Sony 18650 battery VTC 4& VTC5

February 23rd, 2016

Dear MFS Customer,

Our records indicate that you have purchased one or more Sony VTC 18650-size batteries from MyFreedomSmokes. This letter is to inform you of an important advisory from Sony Electronics, the manufacturer of the VTC4 and VTC5 batteries, regarding the use of these products in vaping devices.

Sony has stated that the VTC battery is not intended for use in any vaping/electronic cigarette device, and that the use of their batteries in such devices presents a danger of fire or explosion.

Sony has not indicated that the VTC batteries are faulty in any way, nor have they issued any recall on VTC batteries, however they have made clear that they are in no way responsible for improper use of their batteries in unapproved devices such as vaping box mods and mechanical mods.

Following our receipt of this letter, MyFreedomSmokes has decided to stop selling Sony VTC4 and VTC5 18650-size batteries. We also wish to inform you, as the owner of one or more VTC batteries, that you are solely responsible for how you choose to use your VTC battery or batteries. As a responsible and well-informed vaper, you should be aware of the risks associated with the use of high-amperage batteries in any application, including vaping. More information on 18650 battery safety is available here: http://onvaping.com/battery-safety-and-ohms-law/

Below is the letter from Sony Electronics in its entirety:

Sony Electronics Inc.
16535 Via Esprillo, San Diego, CA

2/4/2016
My Freedom Smokes
1039 Carrier Dr.
Charlotte, NC 28216
support@myfreedomsmokes.com

Dear Sir/Madam:

It has come to our attention that you are offering, or have in the past offered, lithium-ion rechargeable battery cells, purportedly manufactured or supplied by Sony, for sale or use with e-cigarettes, vaporizer pens or other such products. Bona fide battery cells that are manufactured by Sony are at times commonly designated or known as Sony “VTC” battery cells. These battery cells were made only to be used in connection with the assembly of battery packs of products such as power tools, which have the necessary enclosure, protective devices and circuitry that enable safe usage of these battery cells. Sony lithium-ion rechargeable battery cells (including those with “VTC” designation) are not intended for use without such packaging or circuitry, and should not be used as a stand-alone product for instance with e-cigarettes, vaporizer pens or other products of any type.

The use of any Sony lithium ion rechargeable battery cells as a stand-alone product, including with e-cigarettes, vaporizer pens or other products, constitutes a DANGEROUS misuse of the battery cells that poses a SERIOUS RISK of personal injury or property damage. This matter is significant enough that the U.S. Fire Administration, an arm of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency, released a report (https://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/pdf/publications/electronic_cigarettes.pdf) in October 2014 warning against the dangers involved with improper battery cell use, storage and charging of battery cells in e-cigarettes. See also a recent statement from the Consumer Technology Association on lithium ion battery safety available at http://www.ce.org/Consumer-Info/Battery-Safety.aspx. Accordingly, if you are currently selling or distributing stand-alone Sony lithium-ion rechargeable battery cells, other than in the condition and for the purpose originally intended by Sony, you must immediately cease doing so. Sony believes that you should also immediately notify any person to whom you have sold or supplied any stand-alone Sony lithium-ion rechargeable battery cells of the danger associated with the misuse of such battery cells and instruct them to immediately cease using and return the cells to you.
Please contact Sony’s consumer product safety office at cps@am.sony.com should you have any questions or concerns.

Very truly yours,

Julio Posse
Director of Product Safety

I thought to post this about the Sony battery’s. They are green with 18650 2100mAH 3.7V on them . I only use them in a single battery mod, at .50 -.03 Ohms and 20-23 watts. Should be ok for what I use them for. Or should I replace them. have anybody hear about this.

2 Likes

People have been running all kinds of stress tests on the VTC4s and 5s, so chill. They just don’t want to get into any law suits when people use their batteries improperly or without knowing what they’re doing. The part about stopping to sell them for vaping looks like a precaution against negative media reports - imagine what the uneducated might think when they read that some dumba** stacked three VTC4s or whatever and they blew up. That might rub off on Sony’s image and result in less sales of their battery cells.

3 Likes

Looks that way to me too. I would like to see an explanation as to why they are safe to use in power tools but not in a mod. I’ve got six of the VTC5 batteries and use them in my rx200 and I will continue to use them :grinning:

1 Like

There just publishing there disclaimer so if someone blows there face off, they can’t get suede.
Both those batts are widely used.

1 Like