Tank Glass stuck - Help! ( TFV4 )

I’m scared I’m going to break the glass, but I cant seem to twist it off. Any quick-fixes ya’ll know about?

1 Like

Nevermind… I finally got it. Just had to get a little rough with it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Any ideas on how to keep that from happening again? Where it’s REALLY hard to twist lose?

1 Like

Moisten the o-ring with VG or PG before putting the glass in place :slightly_smiling:

2 Likes

I keep a tube of Chapstick in my building kit; tends to help with making parts slip, glide, come apart and go together with ease. :wink:

4 Likes

If this happens again, please thoroughly inspect the glass to be absolutely sure there are no hairline cracks in the glass!! Best to use an LED flashlight or if your cell phone flash doubles as a flashlight that works too. Hold it to the light and turn the tank slowly inspecting top to bottom.

Then, instead of trying to twist it, use light to medium back and forth movements while pulling at the same time. Had the same thing happen to me with brand new stuff.

3 Likes

Thanks guys. I just got back to this thread, but I did put vg along the o-ring area before I put the glass back. Chapstick… hmmm… I’ll do that next time.
I did inspect it pretty well before I put it back in place, but not as thoroughly as you have suggested, @SthrnMixer .

I rebuild my rba2 with ss and have it all back together. It seems to be working good. I’m just weirded out using it on the rx200 in temp control mode right now… but, that’s another subject. Next time I take it apart, I’ll go over that glass very carefully with an LED flashlight.

Thanks again for the tps, guys. Really appreciate ya!

2 Likes

Alisa if it comes apart easily it’s not a worry really. It’s when you have to apply pressure. I had a cracked one once shatter and cut me when I was tugging on it. Difference is I knew it was cracked but thought I could get it apart without it breaking. It was my first Atlantis tank and those are held by friction to the top cap. Just wanted to share from my bad experience.

2 Likes

Ok. Thank you. I’ll remember that! :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

Every thing is food and sweetener based so soaking in warm water should do the trick.If it is not glued but stuck go to hot water and everything will expand a little.

2 Likes

My TFV4 done the same thing on the first time of trying to remove it. Since then it’s never done it.

2 Likes

The TFV4 doesn’t twist off so that’s why it wouldn’t twist off but if you just bought it, it could be because it is new. Or it could be caused by overtighting a rule of thumb is figure tight with everything otherwise stuff gets stuck

2 Likes

One trick I learned was to use a piece of dental floss wrapped around the glass get it in between the glass & the o ring and use back and forth motion while pulling easily on the glass. I used this method when I first got my sub tank mini and couldn’t get the glass off the o ring. Worked like a charm.

3 Likes

I’m so glad this thread started. I just hate it when my glass or base gets stuck. It happens most often when I buy a new tank and it has been screwed on so tight i’m afraid I will break it to loosen it. A couple of things I’ve done is… I bought some rubber thread covers at Sears. I put them on my pliers. Before I got them, I would put a fat and thick rubber band on the tank.

3 Likes

Actually a good idea !!!

2 Likes

So do you have the TFV4 cooking yet?

1 Like

I built on it, but still playing with it on the rx200. It’s not playing nice yet. I’m
getting bad dry hits now and then. Going to rewick with different cotton
in the morning and see if that helps. Hard on these ol’ fingers when it’s cold.
Seriously thinking of giving up the building during the winter time and just
use some prebuilt coils. I ordered some last week as ‘backup’, but they
may end up getting used more often than not.

2 Likes

Got any thinner juice laying around you need to use? Maybe it wouldn’t dry hit and you can rewick/rebuild on a day when you’re up to it…

2 Likes

It seems to be working this morning better after rewicking. No dry hits so far! :slightly_smiling:

4 Likes

Not sure if you’re using the single or duel RBA. The single is harder to get the juice flowing, wicking it is an art form. The dual is a bit more forgiving but it will leak bad if you get it wrong.

1 Like

Its the dual one. I really like it today. Working much better.

1 Like