Strange Issue with RDA Testing DIY Juice

I picked up a Pulse 24 RDA to use for testing my DIY liquids and have run into a little problem with it that I can’t figure out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For reference, I have a Steam Crave Aromamizer RDTA V2 and a Vandy Vape Kylin RTA that I have built on (coils I made and pre-built coils) and have had no issues with flavor or vape production. With the Pulse 24 I had no problem with the first build and got good flavor from a commercial juice. However, I changed out the build when I went to test my first batch of DIY juice and was completely disappointed with its performance (no flavor). I figured I did something wrong with the rebuild, so I used a premade coil (same coil I used in the Steam Crave) and tried a commercial juice, I got the same results. I know it is not the juice, as I have used the same liquid in multiple tanks and have had no problems. I have rebuilt the Pulse 4 times now and I keep getting the same results regardless of the coil and cotton I use. What could be causing this? I thought I made some crappy DIY, but since commercial juice is doing the same thing, I am at a loss for why this is happening.

I would really like to be able to test my DIY before I make larger quantities, but I don’t really want to waste it in a tank. What can I try to make the RDA function like it is supposed to? I am close to loading up a couple of sub-ohm tanks with new coils and testing that way, but would like to not waste the coils if at all possible.

1 Like

SVTS? (Sudden Vapor Tongue Syndrome)

No idea.

1 Like

I actually thought it could be the dreaded vape tongue as well, at least at first, but I could taste juice in my RTAs and regular tanks. It seems to only be with the RDA. Very frustrating considering I got good flavor out of it with commercial juice the first time I built on it. It just doesn’t make any sense. And I really want to test my DIY juices, they smell absolutely wonderful.

1 Like

Maybe where the coil sits in relation to the airflow? With my freakshow v2 if the top of the coil is too far below the top of the deck posts it just kills the flavor.

3 Likes

Bump the wattage/temp up and down. It may not perform the same as other RDAs at the same Mod setting. I definitely have juices that need wide ranges of Mod settings to get max flavor …especially fruits. Too high tastes burnt and too low it’s low flavor. So you have hardware and software (juice) to consider. Might just need a bump up

8 Likes

@BoDarc hit it on the nose. Somewhere between coil placement, wicking, power you are missing the mark. Sometimes even slightly off results in poor flavor.

For me on my first build on an rda it’s on point. My second build ends up not being because I didn’t take the time once I was over confident Poor grammar. Lol.

5 Likes

i would guess u pleased the coils to low/to high. i run a single coil 3x26/36g ss/ni80 and i get loads of flavour.

that´s the hight i place my coils. Pulse 24 is one of my daily Coils. i love that thing.

3 Likes

^^^^ this is totally on the money but I would like to add that if your wick is too tight or loose it can also cause flavour woes.

5 Likes

the tigher the better. i run Muji and i cut a 14mm side strip. remove the outerlayers. and fluff them up between my fingers and force the cotton inside:D then fluff it up :smiley: works for me haha :smiley:

4 Likes

Thank you all for the input. I rebuilt it today with a slightly higher profile (thanks @Nappen) and a little more wick and it seems to have fixed the issue. I guess I just got extremely lucky with my first build and every subsequent build was too close to the deck. Kinda strange that this would affect flavor so much, but it must have. Thanks again, everyone.

4 Likes

No problem mate.
When the coil is to low its affect the flavpur because u dont use all surface of the coil. Then the coil is higher u get the airflow from under and lift the vapor of the coil.

3 Likes

Definately coil placement. I have a pulse 24 and if the leads are cut short the coil will sit too low into the deck. The coil should sit high enough that the airflow channel pulls air into the bottom side of the coil. Some say lead length for the 24 should be the same length as the depth of the ultem drip tip that comes with it. I have found that is still too short and leave an extra 2mm on top of the depth of the drip tip.

3 Likes