Spectrum Sucks

Is Orbi a wifi extender ?

Ok Thanks, i thought maybe i was being ripped off.

Also, do you know what blacklist means. I tried to log onto ELR from my phone and for some reason i cant…Im taken to a page that says my Ip address is blacklisted.

Here ya go :+1:

1 Like

I reboot/restart my devices about twice a week. Sometimes more.

2 Likes

Ok Thank you.

1 Like

I didn’t say you aren’t getting ripped off, but it would be a very unwise move by Spectrum if they intentionally failed to meet your SLA so odds are you’re definitely not getting ripped off. What I’m saying is the bandwidth advertised is theoretical really, because there are always factors that degrade the actual bandwidth by the time it gets to your streaming TV set. Factors mentioned above like device performance, operating system performance, drivers and chipsets, interference, viruses/bloatware, non-household members sucking off your bandwidth, the IP protocol itself, etc.

It comes down to two factors really… One, are you just used to the performance and it just isn’t as whizz-bang as it used to feel when you first upgraded, or two is it actually provably slower, i.e. comparison readings from months ago to now. If it’s provably slower, then you have two possible issues. One, Specturm has an issue with your router or elsewhere in their network, or two, it is one of the factors mentioned above, in your network.

Spectrum is obligated to perform checks on their network and your router to try to troubleshoot. Those checks should be no charge. If they find some source of latency beyond the demarcation (in your house), they will report that and offer a paid service to investigate further (you can decline that of course) At least that will tell you where the problem generally is; your network or theirs. May be worth a shot to call them.

2 Likes

When i first switched from time warner to Spectrum (didnt have a choice) My connection was wonderful. I didn’t experience buffering or any weird glitches. A few months ago i called them to find out my speed was getting so slow. The technician performed some sort of modification. It worked great for about two weeks. They sent me one of there routers and it got worse, so i switched back to my old router. For the past few nights around 1 am, i will lose my connection and when i try to log onto my laptop i get a message stating that i don’t have wifi. A technician will be out next week to troubleshoot the issue.Silhouette suggested that maybe i need a new router. My personal one is about 6 years old. It’s getting really frustrating because i do my homework between 12-2 am on some nights. Not having wifi access or when i do its very slow is so frustrating.

2 Likes

I noticed a drop in performance once TW changed over to Spectrum and it’s been up and down ever since.

2 Likes

If you have to do that so often, that’s not right. You should try and do a firmware upgrade (per instruction manual, google if you can’t find it). If you haven’t done so in recent months, you really should to plug a few security holes in your wireless connection.

If you still need to reboot so often, then your router has either a hardware problem or you are operating your device at or above its capacities, which means you need to spend a little extra on your next router.

I’d say a monthly reboot would be OK, if you need to do it more often, you need an upgrade but that doesn’t mean you immediately have to spend 100’s. There are good cheap routers.

2 Likes

I only reboot my smaller devices more frequently. My phone, tablet, firestick. My router only once in a while. I always make sure the router and extender are running latest firmware. Especially since my router is flashed with VPN. I’m using a Linksys wrt1900acs. Love the thing.

3 Likes

Yes I know, it so frustrating.

1 Like

I think time warner got sued for lying to customers about internet speed or something like that. BUT i didnt have any issues with time warner at all. Prices were better and speed was better. Thinking about switching to verizon.

2 Likes

If rebooting your devices doesn’t work, call your provider, if that doesn’t work, change to a different provider.
If your provider doesn’t respect net neutrality, you could just be throttled down for certain services and there’s not much you can do about it but change to another one, and pray they don’t do the same thing.

2 Likes

@robin, as mentioned above, rebooting/power cycling and freshen up devices and speeds. I have FIOS and still have buffering issues at times, power cycling the router seems to do the trick, and I’m pretty sure Verizon cheaped out on them with slow processors, light RAM, and small NAT allocations which causes them to choke. The newer router/modems are supposedly better, but ehh … You had asked about hard wiring your TV, and yes, you can def. (depending on your home and ability to run and/or hide the wiring) run a CAT 5/5e to your TV and it will remove ALL of the WIFI based problems, but leaves the modem / router still in the mix. I always advise hard wiring whenever possible. A super easy way to TEST whether or not your WIFI connected TV (or router/WAP) is causing the problem, is to temp. lay a wire across the carpet (or floor) from your router/modem to your TV, and connect over your LAN (hard wired CAT 5 wire connected) reboot your TV and providers equipment, turn off WIFI in the TV, and let it roll over the CAT 5 and see what you get then.

2 Likes

Ok thank you. I will try to connectmy TV over my LAN.

2 Likes

My connection went wacky and all it was was a loose wire. Check all connections are tight

2 Likes

If that does actually turn out to be a dramatic improvement (compared to wifi), you might check to see if your router is running on a channel that’s over saturated (for your area).
Especially in apartments, college dorms, and other densely populated areas.

If you are running Android on your phone, there’s an irreplaceable app called “Wifi Analyzer” by Farproc, that will enable you to see how many wifi signals are in your area, what channels they’re on, and a whole lot more! If you run your router on a channel that’s densely populated, you can have a variety of negative issues…it’s amazing what a simple channel change can do in certain circumstances. :wink:

3 Likes

I second wifi analyzer !!

3 Likes

If WiFi Analyzer doesn’t show any anomalies, see of there’s a spectrum (not Spectrum BTW) analyzer app too. WiFi Analyzer is protocol specific, but a spectrum analyzer will listen for any noise, i.e. bluetooth devices, a microwave oven, fluorescent light fixture, anything that may possibly be contaminating the 2.4 or 5 gHz wavelengths that WiFi lives in.

2 Likes