Suggested flavoring(s) for my favorite ejuice?

Trying a variety of flavorings to duplicate a raspberry lemon-limeade from Mountain Oak Vapors called Red Drop. This has been my go-to ADV for many years, but all that changes very soon with the shipping bans.

I’ve never tried Juice Hog’s Cob Roller, but it may be the same thing. Both have a red tint to them, which I’ve been told is not added color. I’m assuming the color might be naturally occurring given the extraction of flavor from ripe red raspberries?

So far the raspberry flavorings I’ve bought did not have a red tint. I’ve tried a few of the existing recipes on EJR. They’re good, but they don’t hit the mark yet. I’m just hoping someone else who has tried Red Drop has come up with a close match to the original recipe, which is really an incredibly well balanced blend.

7 Likes

I just looked it up and its a Lemon Lime Raspberry ???

Its probably fairly simple mix what have you found that is close???

4 Likes

Thanks Fidalgo. Yes, it’s a lemon-lime raspberry blend, and red tint in color. I’m new to DIY, so I guess my challenge is two fold. Finding the right raspberry, and finding the right percentages of the blend.

Is there a raspberry flavor red in tint/color? The well known flavor companies sell a clear raspberry.
Generally I’m happy with the lemon-lime I’m using, but I’m mixing a different batch or two every day, then waiting a week to try them in order to fine-tune the percentages.

5 Likes

I dont know of a Raspberry that is so red in color that it will turn your Liquid Red…I wouldnt get stuck in finding a Raspebrry that is Red FLV has a Raspberry that is dark, off the top of my head I wanna say its red…You will find a Raspberry that is close enough . I forget what color TPA Raspberry is or even their Sweet Rasp i havent had those flvors in a couple years

6 Likes

The only raspberry I have that has a dark tint to it is, Red Raspberry (VSO). Although not likely in that mix it’s a good raspberry (pushed high) I just checked a mix steeping with 4% and no red though, just Amber color. The only commercial juice that I ever had with a “Red” color had coloring in it.

7 Likes

Welcome and glad you joined.

5 Likes

Well personally I try to avoid any unnecessary tints but I could come up with a base to build on.

I think think a 60/40 VG/PG base would be a good start.

Then 8% Capella Raspberry V2, 2% Capella Lemon and Lime, 2% FA Champagne and 0.15% FA Smooth.

You could tweak the PG/VG ratios and add sweetener as needed (both of the Capella concentrates are unsweetened a quiet tart).

5 Likes

Can’t help with your specific question because I am just starting to mix single fruit flavors, but want to welcome you to the forum. You’ve already gotten some helpful replies, and I am sure there will be others. Keep on experimenting and have some fun !! :smile:

4 Likes

Thank you for the replies, very helpful in this new DIY journey. My first 12 batches haven’t really been close to what I’m looking for, but I’ve created a couple new ones I like.

@SquirrelSmash very interesting. Was it power of suggestion, or am I picking up on a crisp clean bubbly soda type of note in Red Drop? Champagne and smooth would make sense. I’ve been trying to get a creamy note, but not the bubbles. So I’ll try champagne and smooth next week. Should I withhold the flavors I’m using for sweet and vanilla notes (a dash of whipped marshmallow (CAP), vanillin/10% (TPA)?

Right now I’m sitting at 13.5% total flavoring. (Now clicking to find out what “smooth” is)

5 Likes

I remember simon saying you could buy a flavor concentrate that tinted your recipe … personally no desire to add a color to one, but finding something you like to vape with that profile is a great direction to go.

5 Likes

Well it designs on what your seeking in final sweetness. I always start my blends with a dry version and then add sweet flavours as I go along. Something just increasing the VG can make all the difference. Though I’m one of the odd 80/20 PG/VG blenders.

Oh Smooth is used to help flavours to marry better. It’s particularly useful if you’re trying to create a cohesive blend from many concentrates. (Obviously I need to note that Smooth contains triacetin which can cause cracks in acrylic tanks).

5 Likes

@SquirrelSmash I have just seen this post from April today as I am looking for info on PG different products. With reference to the Smooth, this product is amazing and we have seen the results straight away, with the overall blending and fullness of the MIX.

Have a great weekend mate,

Kyle

3 Likes

That’s great. Triacetin and malic acid are the two helpers all blenders should have to hand. They can fix most issues.

3 Likes

@SquirrelSmash @Rocky02852
whilst on this topic Re:PG then could tell me the difference between below,
Propylene glycol (1520) and a product labelled as just PG please that’s if to there is any difference.

Thanks fellas

3 Likes

Propylene glycol
In the European Union, it has E-number E1520 for food applications. For cosmetics and pharmacology, the number is E490.

4 Likes