Best Taste Noodle Cheapest thread!

OI!

WHERE’S @SuperFrog??

I looked in both supermarkets in the asian food section for the grain vinegar - nothing.

Ended up with some cheap, shitty rice wine vinegar instead, which says is suited to sushi, but it should dettol be mild enough to stir-fry.

Actually just remembered there’s a dedicated asian grocery here in town - I’ll go there and have a choice of grain vinegars, though I’m surprised the supermarkets didn’t have any.

Everg out of the asian section - down the isle with all the oils and vinegars - they had no grain version.

I mean I’m aware a lot of standard vinegars would be created from grain but I also know that just like the right soy sauce, the right grain vinegar would be milder and better for my noodle experiments :thinking:

2 Likes

Maybe a bit off topic, but the problem with GMO is that they bring little benefits and come at a cost. They tend to maximise the profit for the seed company and make the farmer a lesser contractor.
For a higher price of seed you get sterile plants (so you have to buy seeds again) that tend to require using expensive inputs to the production process.
The clever farmer at the moment is using seed that have been adapted to the local conditions, either through seed reuse or suitable sourcing.

6 Likes

Obvsly in frog legs countries where the freedom fries are just fries.

3 Likes

There you are!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

For me MSG = instant migraine. Found that out the hard way.

4 Likes

I would not object to using it, except I’m perfectly happy with the amount of flavour already in it from the high quality soy and sesame seed oil plus I usually use a little of the powdered flavour sachet that comes in the noodles - pretty sure that has MSG anyway :slight_smile:

Though I also use the 1-shot flavor pastes advs I have no idea what’s in them.

2 Likes

Yes. It is pretty much dried stuff from factory floor + msg :slight_smile: the other bag is palm oil and chilli usually.

Msg is present naturally in many veg, just not at the high levels fond in some fast food.
Personally I perceive it as bitter which is usually not desirable.

4 Likes

Yeah this all started with my wanting to make ordinary 2-minute noodles better than the sloppy shit we have as snacks or as a ‘last thing in the cupboard’ resort.

Started replacing the shitty sachels of soy, oil and dried onion that comes in the pack with ther noodles, adding fresh vegetables, fresh garlic and onion…

Now I’m getting the hang of how easy it is to improvise with stir-frying stuff like that I’m turning near inedible instant crap into pretty good noodle meals.

I’d try rice but that’s gotta be pre-cooked and left in the fridge then eaten within x days or whatever…

3 Likes

Get yourself a rice cooker. Endless possibilities of rice and veg and even meat all thrown in the pot. Cheap small ones very affordable. Mine cost me something like 7 euros before the euro existed and it is still going.

4 Likes

Peanut Butter is also great in noodles.

Right in the middle of the stir-frying you can add it anytime: just spoon all the noodles outwards so they’re all around the edge of the fry-pan - leaving a ‘well’ in the center of exposed hot-plate, pour some oil on this middle area of exposed metal to heat up, then add a tablespoon or so of peanut butter straight from the jar and stir the oil and peanut butter into each other as they warm-up and melt.

That’ll make your peanut butter thinned enough to stir through the noodles and you can then just spoon the noodles back into the middle and toss the peanut butter and oil mixture through em :wink:

Because Peanut Butter is pretty much just a neutral nutty flavour, you can still use whatever other spices, flavourings etcetera you’d normally use without it :+1:

3 Likes

Yep, yum. Works well too.

3 Likes

What I just added to my noodles for dinner :wink:

Figure I’d add it here since it’s yet another commonly found food thing in everyone’s cupboard, that can be used as an additive, in noodles anyhow…

Don’t know how it’d be in fried rice, I’m thinking too sticky, but noodles - noodles are so versatile :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Renamed!

Should’ve been that anyway :smirk:

@Ianc13 know anything about converting freebase => salts with citric acid by any chance?

2 Likes

Have to do it a little different in rice and it works better in normal (boiled/steamed) rice. Need to thin the peanut butter more, like a water consistency. Then add chilli powder and mix it through. Sorry, I like spicy. Looks like crap (literally) but I like the taste,

3 Likes

Ahhh yeah I can imagine how you mean.

I should get a rice cooker huh… give me a base to swap so it’s not always just noodles.

Or pasta, but that doesn’t matter since I’ve grown so enthusiastic about how, like I said versatile noodles are that though they should have got boring already they haven’t, because I can just vary the kinds of shit I add to 'em.

And really, using pasta as an example it’d be nothing for your average italian family to eat pasta 8 nights outta 10 because there’s so many versions of sauces and dishes the pasta’s just the hmm… the VG:PG of the mix :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Rice vinegar = grain vinegar they are interchangeable

Try frying half a tomato, diced, half an onion, diced, some garlic, and a sprinkle of shredded cheddar with your stir fried noodles. :drooling_face:

5 Likes

I made this vegan 'chicken" pad Thai with tamari today. It tastes a lot better than it looks.

6 Likes

Oh it looks better than mine usually do, but I’ve got a propensity to forget to get everything a d then make do with only fresh onion, garlic and peas or only fresh onion and no peas, or fresh broccoli and do onion or garlic.

Looks excellent actually…

Good comfort food :slight_smile:

I’ve got angel hair noodles I got the other day, but I’ve always found they don’t quite seem to grab onto the sauce and flavours nearly as well as chunkier noodles, so I haven’t used them…

Same with pasta actually: really thin pasta always seems to repel sauce and taste… less tasty 'cause of that.

4 Likes

Try using rice noodles. They bind with flavors really well.

5 Likes

I will, though not the angel hair noodles maybe…

They’re technically rice noodles (rice vermicelli or however it’s spelled), but they’re so thin, they’ve always turned out badly when I’ve tried gingerb in those instant noodle cups.

Cause instant noodle cups are hardly supposed to turn-out top-notch since you just add boiling water and sachets of flavouring…

Maybe they’d be better fried-up properly?

Hmm.

4 Likes