So what do (or did) Y'all do for a Living and Play?

He looked good in the July shows. I was always a Jerry guy. Bob brought the Rock, but Jerry brought the Soul (well, and the bluegrass).

1 Like

Check out John Williams if you like Classical Guitar. He is one of my favorites. And probably in the top 2 or 3 Classical Guitarists of all time.

3 Likes

Lol, was just gonna apologize to the OP for hijacking this thread and making it about music. Then I noticed youā€™re the OP.

I started this thread to get to know folks on here. Not my fault itā€™s attracting all the right sort! :wink:

Lol working the Canadian oil patch. So a week ago the company callse and says pack light itā€™s only a 12 job. So ok my pack some things I need and then make about 3 litres of juices so when I get back they are steeped. Last night after everything is closed I get an email telling me I might be getting shipped to the north slope of Alaska so bring gear for 6 mos. well I broght 2 bags with me did not have another one bag the big one now has all my flavours and juices in it cause there is no way Iā€™m leaving them for more than 2 weeks. Company bought me 3 thousand worth of helly shit last year and tomorrow morning they are not going to be happy I did not get their email in time. Course I might not have a job either lol

I too play the bass :+1:

I come from Iceland but have lived in Denmark for the last 10 years or so. Used to be a fishermen back home working as a captain, deckhand and engineer.

Got sick for about 6 years ago and started drinking way to much. Been sober for 6 months now ( Vaping helped me to quit all the crap) and loving life. Now I am looking for a job and have plans on finishing my mechanical engineering degree.

ā€¦ Married and father of 4 wonderful kids.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve posted in the other thread, but figured Iā€™d hit this one too. :stuck_out_tongue: Iā€™ve done a little bit of a lot of thingsā€¦I worked at a copy/printing place for awhile as a general gofer, sold shoes at a retail store, ran embroidery machines at a screen printing and embroidery place, ran a graphic/web design and photography business with the now ex (good riddance to both the ex and the business), and now Iā€™m in school with the hopes of getting a computer science degree and getting into bioinformatics (focused on biotech for my AS). Best laid plans and all that, but my hope is to get a cushy job thatā€™ll support me and my kiddo, send her to college someday, and give her a better life than I had. :smile:

8 Likes

Howdy folks,

Well, lets see, where have I worked/done. Joined the army in '73, had a mountain climbing accident in '74. Broke alot of bones. Didnā€™t get the title of disabled Vietnam Era Veteran until '99. Worked in finance from '76 til mid 90s. Became project manager at a hazardous transportation and disposal firm dealing with Rail/road incidentsā€¦did that for about 4 yrs. Worked as a web designer and computer repair (dealing/working with disabled vets only). Was one of two that created the VA Northern California Health Care website back in like mid 2000ā€™s (last I heard it was up to about 1100 pages based on our design). Went to work for Cisco Systems for 5 yrs, work in Customer Service. Been retired forā€¦I donā€™t know, 6 years, maybe? Wife retired from State Service 2 yrs ago. We just celebrated our 22 yr anniversary.

We have 2 sons (hers) and 2 daughters (mine), and 7 grandsons (ours)ā€¦no grand daughters and none in the foreseeable future. Not sure if that makes me happy or sad. I do some wire wrap jewelry and Iā€™m pretty good at it (nope, hasnā€™t crossed over to coils), have always done small woodworking projects, I piddle around with PVC (have made mods/holders, bows, slingbows, slingshots and some survival gear from it), just built my new gaming computer last month, play Shroud of the Avatar online when I can, building a new work bench for the garage come january (alot of the new tools for the workshop are coming as Christmas gifts, plans are all in place and collecting parts and pieces now). Play with leather working, and I am starting to play with creating my own knives using the stock removal method.

Lord, I could go on and on and feel like I have, but those are some of the high points of things I did and do. The most important of all is teasing and messinā€™ with the wife whenever the chance arises. Weā€™ve known each other for 40 yrs, and been married the last 22 of those.

Mac

5 Likes

Gotta add since it seems important to folks, I have a guitar under the bed, havenā€™t yet learned to play, but eventually will.

Hereā€™s some inspiration for yas,

Maneli Jamal - Lucid Drawl

Try a few of his other vids as well

2 Likes

I train technicianā€™s on how to work on Mitsubishi air conditioners, commercial and residential. Boring, and fun sometimes. I have two toddlers, so not much free time. I read a lot. Sci-fi mainly, but I like all genres if the book is good. I used to play guitar a lot, tons actually. Used to be really good at it, played live shows all over the place, then I got bored of rock/metal, and stick to playing flamenco/spanish classical in my garage lol. The last song I learned was El Choclo by Roland Dyens (he didnā€™t write the song, but his interpretation). My dad has tons of property, and I take my kids up there for 4 wheeling on weekends. Iā€™d say that sums most of it up. Those are some really cool guitars by the way. Andy Mckee is the bomb too, definitely underrated!

3 Likes

Man oh man, reading through this, I feel I lead a pretty boring life.
Although Iā€™ve experienced a bit in my few years. I had dropped out of school to start working around 16.
It all started as a ā€œtraffic control personā€ ( a flaggerā€¦). After 3/4 of a year of that, I traveled all around B.C. Canada, working under transmission lines clearing the right of way of tall growing vegetation, for 2 years of seasonal work. After that I bounced around to various jobs within town, moved in with my grandparents to help with bills and the chores of daily living until seeing them off. After working in town at a facility that crushes drill core samples to be sent of for analysis, tree servicing, corner storesā€¦ being denied a job at walmartā€¦ various other ā€œgreatā€ accomplishmentsā€¦ I got into sub contract dry walling around my hometown for a few years. Now I work for a bigger company, paid by the hour :D, on some significantly large projects. Hospitals, airports and the like. Which has me doing various things such as: hanging drywall, finishing drywall, painting, t-bar ceilings, steel stud framing, the list goes on. All of those skills were put to the test in order renovate , to make a nice cozy home for my little family, My SO and my 5 month old son and myself.
Any spare time that arises is generally dedicated to mixing or some light reading about diyā€¦ or maaayybe spinning a clapton coilā€¦My guitars are so neglected as of late. But that about does it for me, Sorry for boring yā€™all with my story. :wink: See ya in the recipe pile!

3 Likes

I have done a lot of drywall work in my day. I used to love it. My boss and his partner would hang drywall, then leave me there to mud it in. It was really fun work.

1 Like

Ill chime in here, as I think I have a prety cool job. I work for a craft brewery here in Alberta. For almost 6 years I worked in the oil and gas industry and about 2 years ago (before the shtf) I took a leap of faith into an entry level position at a brewery. It was a big change both financially as well as physically. Sitting at a desk for 6 years made me soft in the middle hahahaha. Now Iā€™m about 2 yearsin, 40lbs down, and having a blast. It really is a job that allows for so much fun to be incorporated into the work day. Before I began working for a brewery I thought a classy beer was Alexander Keiths lol. Now I dabble in some quite dark stouts as well as 100+ ibu ipas.

As for none work related things, Iā€™m sort of a colossal nerd. Like Warhammer 40k, board games, video games. Where the nerds at?? I do a bit of commission work related to table top wargaming as well. Assembly of models is my niche, but I also paint to a relatively decent standard.

4 Likes

Used to be a welder for 7 years then got back to school to be HVAC tech only to realise i was intolerant to solvants and oils. How amazing, BUT that made me change lines of work and now, iā€™m developping recipes for a juice company wich is awesome. Nothing happens for nothing they say.

Hard days at work!

Donā€™t worry we have a lab!

5 Likes

IT Deskside supportā€¦ more or lessā€¦ ISS2

Work

and play

2 Likes

Well, in the past I did apartment maintenance for a property of 160 townhomes. general stuff, nothing too indepth. Basic electrical, plumbing, and drywall were typically what my work orders looked like. (replace outlet, replace a shower head or valve stem, patch a hole).
More recently, I was a bench tech at a local computer shop. diagnosed, repaired, or built laptops and desktops. the occassional red ringed xbox needing to be reflowed(cheap ecosolder issuesā€¦ coughmicrosoftcough)
and, most recently I did mitigation for mold and sewage. Plumbers refer us out when a leak or flood damages walls, ceilings, or flooring. We go in with hygrometers, FLIR gun, and moister meter, and have the home owner file a claim with their insurance to have us tare out the affected areas, and rebuild it for them.
Since I recently left that company, I am about to start work at a deliā€¦ not my ideal position, but I canā€™t afford to wait around for something better, so, took what I could get for now, while I continue my search.
For fun, I enjoy tinkering with computers (just built the one I am on, last month, actually.) Also enjoy building RC cars, though the last couple years I havenā€™t been, because well, it is a money pit I canā€™t afford.
I recently quit smoking cigarettes 100%, and took to vaping as an aid in that. Now I am interested in the DIY side of things, and am getting the itch to start tinkering with some homemade mods, with my step-dad who already has many he has made, including a box he built out of an ankle monitor he ā€˜aquiredā€™ from his last job as a solder tech for a security firm :slight_smile: and the obvious one of DIY e-juices, which would certainly explain my presence here in the first place :slight_smile:

1 Like