenheit or Celsius. Next is the temperature itself.
The last option is Exit, to get out of the menu system.

I’m going to be very honest with you here…
If you’re looking for a Sigelei mod, and you need 100W max, go for the 100W+.
If you’re looking for a Sigelei mod and you need more power, go for the Sigelei 150.
If you’re looking for a Sigelei mod and you want TC with Ni200, this is the right one.
But other than the TC mode, it has no advantages over the other two.
In fact I’d say the previous generation was better.

Aesthetics.

The 150TC has a very different look from the previous generation of Sigelei mods.
They’re not just square boxes anymore, this is more of a robust military look, especially in the matte black.

The buttons have drastically changed too, where the previous ones had big clunky buttons, the buttons on the 150TC are smaller and have a more tactile feel.

The display is still the same as it was on the previous generation. The mirrorfinish still gets in the way in sunlight, the same grid is still present on the display.

Magnets on the batterydoor are good, but I wish they’d actually hold the door in place. At this point the door is very easy to slide off and that can be a problem.

On the top of the mod are ridges that gather condensation and juice like crazy and they’re just thin enough to be hard to clean.
Other than sturdyness or aesthetic value, I see no actual use for these ridges. They’re just there to annoy you about dirty mods. And trust me, they will get dirty…

The matte black finish is great, it provides a great look and has a nice grip to it.
I’ve not noticed any chipping or scratching so far and I’ve been abusing the finish quite a bit.
The silicone sleeve is easy to slide on but it makes the mod too bulky. It also slides off just a tiny bit each time you grab the mod, just to sit right on top of the buttons.
You can solve this by making two small holes in the bottom of the sleeve and putting a rubberband through it. :wink:

The looks…

Comparing it to the Sigelei 100W+.

Pros and Cons.

Pro.

• 150W is plenty of power
  • Matte black finish looks great
  • Strong springloaded 510 connection
  • Nice tactile feel on the buttons
  • Rugged looking design
  • TC mode works well but only for Ni200

Con.

• TC mode works well but only for Ni200
  • No onboard charging, no firmware upgrades
  • Less efficient on batteries as the predecessors
  • Mirror finish on the display
  • Batteries are sometimes hard to put in
  • Ridges collect dirt

In conclusion.

The previous generation of Sigelei mods was obviously better in my opinion, there’s a big difference between the generations and it looks as if Sigelei has lost that certain “Sigelei charm” somewhere along the way.
That is to say, this isn’t a bad mod in its own right, it’s powerful and it looks great. It works well if a simple 150W mod is what you’re looking for.
The fact that it only supports Ni200 is a big disadvantage, especially since we’re already seeing a lot of mods implement native support for Ti01 and SS wires.
Because of this I think the temperature control is more a gimmick on this mod than an actual functionality.
Overall I’d say this leaves me with a mixed bag of “I don’t know” and “Well, it does look good”. I don’t hate it, but I also don’t love it like I love my 100W+…

In closing I would like to thank Gearbest.com for sending me the Sigelei 150TC for review!
And of course all of you who read my reviews, thank you very much!

Next week there will most likely be no reviews from me, I’m taking a short break to focus on a couple of deadlines.
But don’t worry, I’ll be back after that with a review of an underestimated and underappreciated RTA, the OBS Crius!

I’m always looking for more opportunities to review! Do you think your stuff has what it takes? Get in touch!
I can be reached on my website, via DM on Instagram, on the Facebook page, via DM on Reddit, or via DM on ELR.

#staycloudy !

SirRisc disappears in a cloud of cookie custard scented vapor

1 Like

Another great review my friend, however, I don’t think this sigelei will make it to my shopping list. Temp control being the culprit.
I think fine for ni200 lovers​:confounded:, and kanthal cruncher’s , but the way temp control is going (dna200board) i think this mod might get lossed in the muddy waters :smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I definitely agree that the DNA200 mods are the way to go for high powered TC (barring a few exceptions like the XCube II).
The Sig 150TC sort of got lost in the fray of mods on the market, it was released too soon (before people started using Ti or SS for TC) or it needed a USB connection to be able to receive updates. That’s the unfortunate way of a market that moves this quick though I’m glad I got a chance to use this mod. It’ll still be in my rotation just less of a flagship as my old Sig 100W+ :wink:

It is a good mod but i think it just missed the boat. If it was able to update, mabey, but as is, no. Too much choice out there now😜

1 Like