Spyware or ELR?

Ive only had one minor redirect from recipes, like @daath said it was a rogue ad, it happens.

@daath have you looked at Amazon affiliate advertising or paid advertising for vendors? Might be worth your while :wink:

2 Likes

Iā€™ll tell you like I tell my kids phones are to talk on the computer is for the internet. They say Iā€™m getting old. lol. I have enough problems using the internet on my computer I donā€™t need to do it on my phone, but then again Iā€™m home a lot and have access to my computer more than a lot of people.

2 Likes

I use my phone as a pocket computer all the time. I canā€™t tell you how many times a customer has called or emailed when I was out of the office and theyā€™re looking for a cargo van or box truck for a hot shipment. Iā€™ve done all phases of the load from the offer, quote, booking and delivery right from my phone. In terms of dollars earned, well itā€™s hard to say. I make anywhere from $100 to $750ish per load and Iā€™ve done tons this way. Would hate to only be able to do that if I was sitting at my work station. Whatā€™s more I can send and receive faxes from my phone so if I need to get a driver a bill of lading, I can do that from my chair on the beach. Just have to set my beer down for a minute :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh I know itā€™s just a running joke in the family. My boys and even my step daughters keep telling theyā€™ll show me how to do it. I just donā€™t want to have to get a huge data plan. Iā€™m just being frugal, according to them Iā€™m just cheap lol

3 Likes

So Iā€™ve used a few of the tools listed in this thread and verified my pc is clean. Iā€™ve been getting quite a bit of redirects today. The worst one happened just after clicking:

It took me to a page on ā€¦ and ESET blocked a trojan.

Please remove the takeawayfund URL :wink:

#Assuming your using Win OS

Redirects are a sign of adware, you could run malwarebytes anti-malware: https://www.malwarebytes.com

You could use CCleaner to clean up ALL application history and browser files:
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

You can manually delete your TEMP files by doing the following:
Press winkey + R OR just open the run box
Type %temp% and press enter
Verify your inside your TEMP folder
Delete everything in that TEMP folder

You can also check your startup for anything suspicious:
Open the Run box as above
Type msconfig and press enter
Select the startup tab
Untick anything suspicious

1 Like

The URL is gone. I forget a list of all the URLs are listed at the top of the thread without any context.

Iā€™ve used Malwarebytes/Spybot/Comodo/Hijack This/CC Cleaner/SuperAntiSpyware in addition to ESET and canā€™t find anything. Also tried Chrome in safe mode and Firefox with the same results. Editing the startup programs via msconfig is something I regularly do as well. I guess the problem could be on my end, but others have reported the same thing, so I doubt it.

Iā€™ve been thinking about a format anyway, so Iā€™ll see what happens after a clean install.

Pop-under when opening a recipe:
http://www.digitalprivacyalert.org/lnd/PU/stopgoogle-UK.html?subid=qXbQCY5CKN-57b35ba21d880213068b4a97&l=514&ept=96qitnKV33HiruxN1%2Bb1QqKgKtDH75K%2F02OuHh0JtVv%2BEbWX1II%2B7AtID49FErN%2FfYx%2Bf6KfCd4QaXxL%2Fz1d8Q%3D%3D&o=6-396

1 Like

Sounds like youve covered your bases already with the multiple scans.
For me, malwarebytes while in ā€œsafe mode with networkingā€ usually does the trick. I like super anti spyware also as @Scottes777 mentioned, but for as much of the tracking cookie type crap it finds, it doesnt do much for me in the way of more intrusive or disruptive malware/spyware. Avg used to be my go to scanner but i really havent liked them for a couple years now since they switched layout to fit windows 8 style and such more. Not a fan of that fuckery, the pop ups avg gives is more annoying than just about any virus (except maybe ā€œfbi moneypackā€).

Thanks mate!

You could have a rootkit. By replacing system files they can go undetected and are difficult to remove

http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/mmpc/threat/rootkits.aspx

Thereā€™s a Windows Command Prompt you can type to scan for root kits. I wonā€™t post any executable run-as Admin commands here ā€¦just google

Also there are LSPs ā€œLayered Service providersā€ which infect your TCP/IP stack (Winsock) and those can be difficult to find and fix. These are usually visible as URL redirects (and popups) to generate Ad click revenue for the hacker.

1 Like

Its an ongoing problem for me, when idle at home page Iā€™m getting pop ups. Only for ELR, not on the forums however, I never get them on any other site. Iā€™m not sure why this idea is floating around that it canā€™t be a problem on the page.

If itā€™s on the page, youā€™d expect more people to be having similar issues.

1 Like

agreed, but when multiple parties are experiencing the same thing solely on one site, starting at the same time, doesnā€™t that also tell us something?

2 Likes

In malwarebytes settings the root kit search isnā€™t checked by default, try a full scan with that on

Last night I did a clean install of Windows 7. I got one popup last night after the format and one this morning. I finally went through the Adblock settings to see which one was making the recipe data disappear. Itā€™s the Fanboyā€™s Annoyance setting. With that disabled ELR works fine and so far no popups.

2 Likes

Hijack when following an ELR recipe link from the forum:
http://date-for-adults.com/?u=gvdkd0x&o=5emg9u1&t=tgdt#

I canā€™t replicate it. This is annoying the crap out of me!
I know itā€™s a pain, but if you can activate the developer console and check off ā€œpersistā€ and log whatā€™s going on under ā€œnetworkā€, I might be able to pinpoint whatā€™s going on. Itā€™s annoying and damn confusing, so not everyone can do this. Iā€™ve tried, but as I said, I couldnā€™t replicate it :confused:

Iā€™m in the developer console, but donā€™t see anything labeled ā€œpersistā€ hereā€¦ Iā€™ve went through all the settings (I think anyway). There is a box labeled ā€œpreserve logā€ on the main console screen if thatā€™s got anything to do with it.

Edit: Is this what youā€™re referring to? This came from http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5327955/how-to-make-google-chrome-javascript-console-persistent

So, my questions is: is there a way to make Google Chrome JavaScript console persistent? (And if yes, how?)

Update: Copying the answer here, if anyoneā€™s still looking for this, Chrome 14+ has a setting in Developer Tools > Settings labelled ā€œConsole: Preserve log on navigationā€.

Ah. I use FireBug in Firefox - In Chrome itā€™s ā€œPreserve logā€ :slight_smile:

EDIT: The result can be exported somehow - In Chrome you can save a ā€œHARā€-file which can later be analyzedā€¦

1 Like