Starting a new job

Congrats. Don’t know you, but did ten years of construction contracting myself, and transitioned to IT office work when I finished school. Its hard. Someone mentioned the weight. God that is so true. Climbing ladders daily, for eight hours plus keeps you in shape more than you think. The appetite won’t go away easily or quickly. I gained 35lbs in a matter of about eight months.

However, its sooooo much better than spraying houses day in/day out. Congrats again, and enjoy your cushy office chair when the winds howling and its freezing out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you … I could stand to gain a few pounds anyway. I’m a lightweight and only weigh about 150 pounds soaking wet. Lol

2 Likes

Congratulations on the new job!

2 Likes

so true about the eatimg and gaining weight being an installer to sales to management i sure gained the weight lol

1 Like

Very not bad, and many people say stick to your job - nothing better you will find, this situation exact opposite!

2 Likes

Thanks for the link!

2 Likes

Yeah sure, for a few. The majority of the IT jobs these days won’t survive. IT is good for a few years but if you don’t make it into a management job you’re buggered.
If you’re over… let’s say 40 you have to compete with an army of authistic computer geniuses who work for less than you ever could if you don’t live in mom’s basement.
So you better tell your children to learn a real job. The only people I know these days who have enough to do and never complain about their pay are the guys who repair your stuff. Tilers, brickies, electricians, carpenters, heating engineers etc. I know, manual labour sucks but if I could start again I’d certainly avoid IT. Constant learning with no guarantee that this knowledge will still be required in a year or 2.

5 Likes

@Ken_O_Where @SessionDrummer

4 Likes

It’s great to see your perspective on IT jobs. I agree that everyone should pursue what they truly enjoy and find fulfilling. While it’s true that the IT industry is constantly evolving, I believe that adaptability and a passion for learning can go a long way. However, it’s important to acknowledge that different career paths suit different people.
If you’re looking for alternative career options, I recently came across a website where you can explore all Arts and Design careers. It might be worth checking out if you’re interested in exploring different avenues. Remember, it’s never too late to pursue something new if it aligns with your passions and interests. Ultimately, the most important thing is to find a career that brings you joy and satisfaction.

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree more @GaveModeva. Your post has inspired me tremendously to go into the IT Field. Thank you for stopping by with such a positive message. We need more bots like you around this place. Now go fuck off- and bother another board. Jagoffs

6 Likes