Smok Knight kit, we are the knights who TC Ni!

What’s up vapers!
SirRisc here with another gear review!

These Knight kits were sourced from Smok!

Premise.

It’s been quiet around the Koopor brand for a long time, but recently it was revived with a 300W beast called the Primus.
Now, the Primus wasn’t a mod for everyone. It’s big and bulky with its triple batteries, it has a power output that is absolutely insane, and it’s not the easiest mod to carry around.
So there had to be another mod to fill that gap, and that mod is the Koopor Mini 2.
Koopor being a subsidiary brand of IPVS Technology, the company that also owns Smoktech, can easily switch between branding.
That’s why this kit is marketed by Smoktech but has a Koopor mod included, though with mild aesthetic differences.

That little bit of info aside, it’s the performance that counts.
And that’s why we’re on this review, right? Right.
Let’s find out how the kit works, shall we?

Smok Knight kit

Specifications.

• Koopor Mini 2 and Helmet tank included in the kit
  • Single 18650 battery powered
  • 80W maximum power output
  • Temperature control for Ni, Ti, SS
  • Adjustable TCoR
  • Adjustable Initial Resistance
  • OLED screen
  • 2ml capacity
  • 24.5mm diameter
  • Available in orange, silver, white and black
  • Stylish print on the mod

Packaging.

The Knight kits come in newly styled packaging by Smok, a bright orange wrap around a black box.
On the bright wrap you’ll see a depiction of the kit in silver, which doesn’t mean they’re all silver editions.
There’s a sticker on the back of the wrap that will tell you which color is included, as well as the serial number.
Additionally there is a contents list and short introduction printed on the wrap, and a warning and disclaimer.

Opening the box will reveal the mod sitting in a black foam insert, which can be lifted out to get to the rest of the kit.
As always with Smok kits, the accessories are plentiful.
Starting with the batterysafety warning card, usermanual, and warranty card, and then finding the Helmet tank underneath.
Next to the Helmet tank is a USB charging cable, and below it you’ll find a spare coilhead and spare o-rings.

Performance.

The Koopor Mini V2 is the newest iteration of the Koopor family, and it uses a similar board to other Smok mods.
As I said in my review of the Quantum, the board Smok uses for single battery mods at the moment is an excellent base to build on.
Compare it to buying a car; you’ve got the basic package, or you can add the luxury package including satnav and heated leather seats.
A strange analogy but that’s basically how it works with these boards, they can be expanded on.

But I digress, it’s the performance we’re looking at.
The Koopor Mini V1 had a few issues. Mainly the fact that the firmware couldn’t be updated without additional hardware was a big issue for some.
For me, it always worked like a charm and I wasn’t really bothered with the firmware update issue. The mod worked out of the box, and it kept on trucking.
The Koopor Mini V2 has improved on that issue, its firmware is now easy to update with a regular USB datacable and Smok is fairly good with updates lately.
In terms of power it’s also a bit more powerful than the V1, instead of 60W it now puts out 80W from the single 18650 battery.

Considering it’s a similar board to the other single battery mods from Smok, the mod will have the same functionality.
So it does 80W at most, it can handle temperature control for Ni, Ti, and SS, as well as having an adjustable TCoR and adjustable initial resistance for finetuning.
Essentially it does the same things the Quantum or the Nano One does, just in a different package.

On top is the 510 connection, which has also been improved.
It’s a springloaded 510 with a goldplated positive pin, and so far it has recognized everything I’ve put on.
Including the Velocity clone with the extremely long 510, the Koopor Mini V2 just didn’t budge.

That brings me to the second part of this kit, the aptly named Helmet tank.
The Helmet tank uses a similar system to the Cubis, meaning it has the coilhead attached to the chimney which then gets dunked in a cup-styled body.
It’s a strange one, but it bloody well works a lot better than the Cubis which has some serious issues with flooding coilheads.

The Helmet tank is a 2ml tank with ample airflow for direct-to-lung hits, and top airflow.
The coilheads have slits around the chimney to provide airflow inside of the coilhead without touching the actual tank.
This provides plenty of airflow but also has a very negative side-effect, it’s loud.
Adding to that is the airflow ring on top causing a bit of turbulence, and you’ve got a draw that sounds like a jet taking off.
Definitely not a tank you can vape in subtlety.

The coilheads come in two variants, the first one is 0.6ohm clapton coil, the other a 0.4ohm clapton coil.
The vapor production from both these coils is substantial for such a small tank, but it doesn’t really suffer in terms of flavor.
Having said that I found the 0.6ohm coilhead had a better and more pronounced flavor but used a fair bit more power.
Where the 0.4ohm coilhead is rated from 20W to 45W with its sweet spot at 35W, the 0.6ohm coilhead is rated from 25W to 60W and its sweet spot is pretty much the 60W mark.
All of that is of course given that you prime the heads well before putting them to use. A couple of drops in the top of the coilhead and a drop on the wicking holes goes a long way.
I followed Smoks advice and left the tank standing for 5 minutes too before vaping, it works very well.

Aesthetics.

Aesthetically this won’t be a mod for everyone, and that’s just because of the print.
Personally I quite like the print but it’s a fairly big one and not everyone will like it, I’m sure.

Disregarding the print, the mod does come in 4 possible colors and one of them is about as bright as the sun.
The colors are the usual black, silver and white… and the fourth one is a hellish orange.
Don’t get me wrong here, I love the orange one but I need sunglasses to look at it if I’m somewhere with good lighting.
I won’t be losing that one anytime soon, haha!
One slight disadvantage to one of them; the silver one attracts fingerprints like crazy. This isn’t just true for the Knight kit, it happens with most shiny finishes unfortunately.

In terms of shape and design, the Koopor Mini V2 hasn’t changed much from its predecessor.
It’s a bit less heavy and the batterydoor is now held in place with stronger magnets, but other than that the mod still looks very much the same.
On the spine of the mod you’ll find all the buttons in stainless steel, with the bare screen slightly sunk into the mod.
The screen is bright and very easy to read, even in direct lighting it gave me no issues at all to read.
It uses a fairly big font too which improves the readability.
The buttons are nice and clicky, provide an excellent tactile feedback and given that they’re made from stainless they feel rather pleasant to the touch.
So far none of the mods have shown any signs of rattling, the buttons are machined with precision to fit the body as well as possible.

The Helmet tank is a small tank, but it does big things. It fits the mod seemlessly and the kit in itself feels substantial in the hand.
It’s small setup that is easy to carry around, and that can only be a good thing.

Pros and Cons.

Pro.

• Small setup
  • Complete kit
  • Good flavor from the Helmet tank
  • Excellent batterylife
  • 80W and accurate TC
  • No rattling buttons!

Con.

• Airflow is loud
  • 0.4ohm coilhead burned out fairly quick
  • Still a bit on the heavy side
  • Print won’t be to everyones liking

In conclusion.

The Koopor Mini V2 has grown out to be a well built and well designed mod. Taking the issues of its predecessor away and improving on the design has worked wonders for the viability of this one.
The functionality is next to perfect for starters and veteran vapers alike, but the looks might be a dealbreaker for some. The poweroutput and temperature control are both very accurate, and in such a small package it bodes well to make this a mod for day-to-day use.
In terms of batterylife it does pretty well too, despite being a single battery mod.
Would I buy another one if mine broke? Probably, though I do prefer the formfactor of the Quantum.

In closing I would like to thank Smok for sending out the Knight kits!
Thanks for reading, join me next time as I take a look at something entirely different, the Cthulhu RTA V3!

Need to reach me? Head over to my website.
Interested in what I vape daily? Check out my Instagram.
Want to know more about DIY? Head over to ELR.

#staycloudy !

SirRisc disappears in a cloud of forest fruit and creams scented vapor

DISCLAIMER: This review is based on personal opinions and is not intended as a promotion, endorsement or advertisement.
The publisher is not sponsored, affiliated or compensated in any way.

6 Likes

Those are really nice looking set ups.

1 Like

Hey look at that… $50.00

http://vapenw.com/knight-kit-80w-box-mod-by-smok

1 Like

$50 for a complete setup and a healthier lifestyle, I’d like to see any tobacco manufacturer beat that. :punch:

1 Like

I was reading about the battery, it needs a special battery?

No, just a regular ol’ 20A 18650. Samsung 25R or LG HE2 would be a good choice.

1 Like

I like that Orange…

1 Like

Another great review!

1 Like

nice looking unit that, needs an RTA deck though, Smok pre-mades …:confounded:…(shudders)
love the colours,

3 Likes

To be honest, the deck would be extremely small for this tank. If you’re looking to rebuild, you’d be better off with another tank. The Innokin Axiom would probably fit this mod quite well actually, it’s similar in form though you would lose the colormatching.

1 Like

Another awesome review @SirRisc !

Noo! :wink:

1 Like

Yeah Smok don’t really do an RBA coil like the old kangertech ones do they…?, you’d fit one of those in, prob lose a ml or 2 in the process but I reckon it could be done, it does look cool colour coded.

1 Like

They have for the smaller version of the TFV4, but there weren’t great either compared to the prebuilt coils. It does serve a segment of the market in the sense that rebuilding without having to invest in a new atty becomes viable, but it’s never as good as a true rebuildable.

I doubt this tank will get an RBA though, the space is just too limited to get a decent decksize going. The bottom of the coil, where the contact resides, is slightly sunk into the cup to keep the wicking holes at baselevel so there’s no room for a wider coil without doing weird things.

1 Like

hmm, they should maybe up their game with their pre mades then, but then again, to be honest I don’t know of anyone (no one I have used anyway) that excel in that area, But I have had some shocking, 1 day 2 day coils from Smok

1 Like

I’ve had some good experiences and some bad experiences with prebuilt coilheads really. Brand doesn’t really seem to make much difference… I’ve had Aspire coils burn out in under a day, I’ve had Smok coils last me for three weeks, Innokin coils spitting like a volcano and at other times give me a proper dense vape.
I prefer building my own coils for a reason :wink:

4 Likes

lol, got that right :+1:
Thanks for the awesome review man.

2 Likes

Yep another great review. These single battery mods always fail to compare to 2-3 battery mods, but they shine in that Pocket rocket portability and great for beginners who need something simple “…it is what it is” - Mama June (Here Comes Honey Boo Boo S03E05)

1 Like

I… you…

No. KILL IT WITH FIRE!

2 Likes

That orange one with the TFV4 Micro would be the shit!:grin:

1 Like