Summer's nice and all but

45C (113F) here for the next three days with 38% humidity. Welcome to the sauna.
Two years ago it was 122F. I had no AC in my car or house that year, and we had power outages. That was a ball-buster.

5 Likes

Can’t wait for my favorite time of year when I’m walking on the hard water. At least I can dress for that!

3 Likes

Send some heat to me please I think 84f has been as hot as we have seen

3 Likes

You can have it, look how sun burnt my legs are!

4 Likes

Yesterday was day 9 over 100, they claim we’ll only hit 99 today WOW that’s a refreshing thought :sweat::sweat::sweat::sweat::sweat::volcano::volcano::volcano::volcano:

4 Likes

We just might get a break today, it’s 8 degrees cooler at 11:00 am. now if it would just hold there all day I’d love it.

4 Likes

Be careful, now. Don’t jinx it.

5 Likes

The heat’s bad for sure, but the rains are even worse in some areas.

3 Likes

Which do you prefer, burning at the stake or drowning in the river? Both are bad options and have killed many people…
Wish people in power would focus a bit more on projects like ITER instead of throwing money away in real or economic wars, power grabbing and corruption.

3 Likes

Not sure how to answer that one @anon28032772. I’m no damn DAM engineer, but I can’t help but wonder, how exactly did the clay get undermined. I thought I saw some video wherein the water was cresting the top of the dam. Could they not have seen the levels rising and started discharging earlier ? Looking at that ITER now.

3 Likes

Well if you were currently burning at the stake i imagine the river would be a good option (well at least the fire would be out)

5 Likes

What is ITER?

(Click to view larger version...)

ITER (“The Way” in Latin) is one of the most ambitious energy projects in the world today.

In southern France, 35 nations are collaborating to build the world’s largest tokamak, a magnetic fusion device that has been designed to prove the feasibility of fusion as a large-scale and carbon-free source of energy based on the same principle that powers our Sun and stars.

The experimental campaign that will be carried out at ITER is crucial to advancing fusion science and preparing the way for the fusion power plants of tomorrow.

ITER will be the first fusion device to produce [net energy](javascript:void(0);). ITER will be the first fusion device to maintain fusion for long periods of time. And ITER will be the first fusion device to test the integrated technologies, materials, and physics regimes necessary for the commercial production of fusion-based electricity.

Thousands of engineers and scientists have contributed to the design of ITER since the idea for an international joint experiment in fusion was first launched in 1985. The ITER Members— China, the European Union, India, Japan, Korea, Russia and the United States —are now engaged in a 35-year collaboration to build and operate the ITER experimental device, and together bring fusion to the point where a demonstration fusion reactor can be designed.

When will experiments begin?

(Click to view larger version...)

ITER’s First Plasma is scheduled for December 2025.

That will be the first time the machine is powered on, and the first act of ITER’s multi-decade operational program.

On a cleared, 42-hectare site in the south of France, building has been underway since 2010. The ground support structure and the seismic foundations of the ITER Tokamak are in place and work is underway on the Tokamak Complex—a suite of three buildings that will house the fusion experiments. Auxiliary plant buildings such as the ITER cryoplant, the radio frequency heating building, and facilities for cooling water, power conversion, and power supply are taking shape all around the central construction site.

As soon as access to the Tokamak Building is possible, scientists and engineers will progressively assemble, integrate, and test the ITER fusion device. Commissioning will ensue to verify that all systems function together and to prepare the ITER machine for operation.

The successful integration and assembly of over one million components (ten million parts), built in the ITER Members’ factories around the world and delivered to the ITER site constitutes a tremendous logistics and engineering challenge. The assembly workforce, both at ITER and in the Domestic Agencies, will reach 2,000 people at the height of assembly activities. In the ITER offices around the world, the exact sequence of assembly events has been carefully orchestrated and coordinated. The first large components were delivered to the ITER site in 2015.

In November 2017, the project passed the halfway mark to First Plasma. ( More here .)

ITER Timeline

Decision to site the project in France

Signature of the ITER Agreement

Formal creation of the ITER Organization

2007-2009

Land clearing and levelling

2010-2014

Ground support structure and seismic [foundations](javascript:void(0):wink: for the Tokamak

Nuclear licensing milestone: ITER becomes a Basic Nuclear Installation under French law

2014-2021

Construction of the Tokamak Building (access for assembly activities in 2019)

2010-2021

Construction of the ITER plant and auxiliary buildings for First Plasma

2008-2021

Manufacturing of principal First Plasma components

2015-2023

Largest components are transported along the ITER Itinerary

2020-2025

Main assembly phase I

Torus completion

Cryostat closure

2024-2025

Integrated commissioning phase (commissioning by system starts several years earlier)

Dec 2025

First Plasma

Begin installation of in-vessel components

Deuterium-Tritium Operation begins

Throughout the ITER construction phase, the Council will closely monitor the performance of the ITER Organization and the Domestic Agencies through a series of high-level project milestones. See the Milestones page for a series of incremental milestones on the way to First Plasma.

4 Likes

Global Warming is a myth

3 Likes

Not true… It’s been happening since the last ice age!

3 Likes

Hey Mike or Michael if you prefer, do you have any actual lawn type grass down there in your sauna? I’ve got an area I want to put some really tough grass seed in when or should I say if it cools down this fall

3 Likes

No, I tried a few years ago and then I started getting back problems so I had to give it up. I remember researching it and found some kind of a blend that was more suited to desert regions and found some at my local Tractor Supply. Even still it required a lot of water and maintenance. For me it just wasn’t worth it. Good luck with yours though. A little patch of green is always nice. BTW either Mike or Michael is fine. Just don’t call me motherf*****. :laughing:

2 Likes

I could never call you a MF.
I’ve never found your shoes under a mothers bed. rotflmao

Aw shit I was in TSC yesterday getting the beasties some food. I don’t really care about the green so much as the beasties do! I’m hoping I can get them use it for potty time…

3 Likes