Titration question

Ok this has been bothering me for several hours now. And i have come to some conclusions after running several thinking paths and scenarios through my. I don’t claim these conclusions are correct but without further input these will be my assumptions on the matter.

Testing nic will remain a best practice thing that i’m ot to concerned about as long as i am using a trusted supplier. Because for the lvls to be that severly off in the end product (e-liquid) that neither my nic supplier, me or the end user to would notice it and serious harmwould come to them, would require some kind off doomsday scenario.

Maybe i’m just not the carefull type. But on a side note i vaped diy juice from other mixers, tasted juice from friends (in their setups) off which i didn’t know the origin without ever worrying about the nic concentration. How do you guys do that?

Now don’t get me wrong i do agree that nicotine is a dangerous product as it is in fact a poison. But, and this is what bothers me about a part off the mixing community, some make it seem like it is required to handle it in full hazmat gear cause getting a drop on your skin causes insta death. Giving the fda, tpd and who ever all the more reason to say " see we need to limit the availability of nicotine it just to dangerous and thousands off people will die by wrong usage accidents.

4 Likes

I think this is exactly what we are trying to avoid. By encouraging proper nicotine testing and handling, it’s less likely there will be accidents that the FDA can use against us. No, getting a drop of nic on your skin won’t kill you instantly, but given enough, 100mg/ml nicotine can kill you or make you violently ill. @nappen can attest to that. If you double that strength, which is what the Nude Nic nicotine wound up almost being, you halve the amount needed to do the same damage.

I don’t wear gloves or goggles, but I dilute my 100mg nic to 24mg/ml for mixing with. I haven’t titrated even though I know I should because I’ve not had any issues. And even if my nic were double the strength advertised, my supposed 24mg dilution would be 48mg and then what was supposed to be a 1.5mg batch would be 3mg. 48mg and 3mg are still not dangerous amounts. What might be dangerous in that case is when I went to dilute my supposed 100mg down. If I spilled a significant amount on me, 200mg/ml nic would likely put me in the hospital or the morgue. I used to buy 60mg/ml nic instead for this reason. It’s only recently that I switched to 100mg and now that I have, I’m reconsidering not titrating.

So, do you HAVE to wear gloves and goggles when mixing? Do you HAVE to test your nic? In short, no. Is it a good idea? Yes.

5 Likes

Ah but it has been suggested in here that because i supply people with e-liquid but don’t test my nicotine that it is only a matter of time that i seriously harm people by means off nicotine poisoning. Which i don’t agree with and i think i would more likely win the lottery.

Strongest i mixed for anybody was 18mg/ml even if my 100mg/ml base would some how have been 200mg/ml the end product still would only contain 36mg/ml hardly lethal for vaping or even spilling over your self. In fact if i(not even the client) where to spil a whole liter of 100mg/ml in my lap during mixing and i would get out off my pants and wipe it off, i’m pretty sure i would be able to tell te tale.

But the scare is real, even from the first day of researching diy e-liquid online i have seen these dramatic posts that make it seem like nicotine is almost as dangerous as nuclear waste from a powerplant. In my eyes thats not preventing accidents but plain old scare tactics. A simple caution warning like handle with care, use common sense and keep out off reach off childeren because nicotine is poisonous will suffice for 99% off the adults to prevent accidents. The other 1% are the people that make you wonder how they even reached the adulthood age in the first place.

2 Likes

@JoJo same here. As I’ve watched this thread unfold, it made me think of a pretty simple point. If the ONLY person vaping your juice is you, well, it’s up to YOU to decide whether or not to test. Just like if YOU decide to smoke analogs, then you deal with the consequences. The moment you share, give, sell, trade any of your juice to anyone else, I think it should be mandatory.

4 Likes

And another thought, I don’t think anyone’s preaching to anyone else here, but when discussing Best Practices, that should always be on the front burner.

3 Likes

It is mandatory or at least i’m assuming it is. Just like over here (EU) bottles can’t be larger then 10ml, can’t contain more then 20mg/ml of nicotine, should have the warnings printed on the bottle, have a tactile warning sticker for the visually impaired and should come with childproof caps. Probably other required by law things aswell but that i don’t know about.
And if i would somehow manage to meet all criteria i’m pretty sure i would have to declare my little side business aswell cause the goverment would want their share.

3 Likes

MY final 2 cents.

I agreed that it would be a best practice. But by saying that i don’t in combination with the fact that i suplly other people with juice got me ending up with a red cross painted on my forehead as a potential killer (only a matter off time).

Now i would really like to see the results when a poll would be organized. How many of us experienced mixers have tested all of their nic and how many on 11 time or another have supllied juice to someone else ( even if free of charge). I’m betting we could change the name of the forums to serial killers anonymous.

Again is it a best practice? YES i’m just being honest i never did it and that i’m not to concerned about it, plus that "I "think alot off people make nicotine to come out way more dangerous then it really is.

4 Likes

Hmmmm. Interesting how this thread is unfolding. And I feel like rambling.

-yes. It is true. When I mix I don’t wear gloves…I do though have my bottle stabilized so it doesn’t tip over and measure by weight and volume at the same time. Overkill yes, but it only takes me a second.
-when I do get a new shipment in I test every time. Then when it’s time to break down to individual bottles I wear gloves and glasses. Yes, IMO breaking down for me has the highest potential for harm.
-do I know of mistakes. Yes. When I first starting vaping I was sold a bottle of 8mg finished product and it had zero. That was the first juice I ever purchased. I purchased an 8 and a 6…the hope was that I was going to be able to step down. Well the 8 did nothing for me…back to smoking for a week. I put my big boy pants on and was like, hey you still have the 6 let’s try again. Wamo… light headed and everything after chain vaping. The only conclusion is that the 8mg was not 8 and mistakes happpen. Neither the shop or manufacture took responsibility. I switched shops and a couple months later jumped into dyi. Moral of the story mistakes happen. Thankfully it wasn’t over nic’d

-that being said…who wants to take responsibility for a mistake with nic? No one. Does anyone want to tell some they give juice to, I skip steps and am unwilling to take 5 mins to test my nic? Hmmm…I know these are strong statements/questions not meant to be negative. But cause a second of pause, and ponder…do we care about our self and others. For me, yes I care because I was harmed. For my experience, if I didn’t step up I would probably still be smoking.

All of which is said with love, care, and a certain level of respect.

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s that extreme. I know I don’t think any less of you, and I’d be surprised if anyone else did either… But, I’ve viewed the whole exchange as “what should be done” ideally.

I don’t think anyone is out to crucify you.

3 Likes

Well, yeah you should be distrustful. When companies like Bayer are willing to provide HIV to hemophiliacs in order to protect profit. I guess it’s hard to trust modern pharma.

So no, it has nothing to do with nictotine-- but everything to do with your point.

2 Likes

So if you get seriously sick you dive in your herb garden looking for a cure? Or do you visit a doctor?
Each to their own off course but I’ll take my chances with the doctor not in the slightest because I don’t have a herb garden :rofl:

3 Likes

Not what I said, but if you just want to entrench in blind faith. You are welcome to. It doesn’t impact me, so not invested in your outcome.

What I said was, “A fool trusts blindly…” I just used different words.

I did not say, with those different words, “Don’t go to the doctor.”

Of course, those people’s doctors had no idea, they were giving their patients HIV did they?

Any more than with untested nic-- you know what the real dose is.

Oh and for the record, I don’t test my nic. I mix at 1mg so even if there is variation in what I receive it would have to be serious for me to really be harmed. I do engage in blind faith that Nic River sends me what they say. I do also pay attention to the first batches I make with a new supply that it doesn’t seem off or cause nic illness, etc.

2 Likes

And what I was saying that yes I trust the EU or UK based company to test the nic before making 100 ml bottles out of the bulk mix they made. Just like I trust the pharmaceutical company to test the strength of their medicine before shipping it out to local pharmacies. As do I trust my doctor to prescribe me the right dose should I need it. Is it better to test and make sure, yes it is. But still I put trust in many different things, if I did not I would be making tin foil hats instead of e-liquid

3 Likes

After reading some of these I notice that people break their 100mg Nic down. For me I mix it with the 100mg to keep the process safer for me. I already know if I am transferring the 100mg Nic, id probably get spillage. So, for me it works better to keep any transfers to a minimum. Unless theres another reason that I’m not aware of to break it down.
I dont wear glove or a mask or anything but I found that using the tuberculin (1cc) syringe draws up the viscious liquid much better than the larger syringes. The smaller syringe is easier to handle and it draws it faster than any other syringes.
I’m curious why people break it down?

2 Likes

Right Boys, time to dispense 2ml of 72mg/ml Nicotine!

8 Likes

Liking the duc-tape

7 Likes

I’m betting @Laura5 will too! :rofl:
Only she’ll say they’re a bit deficient in that area.

3 Likes

I sent you another package…this one is green and red. Whoot whoot!
Btw, thats NOW WHERE NEAR enough duct tape.

3 Likes

Oh! Good to know! (and thank you!)

3 Likes

In fact Nude Nicotine sent out multiple batches of nic that was nearly twice what it should have been. Both times the batches were in VG and each came out to appx 180+mg/ml. The full discussion is on reddit.

Jake, the asshole owner of NN, called us all liars at first. Then an ejuice vendor came forward with complaints so we took the entire conversation to reddit to get him to admit it soon he wouldnt return any of our communications.

At the end of the conversation he said he would email me with 15 minutes, that was a couple/few years ago now.

I was a HUGE NN fanboi back then and if Jake wasnt such an ass about it all i still would be.

I went by /u/To0nMan on reddit. Normally i wouldnt call people names other than their own but Jake absolutely earned it.

Hope that helps.

4 Likes