Suggested % of flavor for vape juice

I’m making my own vape juice for the 2nd time, the first time went well I used capella flavors and they were decent but now I’m gonna use river(nicotine river) flavor and I love having really bold flavors. Has anyone used these flavors before and will 10% be too much or not enough?

3 Likes

So Nicotine river has it’s own manufactured flavors, or are you buying flavors from that company?
Sometimes even 1.25% total flavor is more than enough… depends on the manufacture and or how heavy handed you get. :slight_smile:

More info please! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yeah nicotine river has come out with their own line up of flavors, I’d like to say at least 30 I haven’t counted. I bought my DIY stuff from them the first time and had a good experience. They are at a nice price point actually about $5 for 2OZ of flavoring. I lost my original formula piece of paper🤦‍♂️ so I can’t say what I had my original % of flavor was but I believe it was about 8%.

3 Likes

From what I see…
they give their suggested usage… but if you are familiar… use what you feel is best.
They tried to claim purilum as their own, who knows what these are?

This is how I run solo taste testing on my flavorah…
https://flvfan.com/solo-flavor-testing/

Might give you a better insight. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Link wouldn’t load but, I’ve seen your page and you have been making juice for like 10 years so I’ll trust you’re expert in this. Can I ask you, when you got started with trying to find the right amount to put in did you make small batches or lager batches (30ml-150ml). Any advice for how long I should let it steep for before testing it?

3 Likes

@Trevor2 welcome to ELR. Congratulations on your FIRST (and 2nd) mixing that went well. I think I made complete crap mixes for 6 months before I started figuring things out. Congrats to you on that.

I’ve not read all the responses yet, and I know @anon84779643 is going to give you good advice.

I’ve done quite a bit of SFT (Single Flavor Tests) on their line …

As far as is 10% too much, or not enough, that can be hard to answer. LOTS of variables, different flavors, etc. In my SFT’s I used 3% flavor in every tester.

5 Likes

I can chime in here @Trevor2. IMO, NEVER start to learn flavors in BIG batches, you will just waste a lot of product, and money. If you are testing (great idea by the way), start VERY small. Maybe 5-10ml tester bottles. You’ll be able to tell what’s too weak, and/or when you hit the ceiling (when things start to get floral, muddy, overflavored, muting, etc.).

5 Likes

If you look at my recipe for my SFT’s I mixed ALL in 5ml bottles, and at 3%.

4 Likes

Thank you for the advice! I’m buying about 15 different flavors RN and of course a lot of VG, PG, and nicotine. I’m planning on making about 100 bottles. I’m buying some 15 ml bottles as well. Should I even bother with steeping or should I just be more focused on trying to get the right amount of flavoring in my juice.

4 Likes

Wow @Trevor2, I think @anon84779643 would agree, you are asking the RIGHT questions.

Steeping, wow, what a subject, and it could go on forever LOL.

I always steep my testers, and many times (not all) flavors get better, shed some of their sharp edges, come into focus, etc. Many will taste TERRIBLE of the shake (fresh mixed), and improve with only a 1-2 week steep.

As a GENERAL RULE, fruits don’t take long, and many can be vaped right away. Custards, bakeries, more complex flavors sometimes need at least 2 weeks, with heavy custards needing 4 weeks some times. Tobaccos (which I don’t vape), can require even longer.

If you’re like me, and have a LOT of flavors to get to, and don’t have a ton of time, try giving the flavors at LEAST 1 week, then start vape testing them.

Rules vary, and there are always exceptions, and all of the above are In My Opinion.

4 Likes

I also for ease of math… use 10ml bottles, not 15ml… but if you can roll with those… :wink:

Sd knows what he is talking about :slight_smile:

Atm I have site issues but it will be back once again. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

@Trevor2 the trick of the game is to try small, and once you get it figured out THEN go big. Even if you’ve ordered 15ml bottles, that’s fine, you can still only mix up 5ml samples, i.e. the bottles will only be 1/3’rd full. That’s fine, as having some airspace (headroom) can be great while you’re shaking them up before testing.

Also, don’t forget to use some of the BEST features on ELR, that @daath has given us. You can look up flavors, to see what other people are mixing them at.

https://e-liquid-recipes.com/flavors

As an example, look at Nicotine River (River Supply Co.)'s Sugar Crunch

You can see the average usage rate as a SINGLE flavor, AND in mixes…

Many times, this can get you in the BALLPARK, BUT, it isn’t always right. Some people mix flavors WAAAAAY too high. Most times looking the flavor(s) up, will get you in the ballpark.

5 Likes

Thank you guys so much, there is a LOT (that being an understatement) that I have to consider now but at least I now have a better handle on all of this. I realize my questions might be better put into the beginner form so thank you guys for being understanding I truly appreciat it. One last question is it better to steep your juice inside a dark, cool place maybe a warmer dark place or a well lit area? I guess I’m newer to this than I thought😂

6 Likes

I just put mine in a box if it will take longer than a few days… then I check my box every 5 days to a week :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Not a problem, you are actually doing fine. You posted a question, and the title of your post was clear and accurate. You ask questions, get answers, things are cleared up. That’s EXACTLY how to do it. I wish I had asked more questions when I started, I would have saved a LOT of time, money, and flavors !!!

Cool and dark is fine, warm won’t hurt anything. Hot and/or in direct sunlight should be avoided if you can.

5 Likes

I try and keep my max run limit to 20-25 max, and I just line the bottles up, right in front of my flavor racks.

3 Likes

Sometimes when I have great flavors, I mix/steep/test them in 30ml bottles !!!

4 Likes

Hehe @Trevor2 I lied, those aren’t single flavor testers, those are @anon84779643’s One Shots (Recipes with all flavors, and no vg/pg/nic).

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

oh my gosh those are sooo pretty, Sd… they just need a blue ribbon!! :stuck_out_tongue:
surprised you still have them???

3 Likes

Well I vaped all the juice up, but I still have the pics !!!

3 Likes