Spectrum Sucks

My internet is getting slower and slower. When i now try to watch Netflix or Hulu or use my firestick, the movies always buffer. This is pissing me off. Is there a way to check my internet speed? I’m supposed to get 100 Mbps. I really don’t know what that means. Can someone tell me how to check the actual speed?.

2 Likes

Test your speed on wifi and hardline if possible. Wifi will always be less.

6 Likes

just for reference:

Wi-fi adds latency rates to your connection that are 10 times or worse compared to hardwired. This latency is extra delay in sending streams to your machine. .

The posted internet speed from your service provider is always based on hard-wired internet only. If you are paying for “100 megabyte” internet service, know that this only applies in hard-wired situations and that wi-fi can decrease your speed by 75%!

5 Likes

Is there a way to hard wire my televison?

1 Like

not unless there is a ethernet port in it. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that to be honest.

2 Likes

If it is anywhere close to 100 Mbps it should be more than fast enough for streaming.

The problem is most likely not the raw speed, but more likely something else like lost packages, latency or whatdoiknow. I recently had a similar problem and managed to solve it by experimenting and changing my whole network configuration. Unfortunately I can’t tell you exactly what the problem was, or what I changed that solved it, as I’m no network expert.
BTW: The Spectrum doesn’t suck :rage:

It was an excelent computer for its time :nerd_face: :wink:

5 Likes

how far away is your router from your tv?

4 Likes

I wouldn’t know what to do with 100mb. I’d have bits and bytes pouring everywhere. I only get 6mb out here in the sticks, and with overhead it;s more like 4.5 on a good day.

If you are having issues with the wireless, you can always get a WiFi range extender and plug it in close to your trouble spot.

Remember, if you are testing your internet speed from a wired PC, it will not be the same as from a wireless device, as a matter of course.

2 Likes

And is always only from the demarcation (i.e. Spectrum’s router). It will be lower than you think behind that. Many factors are involved.

3 Likes

I recently installed an Orbi for a customer that has a range of 5000 sq feet. The house is very old with many levels and it seems to work very well for him. I wouldn’t say that it the best option based on price alone though.

3 Likes

Oh, and of course, if you see degradation over time, there’s always bloatware, viruses, and even good old neighbors hopping on for a free ride! And the need for updated drivers, clearing caches, blah blah blah.

4 Likes

If you have a streaming device, the best thing you can look for is that the device has the option to be hardwired to the router, and not be limited MBPS capacity that is less than your max internet speed. A small $40 box, or a xbox, or a LAN-PC.

(I get 1000 mbps download, I don’t want a device that would cut off or max out at a fraction of that)

2 Likes

You’d soon die in my neighborhood.

1 Like

bane%20internet

I think i’ll be fine, I’m familiar with the ways of the old.

2 Likes

Yeah, Speculum er Spectrum sucks. Speeds all over the place all the time.

I bought two FireTV sticks a couple years ago. One for me, one for mom. I was trying to get her off of satellite TV at the time…(and she of course ended up falling in love with Netflix -like I told her she would… LMAO)

Anyways, all hardware is not created equal. Her FireTV stick definitely has issues at times. But more importantly, mom almost never remembers to reboot her device as frequently as she should. Especially given how much she watches. (She also forgets to reboot her phone too… And then wonders why it starts acting stupid. And the first question I ALWAYS ask is “When is the last time you rebooted it?” which is promptly met with a blank stare whole she tries to remember…

Moral of the story: do a FULL REBOOT at least once every 3-4 days. don’t just put it to sleep. That doesn’t reboot the OS.

Go into Settings > Device > restart.

If that fails, you should occasionally clear the cache on the Netflix app itself.

Settings > Applications > manage installed apps > clear cache

2 Likes

I have a tv 10 inches from the router. My other TV’S are about 18-20 feet away. I did the speed test and the PING is 37 Download speed is 51.66 and the upload speed is 9.14

Ummm I never re-boot. I will from now on. I havent been able to use my firestick for a few days. I also tried to add the updated Kodi app, which didnt work out so well. Ill try to clear the cache to see if that helps.

2 Likes

That is definitely more than enough speed to stream. :thinking:

2 Likes

Maybe i should re-boot the router and devices.

2 Likes