Sobucky (SSA) Single Flavor Tests by SessionDrummer Series V -- Steeping Now!

@Letitia I think that would be the PERFECT way to describe it.

I personally haven’t paired it yet, but I think you nailed it.

5 Likes

Premium Strawberry (SSA) 1% / 2% (12-14-23) – With this, the ninth in this series of testing, I was starting to notice a trend with a few of the SSA flavors, where they were a little weaker than expected, and doubling them in strength seemed to suite them better. This one was one of those, wherein I started testing a 1%, and although a Strawberry, it just tasted thin, and underpowered, and after doubling it to 2% it was much better, and still felt like it could use a little more. It presented as a nice, slightly juicy, red, ripe strawberry. “Premium” will be hard to define for all of you, and I"m not sure if I’d label it or that not, but more on that later. At 2% it was fairly full, and it seemed to favor the middle of the SB, while missing out on much of the bright, sparkly top notes. There were a few there, but they were sparse, and there was a nice little tarty-ness on the finish. It had a certain “smooth” quality to it, and I think that was from a candy, almost light taffy-like undertone to it. I wouldn’t call it a “candied SB”, but it did have some of those aspects, so that might limit it’s uses. There were no off-notes, or florals, and it was just below mid-level sweet. All in, a good SB contender, that seemed centered more around the mid body notes of a red SB, missing some of the bright sparkly top end, and with some light candy, almost taffy-like elements thrown in. In comparison to the just tested Premium RB, I am going to rate this one higher, but still not into stellar territory, and leaving it at a 8.9/10.

10 Likes

It’s been so long since I used it but I see that I used it in quite a few of my popcorn mixes, so I must have liked it or at least found it useful. It looks like I liked to use it with Butter Toffee Base (VTA).

4 Likes

Fill in the blank for me.

2 Likes

Speaking of French Toast RFSC, I just found a bottle of Pure Raw French Toast 2. It may have been piffed to me. I don’t see it in the database. Do you know anything about it? All I know is that the Pure Raw line is great stuff!

2 Likes

@muth I don’t know what you mean by Pure Raw, but if you mean Real Flavors Extracts …

5 Likes

Raw french toast with a side of salmonilla

2 Likes

I believe before SC there was Raw Extract line that seemed to be different than the SC. Then they went to the SC line and the extracts disappeared completely

This thread talks about ot a bit…Pay attention to PVs comments , he seems to have the facts from Walt

4 Likes

Smooth Hazelnut Filling (SSA) 1% / 2% (12-16-23) – As was the case with a few of these new(er) flavors, I did have to double this one up from 1% to 2% for an improved experience At 1% I got a very light, creamy hazelnut, with a hint of chocolate, and doubling did increase the overall profile somewhat. It was still a somewhat laid back flavor, and at 2% it was getting a litter darker in my tester tanks. At 2%, I got the same slightly creamy hazelnut with an increased chocolate. I never really felt like it took on a full on Nutella, but it was TRYING to head that way. After a few testers, and doubling this one, it seemed like it would be better suited as a mixer/baser, than the star of the show. I actually tasted more Hazelnut off the finger than when atomized. It seemed like it needed a litte “more” to really pop, but I left it solidly at 2% for the remaining tests. At the higher weight, it was somewhat improved, and with no real off-notes, except a slight bitterness on the finish, BUT, that actually worked to authenticate the hazelnut. Sweetness levels were a few ticks below mid-level sweet, and overall the hazelnut DID seem to be more pronounced than the chooclate. With the chocolate lower in the mix it was hard to fully flush out, and it was more of a mid dark chocolate, which did seem to pair well with the HN. All in, an interesting flavor, but due to it’s fairly relaxed nature, even doubled, I think it would be best suiting for adding as a mixer to a recipe. Tasty, but it just never really wowwed me. Placing it at a 7.5/10.

10 Likes

@fidalgo I remember when they came out, and I still have OG bottles, which are both RAW and SC !!!

Regardless of what name they threw on them, the biggest different seemed to be the carrier and strenghts. The VG’s were much weaker, and took much longer to steep, which is why most of us went the Extract or SC route.

5 Likes

SD, I see you’re playing with SSA at 1% and i was wondering at what percentage do you use them later in your mixing adventures? Just curious, because (to me) except a few, they all work better at 2-3% for solo testing (and i think i am more able to recognize their usage potential if pushed higher).

Also, if SSA used as the main flavor in a recipe i nearly always push them way higher than 1% (asking because for other brands we are pretty close at percentage used for solo testing, often you test them even higher, well except here where the difference is huge, 100% or 200% yuuge).

5 Likes

Damn, that C&C… can’t get it anywhere in Europe for years. I would easily put it in my top10 flavors of all times. No… it would be in my top5, completely irreplaceable.

4 Likes

Thanks for asking @Mikser. I think for almost 3 years, Sobucky’s have (or had) proved to be more of an actual Super Concentrate, and I had been testing them at 1% with no issues previously.

Now granted, I could have tried to nit-pick each individual flavor, and try to use individual percentages for each, but that would blow up the backlog. Mixing with them, I would say typically 0.5%-2.5% on average.

With these new(er) flavors (some, not all), they are indeed working out better higher, and that was unexpected, given the years of testing them previously.

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

@SessionDrummer have those bottles look at this one compared

And then there were these …

I knew i had at least 1…I can still smell the alcohol when i open this

Yes @SessionDrummer please flip the pic

3 Likes

I was going to reply but I think Fiddy answered already.

2 Likes

This is probably my favorite Raspberry right now. Here are my notes

SFT 2% premium raspberry SSA

Deep red raspberry, saturated flavor, no seeds, no off notes. Slightly candied, sweet. I’m not pulling completely authentic raspberry, nor does this hold a candle to MF (obviously), but this works in bakeries, with creams or custards, drinks, see “Twist My Lemons” I will absolutely keep this in my stash. It’s not candied like shisha INW. Great raspberry!! No floral!

I use this between 1-2%, in a mix.

3 Likes

Thank you @Lynda_Marie. Do you prefer the Premium over the RB Syrup ?

2 Likes

I think they are different, I think raspberry syrup isn’t as candied, but I also think it’s not as saturated as premium. I like them both but lately I’ve been reaching for premium more. It worked really nicely in my lemonade recipe. Indesisive at the moment. I’ll retest raspberry syrup again to see.

3 Likes

Here are my notes on Raspberry syrup, I didn’t think I had written them down

I’ve been meaning to add my notes on this one
SFT’d 1% 70/30 zero nic.
What I get from this concentrate is a really ripe, red raspberry. Not completely syrupy, and not too sweet. It’s not candy like. It’s almost like syrup part should have been left out of the name. This is useful in drinks IE: lemonades, fruit punches, smoothies, or custards, doughnuts, with other fruits (duh) it doesn’t fade easily. It’s a smooth rounded red raspberry. I’ve not taken it above 1.25%. My preferred in a mix is .50-1.25%
Solo-no
Main-maybe? I find this great as an accent to other fruits or a background. It can hold its own too.

5 Likes

Strong Strawberry (SSA) 1% / 2% (12018-23) – I had originally thought to run this one much lower, as it was billed as a “strong”, but I left it at the 1% rate, and then doubled it to 2% for the duration. At 2% it didn’t appear to be hitting the ceiling, muting, or bending. It was and interesting blend of Strawberry types, and they were sweet, candied, and jammed, ALL in one package. Even at 2%, while very present, it wasn’t heavy or overpowering, and it was tasty. Because it seemed to straddle a few types, this one could, and will have a lot of uses. Smelling it in the bottle, there was a much higher amount of jammy-ness, and almost pectin, but testing it, they receeded a bit, and the sweet, and candied became more pronounced. 3 testers in, it was still interesting, and fairly complex, and kept my interest, especially with the jammy kick on the finish. I have to admit, while rolling through the testers, I DID have the urge to splash it into some cream, and milk to see how it would “pink” up a milk (I’ll do that after the last flavor in this series). All in, it was a surprisingly complex SB, with hints of sweet, candied, and jammed, with a nice tarty jammy finish. While not supa dupa strong, it was still pretty strong, and tasty. Leaving this one at a high 9.5/10.

11 Likes