Temperature Protection, why (not)?

@django55

5 Likes

I reckon this sounds like it was my problem, I mainly messed around with TC when my wicking was inconsistent.

It’s been working perfectly the last couple hours on the Jackaroo. I copied the settings you said because I have a single SS 28x4/36 fused clapton at 0.14, in the aromamizer lite at the moment.

Agreed, I came from using the Tirade mainly and battery life on that was amazing. I normally carry at least 3 mods on me at a time, so I don’t tend to have to worry so much about the single battery.

5 Likes

I wonder now if the settings I was using was also part of the problem. Working so much better since I backed it off to 230C, I’m sure I was going closer to 300C.

Great thread @anon28032772, definitely learnt some new tricks! :tada:

6 Likes

Oooh, this is a rambler, careful folks…

I’ve nothing to add to the whys of TC, and the satisfaction it brings those who use it. I too have used it and found it to be just about everything the TC squad above have said. I’m a big fan and this is not a bash post.

I was fortunate in that when I tried TC in 2015, I had a mod that did a decent job of it. iPV4s. I didn’t buy the mod for TC; I bought it because I wanted a dual cell mod and that’s what the B&M recommended. I was really quite new to the whole vaping thing and had a whole lot to learn.

TC was in its’ infancy then but popular (or at least marketed) enough that some mods were popping up with TC chipsets. P4U apparently wanted TC to take off so they spent a bit of time crafting firmware that performed well. That was lucky for me because my initial dabblings with TC were far more successful that they should have been, so I stuck with it and took the time to deep dive into it. Fast forward a year or so (and several encyclopedia volumes of knowledge and experience) and I found Arctic Fox. That was/is the poor man’s eScribe and it took both TC and even power vaping to a new level for me. Still today I’ve never tried DNA or eScribe, but am a big fan of TC.

Why am I saying this? Well, because your thread brought me back to the infancy of my vaping days. OK, maybe toddler days. Once I passed the infant stage and began to crawl, I gained a little confidence and a desire to learn about what I considered to be more advanced things. TC was one of those things. And here’s my point, I think-

Don’t get offended, TC people. This is my opinion and not meant to incite or offend. TC to me is a niche. I can’t envision it becoming the norm and trading places with VV/VW any time soon. It’s because -as the me of my early vape days remembers well- it’s complicated until you ‘get it’. It’s extra steps. It requires more understanding and knowledge than VV/VW. The majority of vapers want to fill a tank or a bottle, slide in some cells, and vape. TC requires that you understand, frankly, much more advanced concepts; correct wire, correct TCR, correct wattage, correct temperature, correct Ohm capture, etc. You, I, anyone, can put in a coil, set one single parameter, and adjust only that parameter and find a sweet spot. That’s good enough for most. TCR requires you to know the metal type, the correct TCR, the correct power, the correct temperature, how to set the Ohm reading correctly…

I know for us, that is trivial and simple. And I know that for dedicated TCR users, it is as familiar setting a wattage is for a VV/VW vaper. And I also know it is easy to say “Hey, it only takes a little practice” because in relative terms, that is true.

But there are many among us that just don’t feel the need or the desire to even bother. “It works good, why would I want to complicate things?”

Told you it was a rambler.

10 Likes

Agreed

I think I fall into that camp.

5 Likes

I get people asking me how TC works. I know this is simplistic and redundant here but I tell them these four things first…

• TCR is how the metal’s resistance changes across the temperature band. The mod uses this predictable value to control the vape.

• Temperature is the max threshold that the mod will heat the vape to.

• Power is the speed the mod uses to get to the max temperature.

• Ohm’s need to be locked with the build at room temperature so the mod performs properly.

There’s mucho more involved but that gives interested parties a 39,000 foot starting point.

6 Likes

Indeed @anon70102222. All excellent and valid points for everything other than the Evolv C chips with replay. All you do with these is find replay mode and vary your wattage (same as non TC). When you find the vape you like scroll to the save puff and click it. Now the Evolv chips are not infallible and from time to time they may go astray but this is more of an exception that doesn’t happen often for me.
I don’t think TC could ever be easier.

6 Likes

Cool… so is Replay basically setting all the possible variables of TC all at one time rather than individually? That does make things simpler!

4 Likes

Not quite all the variables. You can still play with the boost and punch without going into escribe. And you can take it farther in escribe if you wish.
Simple as you want it, yet more complex for those that want to play with it!

4 Likes

When I do my little introduction to TC for those who ask, many of them shrug and say “Fine, but VV/VW works for me.” Those who want to learn more do what we did- take the time to ask, read, learn, play, and enjoy. I think the majority will always decline to endeavor. Even with the nifty Replay.

4 Likes

After learning about the nuances of material types, and how heat affects resistance in regards to our coil applications, TC makes a lot of sense. And when Evolv introduced the “Replay” function with the DNA75C and 250C that’s where it began to truly shine.
No dry hits or burnt wick…ever. With A1 or any non-TC material that’s just not possible.

3 Likes

I’m not. I started this thread to get a better understanding of it and you opinion counts as much as anyone else’s. We don’t all have to agree or like the same things. Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Replay is a little bit different to TC. The mod monitors the resistance curve when you apply power to the coil and it tries to replicate that same curve every time you take a vape, whether you’re standing outside in the cold or vaping in a sauna, it’ll hit that curve nearly every time. Consistency in vape quality is key here.

With regular TC, the mod just watches the resistance, matches it with the chosen (or preset) TCR and regulates the power so that it doesn’t cross the temperature limit that is set. With regular temperature control, that curve will fluctuate with external factors just as much as it would with VW settings (as long as you’re not limited by the temp settings).

6 Likes

But we do in this case. I think TC is great.

5 Likes

@anon28032772… Proud of you, this is an excellent write up and easy to understand…
You have done well! :tada: :+1: :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

I’ve been using TC almost from the start, and definitely since I started rolling my own coils. I keep it simple, 24Ga. SS316L 3mm 6 wraps 0.30 Ohm and 45W power setting at 400F, Eleaf Invoke 2-18650 battery mod and a Geekvape single coil Zeus RTA, I chain vape DIY ejiuce at 80/20 VG/PG and 3mg/ml nic. Only two things I have to remember, one thin the tails of the wick, and two, use the coil trimmer Gauge at 6mm, so the legs are right length for the post-less build deck! No dry hit, no burnt wick, coils last months, though I do have to dry burn them and change wicks occasionally when they get too gunked, I like sweet juice! Main reason for TC, I forget to watch the liquid level, and without it I’d be replacing wicks just about every day!

8 Likes

Nice set up, and good explanation. Love 316L!

4 Likes