Suggestion: Tags

If we could tag/label our recipes and filter based on them, for example WIP, ADV, S’N’V, FRUITS, TOBACCO, BAD, GOOD…or a million other things, this would make managing hundreds of recipes quite a bit easier. Same goes for the personal flavor stash, having tags such as FRUIT, CANDY, NATURAL, AVOID, DRY, SWEET, TOBACCO, ALMOST_EMPTY would be great to quickly look up options for recipes.

7 Likes

Seems to me that would be a massive undertaking. But please, do not enter any modified flavor names into the database.

4 Likes

Things of this nature have been suggested in the past and the problem with it is getting people to do it. This is only a guess but I would say a good 90% of people using the calculator don’t use the forum and would have no clue as to what they should or shouldn’t do.

I remember someone suggested we put a number on the end of the Title or Name of the recipe. The number would indicate how many flavors are used in the recipe. I think it was you @Sprkslfly but it was quite a long time ago and I can’t quite remember. Anyway, I thought it was a great idea and implemented it immediately but no one and I mean NO ONE else did it so I gave it up and changed the names of my recipes back.

Maybe you can start a campaign…

3 Likes

Ah ok maybe I explained myself poorly. I meant a feature for the website, where you can assign tags to recipes, which you can then use to filter the list of visible recipes in your recipe book. I didn’t mean adding tags in the names, rather an addition/replacement for the current folder feature.

5 Likes

I think it’s a great idea. I don’t know anything about the interface on this forum. It’s older software and it may be limited on what you could do with it.

3 Likes

That can very easily be done automatically with a PHP snippet tallying the flavours listed in the entry for the recipe.

1 Like

Assuming it uses an SQL db, all you need to do is return the number of rows in the column for that recipe’s entry and assign it to $reqFlavours, then toss it to the screen with something like:

print (“Elephant Spunk [” . $reqFlavours . " flavours required]");

… ergo:

Elephant Spunk [9 flavours required]

1 Like

Assuming it uses an SQL db, all you need to do is return the number of rows in the column for that recipe’s entry listing flavour names, then assign that to $reqFlavours, and toss it to the screen with something like:

print (“Elephant Spunk [” . $reqFlavours . " flavours required]");

… ergo:

Elephant Spunk [9 flavours required]

1 Like

You know I have become quite taken with warm milk before bed and even more so now I know I can instantly turn that warm milk into warm custard milk with just a half teaspoon of raw sugar and a couple drop of creme brulee.

However not-quite-custard it might be in glycerine - with all it’s too much or little percentages or whatever, in real milk with some real sugar, that custard flavour is spot on perfect.

:smirk:

2 Likes