Sobucky Super Aromas (SSA) Single Flavor Tests By SessionDrummer

@SessionDrummer great to hear how well the Rhubarb turned out. As kids, we used to pick it at the edge of the woods and munch on it but I think that’s where my rhubarb exploration stops. But that’s what I say about other flavors too :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

I’m waiting to hear something about the Butterscotch (Rich). Why go weak when you can have rich? I just hope it’s not too butyric.

7 Likes

@SessionDrummer

Thank you for taking the time to do all these SFTs. Looks like SSA is similar to FLV in terms of potency in direct relation to cost.

Some of these flavors (ie Compote Cherry) list:
Solubility in Water: NO
Carrier: Glycol

What gives?

I couldn’t find “Cheesecake on Graham”. The only Cheesecake available is the Lemon one. Odd.

Also, any idea what does the “TPD:No” term (on some of the flavors) mean?

Thanks

3 Likes

I’m sure they mean propylene glycol – a harmless water soluble solution used to suspend flavors in.

3 Likes

@IsNoGood1 welcome to ELR. I can’t decipher all of their website, as most show as NO for water solubility. TPD in terms of flavors is ??

3 Likes

TPD = Tobacco Product Directive its a european thing …

6 Likes

Yes exactly. PG is the carrier, yet the flavor is insoluble in water. Notice the contradiction?

If, on the other hand, ethanol is the carrier (as in Natural Lemon, for example) usually means most (if not all) of the flavor will float on top of the bases and most likely will never really blend in. I could be wrong on this one.

3 Likes

I use a frother to mix my juices and have never had a “non soluble” flavor separate even after months of steeping. If you have questions contact SSA directly via an email. If you get an answer please come back and let us know what they replied.

5 Likes

I must disagree…MF Silver line are all suspended in Ethanol and they do not separate …It might be because they are Natural Extracts :person_shrugging::person_shrugging::person_shrugging:

5 Likes

When I had started mixing, I started with the TPA line. In 15 ml glass bottles. The first flavor I tried to mix was TPA Cinnamon. But I didn’t shake the bottle. The end result was an awesome 1st mix (2nd mix was so-and-so) and a bunch of dull ones.

4 Likes

I asked
“1. Some flavors list Glycol as the carrier. Is glycol = propylene glycol (aka PG)?
2. If in the previous question, the answer is PG, then how come some flavors (whose carrier is glycol/PG) aren’t soluble in water? For example, Compote Cherry.
3. What does it mean if a flavor isn’t TPD compliant?”

Their reply
“1. Yes, the PG stands for Propylene Glycol. We only use Pharmaceutical grade propylene glycol, approved in food industry
2. Some are PG, but also include other carries such triacetin, or ethanol and due to different ingredients making the actual flavour profile, could not be dissolved in water or would need to be heated up and stirred for a longer period of time to be successfully dissolved
3. TPD – Tobacco Product Directive – this provide information that the flavour does not contain substances which might be forbidden by the directive”

====
I guess your frothing unifies, somewhat, your mixes. But frothing introduces (additional) air into the mix, which would be almost equivalent to breathing your mixes; unless you froth them with the lid on.

6 Likes

I only froth for several seconds then bottle. I don’t breathe my mixes. Granted the froth does create air but so does shaking.

5 Likes

I finally got the ice cream vanilla and after using it then do a solo test this stuff is almost spot on to ted drewes frozen custard. It has a lot of the body of frozen custard im quite enjoying this. Working on a recipe now hopefully it turns out good

8 Likes

12 MORE new SSA (available at Nomnomz)

Burnt Caramel Tobacco
Berries (Forest)
Sweet Banana
Soft Waffle
Raspberry (Sour)
Blueberry (Fresh)
Cassis Syrup
Mango Mint
Ripe Pineapple
Coconut with Chocolate
Coconut Cookie
Strawberry Watermelon
8 Likes

Might be just what i need to finally make my Thimbleberry… I have said that a few times tho.

6 Likes

Thanks a lot for the heads up @mikser.

:slight_smile:

6 Likes

https://nomnomz.co.uk/product-category/flavourings/super-aromas/?orderby=date

6 Likes

@SessionDrummer Hey brother, with the soft waffle in SSA, we don’t have that at the moment. What woukd you suggest that we substitute it with ?

2 Likes

I’ve never tested that one, but I did test the Crisp Waffle, do you have that one ?

Crisp Waffle (SSA) 1.0% (9-19-20) – When smelling in the bottle, this reminded me of the original INW Waffle YC. Having never solo’d that one, I could not directly compare the two. Vaping this one, revealed a very rich, and full waffle, BUT, with no distinct butter or maple syrup, which was GREAT. That way you could use it in far more recipes, but alter with B and MS if/as needed. Outstanding. I wasn’t sure where to test this one, and it’s POSSIBLE that 1.0% may have pushed it too far, but read on, and you decide. At the testing weight it did not feel like it was hitting the ceiling, but the “toasted” or “burnt” notes that I was getting, along with a peanut were emerging on the back end of the vape. Now that’s not to say that they got in the way OF the waffle in any way, shape, or form, they did not, but they were present. I will probably have to re-test this lower at maybe 0.50%, just to see. Even with the very small (not offensive, but present) alternate notes, this one WAS indeed a super delicious waffle. It had some dark, rich undertones, which may have been from the burnt/toasted element, but overall it did not taste burnt, like burnt toast, but merely had some of it, in the finish. Belgian, American, Wheat ?? Hard to say, but it leaned mid to darker, and away from a lighter, and not towards a wheat, so we’ll settle on a mid-dark waffle. Sweetness was just below mid level, and despite looking HARD for any butter or maple syrup, it was not to be found here. There was a certain richness/fullness that almost implied butter was in there, but you couldn’t pick it out. Even at 1.0% with some of the burnt/peanut push at the end, it never left focus on the waffle, so your tastes will dictate the effect of them, and/or if lowering the rate would reduce them further. All in, for a naked waffle, with some impressive almost bakery grainy-ness, this one’s got it. I will amend this review if I get time to test lower, and at this testing weight, it feels good at 8.5/10 .

10 Likes

Now BCF needs more SSA!!

4 Likes