Steam Crave Aromamizer RDA's - Review

Today I want to share my impressions of the Aromamizer RDA lineup from Steam Crave. These were sent to me for review by Steam Crave - thank you folks. http://www.steamcrave.com/c/aromamizer-rda_0005

My first experience with a Steam Crave product was the Aromamizer RDTA. To date this is my favorite tank, and for that reason I had very high hopes for these RDAs. Let’s see if Steam Crave delivers.

There are three RDA’s in their lineup.

Aromamizer RDA Glass
Aromamizer RDA Hexagonal
Aromamizer RDA Round

Each of these RDA’s utilizes a top air flow and inner barrel set up that forces intake air down around the inner walls of the chamber and up around the coils. Each comes with a smooth bore and a “cyclone”, spiral slotted inner barrel that is replaceable.

Glass RDA

First let me say that I cannot give this product a fair review. On the first day I received it I noticed a hairline crack in the Pyrex class chamber. I noticed this after having put a build on it and vaped for a while. This effectively halted my testing, and email responses I received from Steam Crave indicated this was an ongoing problem and they are working on a replacement glass with less tendency toward breakage.

That said, let me just point out that the vape I got from this RDA was excellent. However I do not recommend this RDA due to the glass being susceptible to breakage. And aside from the uniqueness of the glass chamber, the fact is there is no real air flow control. You can use the supplied rubber ring, identical to what comes with the RDTA, but either you put it on dry and there’s no slippage and nearly impossible to move, or lube it with some juice in which case it moves very easily and you’re constantly having to readjust. So if you own one, chances are you would leave the ring off and live with the 4 top air holes. I find it airy enough for sure, but it’s limited in functionality.

That is all I will say about this RDA. I would rate it a 3 on a scale from 1-10.

Hexagonal RDA

Aside from this being a substantial upgrade from the Glass RDA, this thing just looks cool! The hexagonal shape looks aesthetically better on box mods rather than tube mods. I’m told that they are going to have a Velocity style 2 post deck for this at some point, which would make this a far more appealing RDA for me. However, as it is I think it’s a decent RDA.

I say decent due to the airflow. Indirect air flow has never been great for flavor in my opinion. However, flavor suffers little if at all with this atomizer. Air intake comes from two slots on the top section of the cap. This piece turns so that with each turn as the hex lines up again, a different size air flow hole is aligned. There are three sizes.

As I mentioned, there are two types of inner barrels which affect airflow - a smooth bore and a turbo, or as Steam Crave puts it, cyclone. I find the best air flow using the smooth insert. This has the most open feeling air flow and aids somewhat it producing the bigger clouds. People who love airy vapes would likely choose this one. But the cyclone insert has its good points too. It creates a noticeably more restrictive airflow. Not so much it’s unappealing, but compared to the smooth insert it’s substantially restricted. Personally I like and prefer this restriction, and I cannot seem to replicate it with the smooth insert simply by adjusting the air flow control. Additionally, I find the flavor using the cyclone insert to be a bit better. Combining the airflow and taste advantages, my personal preference is the cyclone insert. The thing about the indirect airflow is, it doesn’t matter how you put the top cap on, air will hit the coils the same. So just slap it on and vape away. As for the inserts, well that’s another story.

The cyclone ring is virtually impossible to remove without needle nose pliers. At least I’ve not discovered an easier way. That’s because the fins on the cyclone insert sit flush to the inner walls of the chamber. There’s no give at all and nothing to get ahold of with a finger.

The smooth one on the other hand doesn’t sit inside like that, and it comes out easily by just putting your finger in and pressing it toward the inside wall.

Notice the indention at the top of each insert. That is where they snap into place. These fit very well and there is no worry over them falling out with normal use.

The current build deck is a 3 post design, much like any other 3 post deck. There is nothing that stands out here. One thing worth mentioning is that the post screws installed are Phillips style, but Steam Crave includes hex grub screws in their extras pouch, and I find them far easier to use and get a tight connection. Now care needs to be taken that the coils are not built so high that they make contact with the airflow insert when the cap is set in place. The safe zone for this is for the top of the coil to be no higher than the top of the posts. This will keep them a safe distance from the insert. My apologies for using an internet photo. I have a set of claptons on my deck and didn’t want to tear it down just for a photo. This one is probably better anyway :slightly_smiling:

I do not have dimensions for the juice well. However, it appears to be somewhere around 5mm. It’s plenty deep enough to accommodate a good amount of wick and juice. Sorry to not have those specifics. What I will say is that the deck for the Hex and the Glass RDA’s are not interchangeable as the Glass has a smaller diameter. However, the deck for the Hex and the Round are the same!

Round RDA

There is only 2 distinguishing characteristics that set the Round and the Hex versions apart. First is obviously the round vs hex shape. Duh! This would clearly be a better atomizer, aesthetically anyway, for someone using a tube type mod. Second is the air flow control. Unlike the Hex where you have only 3 setting (unless you want the top and bottom hex pieces to be misaligned) the round has 3 slots and a smooth adjustment from wide open to fully closed. This gives the user far more control, although from what I experience there is no discernible difference of wide open between the two. Other than that, everything else is identical. Both fit the same deck, are the same height and same inner shape/diameter, and the air inserts are interchangeable. Even the drip tips are the same. So why pick one over the other? In my estimation, it would simply be what you’d rather look at. You won’t get a different vape between them.

Drip Tip Adapter

Each model comes with a drip tip adapter allowing you to use your own 510 drip tip. What’s great is how the anti-spitback feature is on the adapter too, so you don’t give up that functionality just by using your own tip.

PROS & CONS

Glass - Pros
I cannot recommend this RDA, therefor I won’t offer any pros.

Glass - Cons
Glass top cap is easily breakable. This ends the game. Should Steam Crave come out with that more stable and less breakable cap, I can see they would still need to address airflow control. Cool factor is through the roof, but that only lasts as long as the glass which for me was less than one day.

Hex - Pros
Looks great, especially on box mods
Good air flow
Supplied drip tip adapter fits perfectly and allows the use of any 510 drip tip. Both stock drip tip and adapter have anti-spitback features.
No leaking through air slots

Hex - Cons
Limited air flow control
Wouldn’t look good on a tube style mod
Was relentlessly hanging on to machine oil (contrary to Steam Crave’s website. Steam Crave, if you read this, make sure ALL your atomizers get the cleaning treatment). Was very hard to remove.
Air flow is indirect to the coils. This is not an overall bad thing, but direct is better.
Cyclone air flow is more gimicky than anything. Only very slight improvement in flavor.
Cyclone insert is impossible to remove without a tool. Needle nose pliers are best as there is very little to grab onto.

Round - Pros
Looks good on any mod
Good air flow control
Supplied drip tip adapter fits perfectly and allows the use of any 510 drip tip. Both stock drip tip and adapter have anti-spitback features.
No leaking through air slots

Round - Cons
Air flow is indirect to the coils. This is not an overall bad thing, but direct is better.
Cyclone air flow is more gimicky than anything. Only very slight improvement in flavor.
Cyclone insert is impossible to remove without a tool. Needle nose pliers are best as there is very little to grab onto.

Finally, I wanted to love these RDAs as much as I do the RDTA. Sorry, not even close. But that’s not to say they aren’t good RDAs (not including the glass, of course) but rather they don’t hold a candle to the RDTA. Perhaps if/when Steam Crave releases a Velocity style build deck for these that opinion would change.

If you’re looking for an all around decent RDA that is essentially leak proof, has style and uniqueness and is not a pain to build on, either the Round or the Hex may be up your ally. But if you are a cloud chaser - I say pass this one by. This RDA would be more for the person who loves good flavor, and on that front both of them deliver. For clouds I give them a 6 out of 10, and flavor an 8 out of 10.

10 Likes

Nice review! Thanks for letting folks know about these! :+1:

3 Likes

great review lot’s of useful info.

2 Likes

Good review! I have been curious about those. I fancy the hex. It’s not something you see everyday.

2 Likes

GREAT review 5 years ago, for some of the first, that started it all.

2 Likes