Smear-proof Labels?

@tartarusspawn @Steve-o_54 Do these printers (ZINC and Brother) print small enough labels for 30ml unicorn bottles?

2 Likes

The ribbon printer can print very small labels, down to 6mm width. The faff of having to prepare the label on computer/device is more than I am ready to put.
An 18mm/24mm label in portrait would do fine on a 30mm :unicorn: I reckon, as on the photo above

There is a brother model where you can use a tablet/phone to design the label and connect via Bluetooth. Felt like the best option to me when I thought about it.

4 Likes

These bottles are the 30ml unicorn bottles from dropper bottles.com.

With the ZINK I print a label to wrap the bottle…

Here’s my post about the ZINK

4 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion @tartarusspawn and everybody else.
My question is can you knock the bottle over and leave it swimming in an unnoticed pool of vg on the counter and still read the label a day or two later?

Now, i’m not saying that happens to me all the time (though it did happen once , TBH) I’m just trying to come up with an extreme example of the kind of stress a label might have to endure (especially around myself, cos I’m notoriously clumsy , and when my clumsiness reaches the extemes that I might as well just go bed, well, then, I just drop everything, go to bed, and clean up the next day)

1 Like

labels%201|374x500
mine will

2 Likes

What @SuperFrog said

Have you checked out this thread. I posted the picture above a good while ago there.

There may be some ideas there.

The painters tape would be a cheap easy solution especially for your testers that need to steep.

I have never had an issue with the labels smearing with this method and they pull right off of the bottle easy with no sticky residue left behind.

8 Likes

I use a label printer for smear proof…

You have the option to have two lines and the font can get pretty small…works for 30ml +

3 Likes

I simply print a label on a normal laser printer on normal paper, cut it out and use clear packaging tape to cover and attach the label. Before getting some package tape I used normal scotch tape that didn’t cover the entire label with one piece, but overlapped the individual pieces of tape top-down like roof tiles, so no drops would get in between the two pieces of tape.

I don’t know exactly why you get this problem @jay210, but perhaps it is because you are overlapping pieces of tape the wrong way, so drops get trapped and are “guided” in under the tape.

Edit: Not sure this method would survive being completely submerged in liquid, but it should be able to withstand normal drops or spills of liquid.

4 Likes

neither do I! :rofl: I most often don’t need to ovelap, but where I have overlapped (eg when none of my tape was quite the right width for the bottle in question) i’ve done it exactly like you.

I think it’s maybe just that nothing is quite foolproof enough for a fool like me. if there’s a way to cock it up, i’ll generally find it.

3 Likes

lol im happy to see im not the only one not making labels … i use masking tape and a sharpie no smears

my label maker

7 Likes

There was an offer :wink:

8 Likes

Well, blow me! where have I been living? I don’t recall ever hearing of these "Sharpies " before .

You guys have just simplified my life enormously…I think (but…umm… lets just wait and see how I manage to cock the Sharpie trick up before leaping to conclusions, shall we?)

Hugs all round!

4 Likes

Any permanent marker will do, the brand does not matter but it is used as a generic name in us/uk

5 Likes

i like the ultra fine point bc i have the worst hand writing

5 Likes

@jay210 Are you opposed to buying a label printer ? I’ve been using a Brother QL710w and continuous roll tape and not only does the tape roll last forever, but even with a matte finish, they say it has a duralast finish which I’ve found prevents any smearing on any of my labels, even wet with juice, just rub it off.

I rejected the idea of label printing until I tried it. The continuous tape rolls are very long, not expensive, and I’ve printed hundreds of bottle labels on the first roll. Here’s the new version…

5 Likes

For what it’s worth the painters tape is much more water / juice proof than plain making tape and does not cost that much more. I have used both.

6 Likes

@SessionDrummer not averse ; was actually considering that kind of solution , cos that would solve the problem of my crap handwriting too . But on the other hand, how the heck will i justify that kind of outlay to myself? Damn, that’s equivalent to six bottles of MF! :rofl: (don’t ask me how i justify the 28 bottles of MF. That’s differnt. Just…different. )

Hmmm… but hey! I find I can get a big pack of multicoloured Sharpies for a tenner! so I’l prolly defer that question of how to justify the printer…

OMG, that’s spooky. My Brother A4 laser printer just loudly burst into life for no reason at all, as I was typing this, like it’s trying to say “But I want a baby brother” :laughing:

6 Likes

Ah, When you mentioned “Painters tape” i thought you meant masking tape (as used by painters, Well, that’s what I used, as a cheapskate amateur, when i got into pastel painting)

I shall bear that in mind. I shall do more than bear that in mind, I shall look out for proper “Painter’s Tape” . Is that what it’s actually called? Can you recommend a particular brand (just to be sure that I get the right stuff)

1 Like

You can get fancy by the no names in reputable shops are usually all fine. Painters tape or masking tape is what you want. Mine cost less than a pound.

3 Likes

A friend of mine that paints for a living gives it to me. You can actually run it under water and it stays put and the permanent marker does not smear. If you do not want to use the link do a internet search for 3M Blue Painters Tape. It is available in the US at all major home improvement and hardware stores.

A quick amazon search US site this is the stuff he gives me.

https://www.amazon.com/ScotchBlue-Painters-Multi-Use-1-88-Inch-60-Yard/dp/B00004Z4DU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1527971160&sr=8-5&keywords=painters+tape+2+inch&dpID=5142A5mYpOL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

EDIT: The blue painters tape releases with out issues when you want to remove the label and does not leave behind anything. Sometimes regular masking tape does not do that and it is also not as resistant to fluids.

4 Likes