Taste Testing Your DIY Eliquid

What is the best way to test your DIY. Is there a certain RDA, Build and Wire that’s commonly used for taste testing your DIY Eliquid or is it best to taste test just as you would normally vape. I make eliquid primarily for my own use and I’m under the impression to test like I vape. Any thoughts on this subject.

My current taste test setup, Plume Veil Clone Fused Clapton @ .3 ohms.

3 Likes

Personally I test just as I Vape but I rewick for each new flavour.

J

6 Likes

I’ve heard of people not even using cotton on some builds… the coil itself will wick juice?

1 Like

Some coil builds can hold on to a fair amount of juice that’s for sure.

If you check out twisted messes some of his coil builds can take around 5-7 drops of juice before it becomes saturated.

J

1 Like

This is one here, all flat ribbon wire. It gives a hot vape, but full flavor I didn’t like that very much. Much better wicked. I’ve seen a SS mesh and ribbon wire mash up too.

3 Likes

Back in the day before all these fancy wicked coil builds, that is exactly what “dripping” was and why there were drip tips. You literally had an atomizer with a drip tip on it and every couple of puffs you dripped a couple drops through the drip tip and onto the metal “coil.” This cut out all the crappy polyfill that would burn and taste like crap. My first “mod” was replacing the polyfill in a cartridge with a pyramid tea bag. Oh how things have changed. Lol :smile:

7 Likes

I’m using Kraken without tank with mesh for juice testing. I just drip a few drops on the mesh, vape it and then dry burn it.

That,s a lot better than continually changing cotton. I got to order some SS mesh. Will any size mesh do? And is the vapor hot or on par with cotton?

I’m a mesh newbie, I have only used 400 mesh so far. Vapour temp depends on your build, not on a wick type. Well, unless you use steal rope.

I recently change the way I test my new recipes. I put a drop on my finger and taste the juice itself. It saves me a lot of time and cotton because I don’t have rewicked everytime I test a juice. That way I get 100% flavor. I Also use this method to see how much a coil build mutes the flavor of the juice by comparing the raw flavor of the juice against the vapor a coil produce. I’ve come ip with a system to rate my builds this way. You would be surprised as to how much a bad build can mute your flavors.

3 Likes

I have my work cut out today. Taste test day.
Around 20 Eliquids…

And 13 DIY Flavors

5 Likes

I don’t build … have no intention of building but would love an atomizer to just test juice on. bought the 510 bridgeless one but it was DOA so now looking for something else.

1 Like

I tested today as well !
I will use shirty cartomizers as well as tanks depends on how I feel that day.

2 Likes

Just out of curiosity, what type of mods do you own?

1 Like

I’m the exact opposite… I only build and vape in tanks in TC mode. So to change flavors in tank I simply vape a tank dry. TC mode doesn’t burn the cotton so I just load the next flavor and in a few tokes my new flavor shines. I very seldom have a flavor to linger after a flavor change. If so, I do a cotton change… but not very often. For myself I found it best to test just as I normally vape because I use to use a dripper for testing, but sometimes there’s a huge flavor difference between drippers and tanks. That’s why I test as I vape.

1 Like

I have my snowwolf 200 that I use all the time… um I have an istick 30 … EVict… 100w I stick if it ever dries out from where they dang nautilus leaked in it :slight_smile:

1 Like

LOL I know my mod has TC but have no idea what tanks do or is it because of the mod that you have TC LOL this side I’m ignorant on… which is probably why I don’t build.

I like TC because of no dry, burnt hits. It gives a very even vape and it’s a wonder when changinging juice. There are several stock tanks that offer TC friendly wire in the coils. I’ve been using only Ti for a while and it works best for me.

2 Likes

Your snowwolf and your e vic mini both do tc.
Purchase some tc coils for your existing tanks and try the tc experience. :yum:

2 Likes

Some people are perfectly happy with vaping standard screw-in coils. I do this all the time with my TFV4. But I only do this on my device I take to work. Partially, because I love my Sigelei 150 that doesn’t do TC. But also for the convenience of not having to mess with anything while at work. My TFV4 with the quad coils is 100% hassle free, and gives me a good vape that is fine for me.

But at home, it is a different story. I have Ti in every one of my tanks except my new Alliance RDA, which will have Ti tomorrow. I used to build crazy fused claptons. But I haven’t done that since I started using Ti. I am contemplating revisiting the clapton builds again to compare the flavor vs Ti. But I remember when I switched to Ti I told myself I wouldn’t build any more claptons.

So if you are happy vaping with screw-in coils that’s great. But when you get ready to step to the next level, I think Ti is the way to go. Ti coils are so easy to build. And the help here is enough to make it an easy transition for anyone.

As far as testing goes, I have a dual build on my Velocity. If I am testing a bunch of recipes, I slip a short piece of cotton into each coil, just long enough to stick out a mm or so at the ends of the coil. That is enough to absorb enough juice for a good taste test. And if I want to add a few more drops it does the trick. Everyone has leftover tidbits of cotton. These work perfectly.

3 Likes