Spoiled PG/VG

How bad is it to vape bad PG ( slight alcohol/acetone smell) I ve thrown out the VG too just in case , it was same brand/lot .
I’ll probably vape it anyways cause I lost much money so far with shake and vapes I didn’t like (8-12mg always).
I ve made about 80ml of diy juice with it
I realised it’s bad when I got new VG/PG and it was 1000% odourless .

6 Likes

@teodoris10 I’ve never had PG that was odorless, as it always smells like, well, PG. I’m not 100% sure your carriers were bad, BUT, as always is the case, if you smell something off, or that you do not smell regularly, toss it.

PG and VG will both absorb water, so they need to be tightly sealed, and kept in a cool, dark environment, to extend their lifetime(s).

7 Likes

I vaped long ago but only commercial eliquids or shake and vapes with 50/50 boosters so I never smelled a PG bottle before .
Just started again but first time DIY
When I bought that pg it smelled a bit off but I thought that must be what PG smells like.
But the new I have is odourless to me (poured some of both in empty plastic cups to compare smells ) you can slightly feel it a bit vaping thought it was my flavours at first but it’s probably safe just not clean enough or very old

5 Likes

I was wondering if vg went bad. I have a 5 gallon bucket of vg from 2012. It looks fine and smells ok but im still not gonna use it

6 Likes

I am always gonna buy 250ml bottles from now on and when I am running low restock I found an online shop that has much traffic so its gonna be fresh The one I bought now says expiration 10/2026
If you dont make insane amounts of eliquids to sell or smth I think its better this way.

4 Likes

I just buy gallons from ingridient supplier . Cheap and saves money

5 Likes

nicotine is my only problem if I could find cheaper Jealous of UK prices :stuck_out_tongue: Hope I find a recipe I love and not give up and settle on solo ryDouble

5 Likes

I ve got about 10-12 recipes I am gonna be trying Been thinking of trying your Snickerdoodle but dont need most of the flavours for other recipes Is it too sweet? Sorry but another small question if I change a recipe of 30/70 to 50/50 or 40/60 do I have to reduce total flavouring aswell?
Only using nautilus 3 & nautilus nano tank

4 Likes

Quite the opposite It will depend on the power of the pod device you you are vaping on. Low power pods will need about 2% more flavor with a higher wattage pod device you will be mixing as written.
I am vaping a pod recipe as written on a 200 watt device and RTA as written for pod.

4 Likes

can the nautilus and pods handle 30/70 or coils burn fast

4 Likes

@teodoris10 I don’t know your burn rate, but like @STR8V8PING said, buying gallons saves money, and once you acquire enough liter bottles, you can break it down from the big, to smaller, to keep fresh.

4 Likes

It seems to be a 40 watt AIO (all in one) device. It should handle a 30/70 mix fine.
Had to look it up. Not familiar with it.

4 Likes

I mean I have the normal nautilus 1.0 mesh 0.7mesh or 1.8bvc and a different Geek vape low wattage pod that my parrents use and I give them eliquids

4 Likes

I don’t use plug and play coils but I am on the GeekVape board. Don’t hear anything bad about their coils. As long as the coils are well primed and not chain vaped they should last about 60ml before replacing.

3 Likes

recommended wattage range is 20–25 watts, and the coil is best run between 18–23 watts. The 0.7ohm coil uses stainless steel mesh to create better flavor. It offers a DTL (Direct-To-Lung) vaping experience.

From the description 30/70 should be fine. Remember to start low and work your way up to the wattage you enjoy.

4 Likes

Maybe it’s because I’ve never had problems with PG or VG going bad but from what you describe the bad smell and bad taste are more likely due to oxidized nicotine; check your nicotine boosters and if their smell is pungent/acrid and their color is not transparent but tends towards pink/violet/amber then the real problem certainly lies there. Store all the ingredients as @SessionDrummer suggested.
For quantities, I personally lean towards 500ml and 1L (VG and PG), however for nicotine here in the EU we are severely limited by the TPD.
Finally, for Aspire coils I advise you not to go beyond 60/40 VG/PG.

6 Likes

Nic shots are good transparent and got good smell I found some posts I think In another forum about PG smelling like alcohol/acetone because it’s old stored improperly or bad quality
Already adapted all the recipes I want to make 40/60 or 50/50
Taste and smell vaping isn’t that bad got used to it after a tank or two cause I didn’t use much pg in my mix my nicshots are 20mg 10ml 50/50

4 Likes

If your PG has an alcohol smell do not use it. The confusing thing about propylene glycol is there are two types food grade and industrial grade. Food grade has no smell and a sweet taste. It’s the stuff most food manufacturers use for everything from soft drinks and candy. Then there’s the industrial stuff which is petroleum based and smells of alcohol. It’s used as a lubricant and in antifreeze. It’s best to get your VG and PG from reputable suppliers.

9 Likes

its weird because the brand I got has been around many years (mad juice)

3 Likes

I only rely on PG that has one or more of these certifications: EU, USP or E1520. This is the specific PG for food, pharmaceutical and/or cosmetic use; I’m obviously talking about EU certifications. :wink:

4 Likes