Temperature control, thoughts?

Been exclusively enjoying my original mech Vandy Vape Pulse BF’s for a while now, topped with Hadalys.

Couldn’t resist picking up the new Pulse V2, and it arrived today. Armed with a chip to play with, thought I’d try out TC. Tried SS316L, and I thought the TC was a bit all over the place, then tried NI200, which I’m kind of wary of using. TC was much tighter, but I was still underwhelmed, can’t really explain why.

Changed back to the SS coil, and into VW, and I’m happy again.

Just made me wonder how many you peeps are using TC as your go to mode, and if so, any nuggets of advice? Anyone tried Titanium?

I know the chip will be the dominating factor in the performance, plus I always space coils when mucking around with TC.

Think I’m happy vaping wattage, just after your thoughts!

6 Likes

I use TC when squonking because I can get distracted and forget to keep the well full. I haven’t used Vandy Vape’s TC so I don’t know if it’s just underwhelming or there’s some settings issues. I use SS316L and I don’t have any wonky behaviour with it.

I do prefer VW with tanks though.

5 Likes

I’m not familiar with that mod but many TC mods have a funny setting for SS, don’t know why. For that reason I buy TC mods that have TCR mode where you dial in your own value. I use TC on any tank I run. I have and use TC mods from Smoant, Vaporesso, and Steam Crave. I use TCR on all three. The factory SS316L settings on the Smoant and the Vaporesso were awful! The Vaporesso was the hardest to setup but seems fine now.

If you have a settable TCR, or if you can change the setting for the SS, Ni, Ti give that a try.

Setting up TC requires at minimum, wire setting or TCR value, max temperature setting, watts or Joules setting, and preheat. If setup correct it should vape just like pure Watts or Volts only it will be nicer to your cotton and Coils.

I usually set my max temp anywhere between 390F and 450F, depends on your coil setup and juice. Set your Watts the same as you do if you’re not using TC. Joules is Watts over a period of time. Yihi chips use Joules. You can set it like Watts or just slightly higher. If you rig has TC curve settings don’t use them until you get regular TC working right.

If you are hitting you upper Temperature limit all the time try lowering the power or increasing the upper Temperature limit. Some mods act a little wierd if they are holding steady against the limit for extended periods of time.

I hope this helps.

9 Likes

Oh, I forget to mention that it could also be that you are used to vaping at very high temperatures. Play with that upper limit some. Remember though, too high temps cause the metals in the coils to produce toxic harmful compounds which is really why the vape industry went towards TC in the first place.

4 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

The pulse v2 TCR values are adjustable. I checked the SS316L setting, and it translates to 0.00092, so it is close enough, not saying that tweaking it might not help…

I think maybe that the TC isn’t that good on this chip, and that is evidenced in SS mode. NI is definitely better, which isn’t surprising.

I basically set up as you suggested, might have another play with the SS tomorrow, but I think it was hot spotting as it was ramping up, as I got that faint burnt cotton taste, and I wasnt even trying to force it with a drying wick.

5 Likes

The TC on the PulseX is decent, there are better TC boards, but it’s not too bad.
I think it’s worth playing with the TCR values. 88/92 are fine with 316(L) normally, but I had SS316L wires requiring 120 as a TCR. That was probably from some impurities in that specific wire.
My recommendation is to play with the TCR.
Then enjoy, I love TC on all my Squonker.

4 Likes

Played around with regular tc and replay both. I found I get bored with my juice if the temperature is the same every hit.

5 Likes

try using some contact coils
I did spaced coils for almost 2 years and was blown away how much better the flavour was when I tried contact coils again.

4 Likes

Titanium wire is wonderful in TC, but you have to clean it first. I’d recommend you clean your SS wire as well as some vendors may roll some dirty wire. Best way to check is dampen a paper towel with some rubbing alcohol then run your wire through it and if it leaves dark streaks on the towel, it’s dirty. Some people will run it through steel wool and rinse, I prefer the alcohol and paper towel method, then a good rinse under the faucet. This will improve your flavor, specially with the titanium. Just remember that you CANNOT use wattage mode with titanium wire.
As for mods, I’ve found DNA mods to be the best at TC once you get your TCRs setup. If you want something cheaper, I’d look into a Desire Rage or Cut. Both do TC well and are squonkers. For non squonk, the Cold Steel mod handles TC pretty good and isn’t too expensive. I’m sure there are many others but those come to the forefront.
I love my Pulse X and it’s one of my goto mods, but it doesn’t handle TC with any consistency. I mainly use TC in non-squonkers because I really don’t need it when I squonk.

6 Likes

TC differs per manufacturer. On some devices it’s a mode that does nothing. On others it may only prevent or mitigate a dry hit. On yet others it will bring the coil up to temp and hold it at that temp through the vape. Sometimes I use it, sometimes I don’t. I find it most enjoyable on DNA or Yihi devices.

6 Likes

Interesting. I’m playing again now, and basically at the same wattage and temperature I was the first time I tried SS, the only difference is I’ve upped the coil ID to 3mm as the hadaly posts are close together, and wanted to get a good spacing. Feels better now, so may have been my first coil wasmt too clever. I’ll try a contact coil in a while, I always thought the consensus was spaced for TC …

5 Likes

Yeah, I may have jumped the gun by condemning the Pulse V2 TC. On my second SS coil now, and its definitely better. To be fair though, I’ve never owned a DNA chipped device, so I have no real benchmark.

5 Likes

Unfortunately the only way I know to experience the difference is to try a dna or a yihi. Broadly speaking I have found Smoant, Tesla, and Vaperesso to fall into a second tier. Geek Vape, and quite a few others hold the middle ground and devices like Siegelei fall off the bottom. It’s all about what you want out of TC as well. Some folks don’t really like the flat consistent TC.

5 Likes

It is for Ni and Ti as they can’t be dry burned to work out the hot spots. SS316L can be dry burned but only at lower watts, you don’t want to glow it red hot as it will develop a coating which is not good. Advanced vape supply who specializes in SS316L coils recommends dry burning at 15 to 20 watts.

I will usually space my SS316L coils, just makes it easier, getting an even glow with contact SS316L at 20 watts is a pain sometimes. Just round wire not as much of a pain but complex coils usually benefit from spacing.

4 Likes

That could be why I find it underwhelming actually… never thought of that.

3 Likes

That could be it actually, the consistency is something I assumed I’d like… not sure I do!

3 Likes

lol, sometimes I like it and other times I just like letting vw ramp up till I’ve got a good lung full. Depends on the day, I guess.

2 Likes

Well, I’ve just swapped over to VW mode, and yep, the juice has a more “complex” taste to it… getting the different notes that I was missing. So that’s where my underwhelmment(?) was coming from!

It also struck me that I often “pulse” the fire button on my mechs, maybe twice per hit, to control the vape, so I’m effectively covering a large temperature range at the coil. That’s kinda the polar opposite of TC, and probably why it’s such a different taste.

Thanks, and thanks to @Letitia, looks like I’m not a fan of TC :slightly_smiling_face:.

4 Likes

Absolutely. Different “flavors” come out with different temperatures. All about experimenting with the things until you get that “best hit”. Ramp up will also effect the “flavor” between slower and faster ramps.

4 Likes

Then you should try a Vaporesso Revenger or a mod with the Omni Board if you get a chance. The have a variable temperature curve. That’s a nice vape and brings out all kind of nuances in the right juice. Just setting it up takes some time.

4 Likes