Sub or Above 1 OHM

Compared to the .7 ohm build i had in before i would say battery life seems about double. Flavour is around the same possibly a bit better but new batch of juice so no guarantee. And vapor production is around the same maybe a bit less.

6 Likes

Nice, I should buy me that series deck too

3 Likes

Yes Sir.
If nearly half of our family is either MTL or DL
and DL means subohm/ MTL means over 1 ohm
how can it be
that only ca. 20% are above one OHM?
Shouldnt it be 50%?

And btw i was not calling for a new term.
A submarine is a kind of boat but a boat not a kind of submarine.
There is -as written before- no opposite for “sub”
and uber -from the german word “über” (=± over) may apply…
like a boat over and under water…

7 Likes

Just my 2 cents
Language evolves continuously in every aspect of our lives around the world. Why should vaping vocabulary be any different? Newbs will learn the vaping lingo same as do tech lingo, with questions, reading (hopefully), and continued familiarity.

5 Likes

from another forum

option 1 MTL 39
option 2 DL 23
option 3 dual, mostly MTL 19
option4 dual, mostly DL 18

3 Likes

3 set ups beside me
Artery PAL 2 0.6 ohm mesh coil using MTL
Ammit MTL RDA 0.78 ohms using MTL
Aromamizer Plus with series deck 1.4 ohms using DL

6 Likes

NICE!!! I really like that set up.

3 Likes

If you put it in an calculator he is only drawing 3.59 amps and vaping at 30 watts. The battery life should be phenomenal. I’m using a 1.4 ohm build at 11v and getting 2 and a half days before charging. But I have 2-3 mods in rotation.

5 Likes

Ok, let’s summarise:

it turns out that sub-ohm doesn’t neccessarily mean DL
and that supra-ohm (or whatever we call it) doesn’t necessarily mean MTL
indeed, the crossover is so great that whilst MTL vapers form almost half of this community, according to one poll, only approx. 20% of us are…ummm…non-sub-ohm.

This makes a nonsense of “the opposite of sub-ohm is MTL”. and we’re surely confusing the newbies (not to mention our own selves) by teaching them to think like that. This is one very clear case where a new bit of jargon would help to eliminate confusion , not create it.

That said, i’m not sure I trust us lot to come up with a suitable word :rofl: , but it’s rather fun discussing it.

Now I’ll add another two, three, or maybe four cents.:

That submarine analogy is misleading, Iambu . We already had multiple words for surface vessels , long before the submarine was even dreamed of, let alone invented. So there was zero need to dream up a term for a non-submarine. English-speaking people just carried on calling them ships or boats. Vapers are in an entirely different …uh…boat. If we just carry on calling non-sub-ohm vaping “vaping” , same as before sub-ohm came up, that clarifies nothing does it? We have no word at our disposal that actually does that job. We need one.

Finally, another interesting little sidenote: I 'm pretty sure that the bastard EU regulations are responsible for much of this drift towards sub-ohm , even by MTL newbies. The fact is that high-nicotine devices like the Juul are no longer legal anywhere in Europe ( there’s a 20mg limit now). The result of these new regulations (in Britain, at least) has been a radical shift in the type of hardware on offer . Manufacturers like Aspire are now churning out dinky little sub-ohm AIO devices for beginners, all to enable the quitter to get his nicotine fix in spite of thos regs. So your newbie vaper on this side of the pond is now born sub-ohming …whether he knows it or not.

5 Likes

I agree.
Its as misleading as the subohm vaping term is IMHO an invention of the vaping industry
to sell new hardware stuff
and as successfull as the Uber campaign which makes us associate uber with a TAXI.

5 Likes

you may have a point. but it very much looks like we’re stuck with that term, doesn’t it?
Of more concern to me is the observation that 1 ohm used to delineate the boundary between safe vaping and “somewhat risky , but (arguably )more fun”. From that POV, it’s pretty meaningful.

Have the safety issues gone away now? i dunno. I suppose those dinkly little AIO devices pretty much solve the safety issue by giving the user no room for manoevre. No need to know Ohm’s Law or anything like that; you get a single, suitable setting, take it or leave it, along with a stern warning not to ever try different coils in the device.

It still seems like a bad idea to me to indiscriminately throw newbies in at the sub-ohm end. But then hey! I’m definitely a dinosaur of the grass-munching variety. And nobody’s to blame but the good old EU for that shift.

4 Likes

Meant to be high NIC devices, and no DIY plz!
Greetz from BT.

2 Likes

2.4 Ohm (Kanthal 0,2mm)

4 Likes

I agree, it shouldn’t matter if one vapes below or above 1 ohm so why invent words for it to further divide the vaping community?

You vape? Great!

4 Likes

Why deliberate any Mho ? Lord Kelvin’s designator is slick and easy to remember how to spell, with the incorporation of this symmetrical mystical duality of “mho-ohm” into vaping vernacular joining other trendy heteropalindromes, such as “live-evil” and “god-dog”. Much “mho better” that way, if you ask me ! … :nerd_face:

3 Likes

@GuernseyNick if those tails get any longer, we’re breaking into new territory !!!

5 Likes