Thoughts About PDO

Was thinking about the use of PDO (USP Grade 1,3-Propanediol) as a substitute for PG… I’ve seen it used in pre mixed “base’s” but I’m looking more towards using it instead of PG…
Thoughts and comments (especially those of you whom have used it) are appreciated…
After a better part of a decade I’m hesitant on changes to my “fundamental” Ingredients… Although I’m open minded toward bettering my ways…

2 Likes

If you feel like reading a bunch, there is tons of conversation about pdo here.

That thread is about a premixed base, but you should be able to get a good idea of how it acts in a recipe. In a nut shell, the general consensus is that it mutes certain flavors, especially in the long term, which may or may not be a good thing depending on what you’re going for.

4 Likes

A little bit off topic but Real Flavors has a small line of PDO based flavors - https://www.realflavors.com/collections/vendors?q=PDO%20Flavors

4 Likes

This is why I stick with VG and distilled water. Too complicated!

3 Likes

The only PG in my juices is what’s in the flavors. I get VG nic and use VG from NR. I don’t even use distilled water. And we’re happy as clams with it.

2 Likes

Too thick for tanks without a tick of water. If your dripping, that’s another story. I know there’s PG in some of the flavors I use but me and PG no no no…

2 Likes

For a second i thought this was gonna be about PHP Data Objects… :joy:

Find out more here also:

3 Likes

PDO is roughly 1.063mg/ml ?? Can someone Confirm??

3 Likes

If PDO is 1.063mg/ml then the following should be true:

Amount: 1ml
Nicotine Type: (PG:0%/VG:100%) 72mg/ml
PDO or PG/VG: 30/70
Flavours: None

**PG:**
Nicotine:         0.04ml     0.05g     4.17%
PG:               0.30ml     0.31g     30.00%
VG:               0.66ml     0.83g     65.83%
Total Base:       1.00ml     1.19g     100.00%
Total:            1.00ml     1.19g     100.00%

**PDO:**
Nicotine:         0.04ml     0.05g     4.17%
PG:               0.30ml     0.32g     30.00%
VG:               0.66ml     0.83g     65.83%
Total Base:       1.00ml     1.20g     100.00%
Total:            1.00ml     1.20g     100.00%

Not a huge Difference as base but flavours will effect this quite a bit

2 Likes

I really appreciate all the info everyone contributed…
I was getting just a feel for it but now I have read through all the info I feel that it’s better for me to stick with my traditional route (usually max VG anyway)…
Though I did take away valuable information and that is really what’s important, for me…:slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

The only dripping I do is down the side of my tank when I over fill it. lmao
I use the following
Maganus at 0.2 ohms
Delta 2 @0.25 I think Ohms
Atlantis @ 0.3
Atlantis @ 0.3
Innokin Isub @? I cant remember what they are
and
Ego 1 mega and I can’t remember what it is either.
I’ve never used water or anything other than the flavors in my juices. Most of my recipes are from12 to 20 percent flavor total and I vape at 3mg nic but it’s VG too
My juices are thick but I’ve never had a problem with them in my tanks

3 Likes

I can tolerate the PG I get from my flavorings, but beyond that and it starts to feel like I have a bull moose sitting on my chest.

2 Likes

Yeah I agree, that I get my total amount of Pg from my flavors too…
*except when I was into making chocolates…
Years ago when I first started with DIY I was In a chocolate frenzy (much like the RY4 craze back in the day LoL !!)
With the choc flavored juices I had to make those 50/50 sometimes 60 or even 70% PG because choc flavored Xtracts become more blanketed and longer steeps with high VG content… in addition most of my recipes were higher % flavoring to boot as well…

yeah pg from flavs cant be avoided (i just changed to RF) but i just got around one headache by making bulk single flavor amounts
10% Dragonfruit 40% PG 50% VG = 500ml 50/50 *ish

and now i make all my recipes from bulk pre steeps single flavors.

1 Like

I stopped vaping due to PG allergies, used VG based liquids with 10% added distilled water, found it difficult to get a good flavour.

Recently I came across McFlavors, they use PDO in all of their liquids, I decided to try some, after several days vaping with the liquids I had no allergy problems, the flavours came through very very well. Only had the usual dry mouth and nasal passages which was managable. I’ve been looking for PDO suppliers in the UK to mix my own but haven’t came across any as of yet.

1 Like

I only know of two and both are in the states , sorry.
https://liquidlabs.us/product/13-propanediol-usp/
https://www.realflavors.com/products/1-3-propanediol-pdo-1?variant=23530386307

Thanks BowHowdy, my apologies for not replying sooner, I’ve now managed to find a supplier of a propanedoil nic base in the EU.