They are a lot of flavor warning out there like Diacetyl and Acetoin. Which are you most concerned about?

I cannot think of any substitutes from sugars to artificial to custards that are better for you, if not worse, than the real thing. In my experience, especially being a chef, you are just trading one devil for another. I believe in moderation and as @ringling put it our exposure is so low that I’m not having any issue sleeping at night.

Using the popcorn workers for example, they were basically breathing in 100% pure diacetyl powder day in and day out for years and developed the popcorn lung. I won’t lie and say that I am not the slightest bit worried because in their case it is alarming but for whatever reason they still are not even sure if that was the direct cause. I still use items with “custard notes” but I’m careful not to have high percentages if and when possible and I will sadly remove them from my juices when I have something to be worried about

I know companies like TFA have items like their DX line, Vanilla swirl, Gelato, etc that I supposedly free of all this but I can’t stand most of them IMO…I think the swirl and the gelato are the only 2 I actually like…

I guess it comes down to how proactive you want to be on this and unfortunately it takes years and a horrible incident to verify any problems…history has shown us this if you follow me. They thought cigarettes were good for you way back in the day and it wasn’t until years later and an ass ton of tests/research to find out how horribly wrong they were

1 Like

I just realized it looks like I’m contradicting myself now haha The key word here is TRY and to explain myself when I first started out vaping I was going crazy with cream/custard flavors…I fricken LOVE them and I was always adding sweet cream here and Bavarian cream there. It wasn’t until an uber paranoid friend of mine brought to attention the whole diacetyl issue that I TRY to pull back more now. I now try to make newer recipes that don’t have creams or have lower percentages but the fact I was a smoker for 20 some years and never developed movie theatre lung from all the diacetyl in cigarettes doesn’t really make me afraid of what I currently use…

Mother$#@ker!!! How the hell did I just end up getting pulled back into this damn rabbit hole!!! Ok I’m done!

Good luck

3 Likes

No please mista, not the rabbit hole, I just got out of the briar patch :weary:

5 Likes

5 Likes

And that’s not even proven. It was only assumed that diacetyl was the cause.

Furthermore, if there is Butyric Acid and even small amounts of acetoin, acetyl propionyl or diacetyl, it could make the whole thing much worse. I posted this:

That said. I avoid Butyric Acid and don’t mind vaping the other three, and I’m not worried! :smile:

6 Likes

Here’s one to to narrow your search time. No PG, and no diacetyl. These Are a little pricey,
but i hear they are high quality. And, it’s a trusted company. Thanks to @R113 for the link.
https://www.naturesflavors.com/215-organic-flavor-extract-without-diacetyl

Edited edit.
/facepalm
/wipes egg off.
/edits the OP’s title to prevent any more car wrecks.

For the record…
Acetone IS NOT a component in eliquid or flavoring.

@OP: spelling is critically important in some cases.

Acetoin is the term (and chemical) associated with vaping.

7 Likes

Yeah me2, I vape all day and at night have a bag of microwave popcorn as a snack. I make a habit now of not smelling the steam released from the bag of popcorn as I open it, I just hold my breath for a lil while…I should be golden. LOL smooth as butteh

2 Likes

Was watching NBC Dateline last night, story about a young girl attempting to fly cross country in a single engine prop. She was utilizing a GPS device and mistakenly omitted a zero when entering her coordinates. She ended up flying in the wrong direction into an inescapable box canyon and crashed. Yeah, the devil is in the details.

2 Likes