Thread Resurrection Etiquette

What do you all feel the etiquette is on resurrection of old threads? I often find myself trawling through posts where the question I have has been asked before, with a lot of helpful suggestions proffered but rarely does anyone pop back later to say, by the way future lurkers, this suggestion worked out great for me, obviously ymmv.

I’ve stopped myself a number of times from posting asking how things played out because a thread is 6 months old (or even older). There can be a lot of criticism of new members for not using the search function, I’m addicted to the damn thing but I can see why people often post repetive topics because there quite often isn’t any conclusion to what’s gone before.

Anyway, that was a waffley 2 pence from me, just wondering how people feel about me posting one old stuff asking how things worked out?

13 Likes

Recommended, and suggested!
Better to have a single thread with lots of input, than 40 splinter cells.

16 Likes

Maybe I’m reading this out of context but IMHO, and going on the assumption that performing a search is a relatively common sense first approach, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with asking about resolutions or closure on a topic if you haven’t found a satisfying answer. Even if the thread is old as dirt.
Just my 2 cents…:blush:

13 Likes

I think it’s fine as long as the person actually read the thread. It seems like a simple concept but doesn’t always happen. Just love when an erection happens asking the same question but the answer is at the tip of the post. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But yeah, post away. Ultimately the only hate/negativity that happens is when someone is just trolling and being a poopie pants.

12 Likes

I agree, and I think I would add also “as long as the thread is of high quality…” What I mean by that is that if the thread is “all posts relevant and on topic” then it is a productive use of the readers time to scan thru the revived thread and get the information he needs.

The Forum is in much better shape now than a year ago when the trolls ran rampant. But it is still an issue to some extent. For example, recently a thread concerning a regulated mod appeared and there were a lot of good relevant follow-on posts. So far so good. Then someone started making posts that were ad hominem personal attacks denigrating the previous posters post. Totally non productive. Then the thread falls apart. So, if ‘bumped’ then a waste of any future readers time.

IMHO as long as the moderators aggressively keep the threads to relevant and only on topic posts, and immediately delete the nonsense, then I agree, that “bump” posts to revive the subject matter of a good clean thread are fine.

PS: Of course, my above comment does not apply to designated areas of the Forum where 'all’s fair" like The Pub.

7 Likes

So a universal ‘let common sense reign’ then. I love this forum :grin:

7 Likes

DIY/Vaping is ever evolving and what was true or acceptable in the past may not represent present day DIY/Vaping. I revisit a lot of old threads and I have no issue revisiting old threads for updates or present day corrections.

If there is something you would like to update, correct or discuss, than I really hope you do so as I only see it as being helpful and relevant to inquire.

12 Likes

I don’t mind resurrecting old topics, as mentioned it would stay under one roof (or topic header) and not all over the place, the second pro people interested can read opinions, and such about let’s say flavors and see how they evolved if applicable etc.

However there’s also a negative side to it, as always with everything lol. Some people don’t have the patience, too scroll and read through a 80+ comment topic, especially if it’s let’s say very “dated” 2012+

Others might have their forum set to “scroll to my post/where I left off to read” and might not have commented but we’re actively reading it, now they need to go back too see where this conversation ended, or what it was about.

This can be very time consuming, so my suggestion is this, if you just want to discuss a old topic and won’t need an answer the same day, continue the old topic.

If it’s something you need a direct answer too and very shortly, open a topic and ask, after its answered we can always have a mod move it into the old topic, if necessary.

7 Likes

Although I would usually tend to agree, it really depends on where you are at and what you are doing at the time.

• in the bedroom with your loved one. Perfect
  • at your child’s parent/teacher conference. Not so much
13 Likes

I was waiting for someone to catch that.

It’s all supposed to be for the fun and passion of mixing and vaping the end result here.

8 Likes

Yes, yes, and more yes @Sprkslfly, @BikesAndBacon.

9 Likes

I gots ah question. I have a few notes to put in on one of my Amoretti flavors, should I put it in the Amoretti Fravorings thread or the Amoretti Home User Line thread?

3 Likes

Oh, one more thing. I’m not trying to be a smart ass, really; which one?

3 Likes

id suggest Amoretti Flavorings

8 Likes

I’d go with the flavourings thread, that seems to be more about flavour notes whereas the home user line seems to be more about logistics of the recent samples and what’s been received that’s unsuitable, plus that ones slightly derailed…

9 Likes

I agree with what ya’ll said.

I have also made the mistake of not realizing I was in an old thread. However, if it isn’t closed for further discussion one would think it’s fair game.

8 Likes

Absolutely!

7 Likes