The Strictly PG-free Thread! Let's drop some Recipes/WIP's/Flavor Recommendations

Yes! If it takes 5-7 days in PG mixes, it does the same in VG. Same for 2-4 week steepers. I don’t use heat or anything, just shake the crap out if it and toss it in the steep drawer. Opinions definitely vary on this, too. But it works just fine for me.

1 Like

I guess these days even the MTL tanks have larger wicking ports, I always think back to my aspire Clearomiser and the BVC coils and how they had trouble wicking 60/40 :laughing:

1 Like

I just watched this video and here he explains that VG is no good for carrying flavour at all… :thinking:

Have you or anyone else mixed 2 mixes, one 100%VG and one PG/VG mix and compared them? That could be interesting to see.

1 Like

Im not sure if you are in the right thread here, but I’ll check this out. Thanks!

That guy seems like a highly educated chemist, so I won’t say he’s wrong, but he is talking about finished flavour concentrates, not finished e-liquid, needing to be finished in a solvent other than VG which he said is a “poor” solvent. I’m curious how @Walt_RealFlavors made such a successful VG-based concentrate line (before adding the SC(alcohol based) and now finally adding a PG line), if what this guy says is true. Very interesting, indeed!
I’ll fill a tank with my wife’s Strawberry Glazed Doughnut tonight and let you know how it compares to mine. They are exact matches, only hers is missing the 15%PG I add to mine.

1 Like

I think out of the 100 flavors I have in my stash, only 3 or 4 are VG based. Most use alcohol as the solvent, some are pure extracts in only water. But those are MF and are highly concentrated. MF also uses alcohol in some of theirs. One of my all-time favorite concentrates is Creme Brulee VG RF, and there ain’t a thing weak about that one. Lots of RF VG are said to need 8-10%, but this one is fully potent at 2%.

1 Like

I believe he says that the VG won’t carry the flavour well and the 2 separate, so for making flavour concentrates this is not a good thing but like you mentioned it seems others have been successful

1 Like

VG can be a carrier. While yes it is harder to use and is a pain in the butt to make, it can be done. (they should not separate)

The keys here are the right amount of heat and the right amount of painance.

4 Likes

I’m wondering if Walt was using alcohol to make the original VG line and just adding VG to dilute. It’s all above my level of education, I just know what works for me.

Alcohol seems to be a great replacement for PG in concentrates, though. The NF extracts smell like they have a LOT of alcohol in them, but I dont taste it in my NF-heavy mixes after an overnight stay in the steep drawer. I usually wait at least until the next morning to try anything, but a week minimum for short-steepers to take out into the world.

2 Likes

I’ve run out of likes for today so you get :cake:

2 Likes

Thanks, Walt! Always there to help clear things up.

1 Like

Thanks! :slight_smile: No , i thought that V2 had also vanished :laughing: . I’m working from V2 now. My modification has had a whole three days to steep. Way too soon to taste it, right? But soon as I do taste, i’ll let you know what i think.

Been having an interst ing discussion on the impact of gear on taste in that Crio Bru thread of all places.

i’d be wary of adding any MF Grape until I’ve thoroughly SF tested it, given that their Sauvignon Blanc burns really easily , according to own tests .

As for my Rum and Coke (above) I’ve got thoroughly sick of it, cos I kept automatically turning the wattage up , to get a better nicitine hit, and it tastes truly disgusting at high temperature :nauseated_face: . I should put a big red warning next to that! ( But damn! We don’t have the option adjust text colour here, do we?)

If anybody knows a good PG-free cola that doesn’t burn , please let me know!

2 Likes

much appreciated! you get a like and a :cake: from me!

2 Likes

Ok here’s another WIP, using MF rum,. Decided to be brave and make this one public:

My comments thus far:
I used the KH cream cos that’s the only organic cream in my stash, and thought I might as well keep to the organic theme. You can use MF insread of the BE dilutions, in which case divide the % by 10 (BE is available here: https://vapourdepot.com/product-category/concentrates/brands/botanic-elixir/ )

tasting @ 2 weeks ( a bit too early for an MF mix, but couldn’t wait) :
First puff was so overloaded with cream, i thought I’d drowned everything else! But it all settled down and it seems to be nicely balanced thus far, with all the flavours coming through , except perhaps the honey.
Might try increasing the honey a bit, or maybe try some different sweeteners. And possibly a very slight touch of lemon? So far I;'m quite liking this. I’ll, give it longer to steep before messing with it.

1 Like

Looks tasty! The tables have turned…I don’t have any of those flavors!

1 Like

Mwuhahahaha!

Don;t bother with BE pear, go straight to MF!
It’s greatflavour. but it really needs to be at at least 10% (equibalent to 1% MF) IMO, or else it’s just too tantalisingly subtle (might be nice in some recipes but i really want to taste the pear, here) .
After playing with the BE a bit, I’m planning on getting the MF,soon as my wallet stops looking at me like that

The honey is probably best used in BE form mind! or diluted by yourself. It would be way too hard to contol at full MF strength

I will definitely grab those at some point. What’s up with KH? Is it EU or UK specific? Should I just go with a good cream from over here, do you think?

1 Like

It’s an UK flavour. See here:

Might be worth checking out their shipping costs. Allmost certain to be a damned sight cheaper than your extortionate USA Inernational Shipping rates.

I have fallen in love with their Butter! I only bought it cos I couldn’t find another PG-free butter locally, but I very much doubt you could improve on it. And their lemonade and…

Well, it’s surprisingly good stuff, in the main. My only bitch is it’s so very dilute.

P.S. But yeah, I very much doubt it’s worth a raid on Flavour Hub just for their cream. You’ve got some great cream from NF available over there, I think?

1 Like

I’ve been using RFSC for most of my creams. FW Whipped Cream is VG, though, and that’s really nice too. I haven’t dialed-in the NF Vanilla Cream that I have yet. I need to do some SF testing on it. I’ve just thrown it in to a couple of recipes and they didn’t really work out.

1 Like

I’m test-driving this one right now and it’s delicious! 18 days steeped is good, hoping I can leave it alone til the 30 day mark.

1 Like