Supertasters

I’m beginning to realize that a person I’m mixing for might be a super taster. Mixes that are quite tasty to me and others, he will describe as soapy, plasticky, and play dough ie. Only after receiving his feedback, I can see how he might perceive those notes, but they never entered my palate to thought perception until he said it.
I like most mixes between 12 and 20 % . I’m going to try halving the percentages in a couple of very good recipes, and see what he thinks.
I destroyed my taste buds with smoking and other abuse for 32 years. And this person isn’t even that old, and didn’t smoke for nearly as long. My palate may be irreversibly damaged thus my tolerance for higher percentages.
Or maybe I’m just overthinking it.

7 Likes

I don’t think you destroyed them but you did dull them and it takes time to get it back. Also, your friend could very well be a “supertaster”. Did you take that supertaster test? I thought it was super neat. I think it is a good idea to lower some of your recipe percentages to see if you have gained any taste buds back.

4 Likes

I had a friend that came over one day and saw my lab. She was pretty blown away and immediately sat down and started smelling flavors. Mind you, she has never mixed ejuice before. She started putting together a coffee vape, and as I watched her pick out some of my best flavors one by one, I became more and more jealous of her. I of course had to work out the percentages for her final recipe. But she was adamant about the progression of the amount of final taste in the juice by putting the flavors in order of front note, back notes, etc. She put together a coffee vape that was just pure bliss. Thinking it was a fluke, I had her do it again. She ended up putting together 3 recipes that were all very good.

Some people have a sense of smell and or taste that is really sensitive. I sometimes wish I did. But after a bowl of beans and cornbread, I am happy I don’t.

16 Likes

I couldn’t give a range like you did there as mine range from ~3% to ~20% depending on the concentrates used. I don’t consider myself a supertaster, and I smoked for 30+ years.

My sniffer’s really good though, like I’ll smell toast or bacon starting to burn, or even butter in a frying pan starting to burn before the other 3 in my house. Outside I can smell smokers (not smoking) from nearly 10 feet away.

4 Likes

Ha! It’s funny you say that, to taste stuff. I just had, for the first time in 20 years, a bowl of crunch berries cereal for research purposes… science tastes good!

6 Likes

Yes according to the concentrates used, like 12 ish for mostly a fa/ wf/ flv mix, and 20 ish for a more capella/tfa/fw type mix.
I just assumed the reader would understand that. Of course I’ve had 3% mixes that were good, but this is referring to normal everyday stuff that I like.

4 Likes

Er, care to share?

8 Likes

Can you tell me more about it? Where, how do I take it? I don’t suspect I’m a supertaster but am curious.

ETA: I just found a test on Healthline. If it’s what you’re referring to I’m not a supertaster.

5 Likes

I am sure it will come back. I just recently vaped a real nice Queenside clone. Original recipe was at 20% total flavoring, I mixed it 6-7 months ago with 12% and it was tasteful. I just vaped last week my last bottle of it and it had still the taste composition of the recipe but was so overpowering. I will mix it again with 8% now.
So it takes time for taste to recover…

6 Likes

Ya beat me to it :grin:

5 Likes

Yep, and your lucky your not a supertaster.

6 Likes

I literally was going to post the same question lol

Back to the op, I suggest taking your 12-20% recipes and cutting them down to under 10%. See if your buddy likes those better. I used to LOVE super highly flavored juice but as time has passed it’s become too much for me. I’ve taken many of my go-to recipes and cut all the %s in half and I enjoy them at a lower concentration just as much as I did before. Idk if you’re aware but there’s a function in the calculator that lets you adjust the flavor %. That might be all you need to do to find the sweet spot for your friend.

5 Likes

Can you post one of those recipes??? And check what Temp/ watts Vapes at…A person can mix a recipe at a low percent and crank the power up they will taste the recipe fine , where another person may vape at a low temp and not get much from same recipe …The variables from one person to the next can be extreme…Super Taster ??? I thought Suoer taster jad something to do with the amount of tastebuds or something like that , since most of our flavor we get from vaping is through the Nasal does Super Taster by definition apply to tasting recipes made for Vaping ??? Just thinking out loud here

7 Likes

I will hit you up with it. I don’t think it’s shared. It may be though :thinking:

5 Likes

Here it is

5 Likes

Check cookies this one is very low in percentage fidalgo, but he describes it as soapy tasting. Which I can totally see after he pointed it out. I thought it was tasty until he said that, and now I can sort of taste the soap myself.

6 Likes

I hate that…I always tasted an off note with TPA VIC and VC but couldn’t identify it , then someone mentioned pepper and BOOM holy fuck was it pepper lmao

NOTE ill bet anything that soapy note is coming fron the combination of Cactus and Cucumber

6 Likes

Ok, ok, so if I eliminated the cactus,… I wanna taste that hint of cuke, but only added the cactus for wetness. Its probably unnecessary anyway. I dont have alot of experience really so thanks for this advise.
I’m just beginning to realize that simplification, and even eliminating goes waay further than lots of flavors.

5 Likes

Yes …If you think you still need something to enhance Juicy feeling add Pear at .5 to 1pct shoyldnt affect the profile … It will also add a sweetness so you can drop the Sucralose a touch

Remember b4 Cactus came around Cucumber was a gonto to add that wet juicy feel

4 Likes

Hey @Daveflowers9 how are you doing my friend? I am curious to know if your taste buds are still shot and mostly I want to know what you and your friend thought about the halved ingredients?

3 Likes