Sobucky Super Aromas (SSA) Single Flavor Tests By SessionDrummer

Wow, I may have to long(er) steep some as well.

6 Likes

New SSA are here!

Strong Strawberry
Premium Strawberry
Premium Raspberry
Mango Pulp
Double Cream
Double Watermelon
Cola Candy
Candy Liquorice
Red Apple
White Grape
Lemon Pound Cake

10 Likes

6 Likes

Whoohoo
Cola Candy :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

17D1052C-9563-4DDA-980F-9C6564F2B102

4 Likes

Ok so i used the ripe coconut in my mexican fried ice cream and at 1% it has become the dominate flavor which is mind blowing. Seeing i have a lot of other flavors in it. I needed it to be a accent not the star. It literally has muted the cinnamon i put in it :joy::joy::joy: only going to put .3% next mix hopefully thats not too much :joy::joy:

4 Likes

Holy crap, I wouldnā€™t have expected that !!!

3 Likes

Either did i lol

3 Likes

Hallelujah, someone else said it for me. Iā€™d like to watch more mixing shows to learn but not at the expense of my time and patience. Iā€™m utilitarian that way. If itā€™s a tutorial then be a tutorial. If itā€™s a casual, shoot the sh*t kind of show then call it that. Besides, what makes other peopleā€™s opinions more valuable than the ones right here?

3 Likes

@Gazza7 @Lucas_James_Holden I am simpatico with the both of you on caramels, toffeesā€¦I just ordered a caramel and English Toffee from VSO that received sound reviews. I realize that toffees can translate differently from across the pond but Iā€™ll let you know if that astringent, burnt, icky experience is present. I have high hopes. I know that SD gave high ratings to VSOā€™s Caramel/Green Apple.

6 Likes

Oh I had to say it even though I donā€™t like upsetting the apple cart so to speak, I am also glad that I am not alone in my point of view. This is why I like the old school tutorials of yesteryear that were made with the sole intention of teaching and learning. As I said in another thread about the Developed and Noted show on YouTube, they donā€™t do shoutouts and even though they have a little fun and banter between themselves it never gets loud or detracts from the task in hand and derails the show. On a personal level I do find that too much rowdiness like people shouting over the top of other people that are shouting and too many distractions triggers my P.T.S.D so the more quiet and relaxed approach is the only way for me to be able to watch these shows.

7 Likes

Is the cherry cola recipe one that needs a steep to bring the flavour out only i mixed it 2 days ago and tbh Iā€™m getting next to no flavour from it at all ?

4 Likes

Apparently not. @SessionDrummer the creator of the recipe would be the best person to ask.

5 Likes

Tbh Iā€™m having a hard time with the ssa Iā€™m really struggling to get any satisfying flavour from the ones iv got and the ones iv got are the ones session drummer rated the highest in his reviews, iv been mixing for over 8 years so Iā€™m quite sure itā€™s not something Iā€™m doing wrong with that part.

2 Likes

Obviously everyoneā€™s pallet is different so what might work for one person may have entirely different results for another. I have problems tasting these ultra low percentage recipes that seem to be popular these days where others say itā€™s full of flavour and describe all sorts of deliciousness. Have you single flavour tested these SSA concentrates that you have and if so at what percentages? You obviously know what you are doing after all of these years of mixing so I donā€™t know what else to say without me sounding like Iā€™m insulting your intelligence as an experienced mixer.

7 Likes

Yes Iā€™m single flavour testing all the ssa and at the same % that session drummer did, iv a feeling from doing a lick test with the concentrate that itā€™s possible these could get chemically very quickly but I will try raising the % very slightly to see what happens.

7 Likes

@Dippy1 Iā€™m not sure why youā€™re not getting any flavor, and steeping the Cherry Cola really only helps to meld the Cherry and Cola better, so they present as a single flavor, as opposed to 2 separate flavors. The flavor doesnā€™t UP-steep (get stronger), and the ā€œfizzā€ that is from the Cola, ever so slightly reduces, but thatā€™s about all that changes with a steep.

5 Likes

@Dippy1 thatā€™s interesting. SSAā€™s are typically stronger flavors, with some approaching Ultra Concentrated. I am not sure what equipment youā€™re using, and/or if thatā€™s muting flavors ? As far as doing anything wrong, Iā€™m not sure. Do you typically have issues tasting lower percentages of flavors ? What percentage of flavors are in a recipe you CAN taste ?

5 Likes

It all depends in everyoneā€™s pallet. What i found is that some of the most spectacular and sexy SSA are pretty shy and quite reserved for any party, while those just a step below are desperate to make love with other flavors and ready for nearly any gangbang you can imagine.

For me some of the best SSA flavors which are great as a stand alone are pretty lousy mixers. It might be because they are nearly perfect and every change is making them less perfect, less convincing and some of their magic get lost. Nectarine is a good example; for me itā€™s probably the most natural tasting fruity flavor and i can use it very high (even tried it at 3% and itā€™s still ok; but i prefer it at half of that), while in recipes is a lousy mixer; i use it somewhere in between 0.07-0.15% lately (i have one recipe in steeping at 3%, but when experimenting on my own i use it very low). Cola is fantastic flavor on its own, but i was never able to make a better-than-cola-solo recipe. Cappuccino is what you want from a (home-made powdery) cappuccino and again stand alone is more satisfying than any mix i made with it (partly because itā€™s too shy; it would be better if it was a bit stronger). Same is with Irish Cream.

But on the other hand you have some really great mixers; Whipped Cream, Sweet Yogurt, Milky Caramel Fudge, Shortbread Cookie, too many to mention them all. I also have issues with some flavors that others donā€™t it seems; like Apple Strudel (blind testing iā€™d never guess it), Borneo Vanilla (ok, butā€¦meh), Raspberry Blackberry Lemonade and yes, Mocca apparently is just not my thing. I have about 40-45 SSA and only about 25% of those i regret buying. Pretty good average.

8 Likes

The kit I use most is squonkers and rtaā€™ so tbh I truly donā€™t think the kit is the problem at all, I do have some issues tasting a few in the FA line at around 2% but by bumping them up to 5% sorts that issue out and I have no issues with the run of the mill concentrates at all. Most of my mixes range from 10% to 18%, maybe the SSA just arenā€™t for me :slightly_frowning_face:

5 Likes