Tfa vbic pepper taste

Yes it is.

1 Like

Gelato is very good but needs a long steep in a VG base

1 Like

So the past few years have really gotten me intrigued on the whole pepper thing. I always reach out to flavor companies, and TPA is actually one of the more helpful ones that I have conversed with, besides Wonder Flavors. They have recommended some really great flavor alternatives to the ones I taste pepper in, once they told me about French Vanilla Deluxe (as an alternative to Vanilla Custard), there was no going back, I loved it immediately. Now in their reasoning for the pepper taste, which they say is Vanillin is somewhat confusing. I use 10% Vanillin with no pepper taste at all, just a clean, mallowy, powdery vanilla. And yet, so many of my favorite flavors contain high amounts of Vanillin (trust me, I’ve inquired). So could it be the amount used? Maybe not, I’ve used a lot with no problems. My inkling is that it has to be the way Vanillin reacts with another flavoring ingredient, an ingredient that is specific to VBIC, White Chocolate, and Vanilla Custard (all TPA). I taste it in all of them. This is only my best guess, but the pepper thing has plagued me for two years now.

5 Likes

My wife and I both taste pepper or something that really puts us off. Starting off this was hard because there are so many recipes that include these flavors. However, I tried Cap VC v1 with Vanilla Swirl and can not stand the combination. Do you get the same when using Van Swirl or is this something else? I have used both separately with decent results but just can not do more than 2% Cap VC in any case. I pretty much avoid TFA but the vanilla or vanillin sure makes sense.

1 Like

Check this out.

2 Likes

@Pentine did some investigating into this at one point. Here’s what he found:

It’s possible it’s a combination of the vanillin and butyrate? I see he lists vanillin as being among the culprits, but since @Silhouette you said you use vanillin itself without the effect, maybe you’re right in that it’s a reaction with something else. :thinking:

4 Likes

I made @Silhouette Simply Bangin Banana Pudding (hooked on it) again yesterday and it uses Vanillin along with 3 other vanilla’s. It’s bizarre to me that I only get the pepper taste with TFA yet am using their vanillin. When I first started I thought it was just me but apparently many people are experiencing the same thing. It would be really helpful to figure this out.

4 Likes

Yeah 2% was good. Thank you for the advice.:+1:t2::+1:t2:

2 Likes

I agree. I’m fortunate that I don’t get the pepper note (that I can recall anyway and I use a lot of TPA VBIC), but you’re right, there’s a ton of people that do and there are a lot of flavors that can trigger it, apparently.

4 Likes

just an fyi i could push the flave to 3.75 without a pepper note but go to 4pct and it there a little anything above 4 is pepper but i dont thi k there is a need to go above 3.5 ever

3 Likes

That’s what I’m saying, I use vanillin with no problems, if this is truly their answer. But I have used flavors with no Butanoic Acid or Butyrate that still give off a pepper flavor for me, alternatively I have used flavors high in Butyrate that give off no peppery flavor either. Vanilla Bean Gelato contains both Butyrate and Vanillin, and yet it doesn’t give a pepper taste. Same with Vanilla Swirl, although I don’t get pepper from this either, unless it’s just one of those things that is just different for everyone’s senses.

4 Likes

Thanks. It is a mystery. But at least in my case I wonder if it is a particular vanilla that TFA uses that I am reacting to rather than vanillin. That is why I’m avoiding TFA vanillas except for French Vanilla Deluxe which I use in one of your recipes. Its all over my head. Oddly enough I have a similar problem with Cap VC and just the same I can use INW, Flavorah, or my favorites FA and Purilum. After 50 years of smoking its a wonder I can taste anything.:smiley:

4 Likes

I still get the off taste from CAP Custard, while not as plastic-like if it has been rebottled, but it’s an oddity all the same. So many people love it, my husband loves it, but sometimes I taste it and think ‘what the hell is that taste?’. It surely remains a mystery why some of us taste things so incredibly different than others, but I’d love to figure it out one day. :wink:

2 Likes

After 50 years of smoking it is amazing you are still alive

3 Likes

The geezer is not a wheezer…thanks to vaping and I think many other things. Its pretty far off topic but two of those things are diet and exercise. My doctor (internist) recently declared my lung functions as “pristine.” Cut out as much sugar as possible and don’t drink tap water are just two.

1 Like

You might consider trying Cap French Vanilla. IMO, it’s responsible for the majority of what I love about VC v1, but without the egg notes!

1 Like

Thanks .I’ll try that. I’m mixing right now. What % should i try for a SF tester?

2 Likes

Makes sense (and should be obvious, even though it’s a monumental request for some of us :laughing: )

o0
Whuuut?
Water is supposed to be the healthiest thing we CAN do! :confused:

1 Like

I enjoyed it at 4% as a SF. YMMV

2 Likes

It is. H2O is the universal solvent. But the fluorides and chemicals found in most water supplies are horrible. I went to pure distilled then filtered water years ago and damned near never drink from any other source. I live out in the boonies and am surrounded by fields. My well is 430 feet deep and i still don’t drink it. I read awhile back that almost 90% of people in the US are pissing glyphosate…among many other things.

Reverse osmosis is nearly as good. Don’t use store bought DW in a plastic jug. We bought a system at a reasonable price and would never go back.

2 Likes