Tobacco Extraction Using Heated Ethanol

I read of someone trying a water extraction of tobacco with success. It only took a few minutes to steep, and after some evaporation, was ready for shake and vape.

My concern was the pops and spits from adding a water based extract to an eliquid. Also, there is nothing to really preserve the extract, as there would be no antimicrobial properties with the water. But I am thinking now that it might be evaporated and transferred to ethanol for further evaporation and to preserve it.

The benefit I imagine would be that the water based extract wouldn’t absorb the oils and tars and waxes, and filtration would be simple.

With ethanol, it will always hold oils, even after freeze filtering, as demonstrated by doing a post-freeze filter evaporation. Residue always forms during evaporation from my experience.

Not to mention water is cheap. Some people have difficulty sourcing 190 proof PGA, or it’s too cost prohibitive.

The water based extract was on my to-do list, just haven’t gotten that far yet.

2 Likes

I didn’t mind the outcome of EA extractions, ‘tis true. They seemed to be a bit more vibrant to the palate. But, as I’ve said before, the whole process was a bit too fiddly for me. I’ll admit… I’m an “easy way out” NET maker. My process suits my tastebuds and DIY nature of things.

However, I laud other folks adventurous wanderings in the NET realm. :hugs: That’s what it’s all about… finding your own method and passing on information which might be helpful to others.

2 Likes

I hate getting ahead of myself here, but I’ve come across some interesting discoveries. I extracted a cigar of mine a while back, a “Fleur De La Reine” in PGA. Took an 8oz mason jar to fit the whole thing, around 200ml PGA. 1 week cold soak followed by 12 hour hot extraction. Evaporated to 50ml, and dry ice freeze filtered, followed by a final evaporation down to 30ml.

When I tried an e-liquid at 10% extract about a month on the shelf, it was weak and unimpressive. But after about 2 months, I tried it again for the heck of it; the flavor was very complex, a little skunky in a good way, if any cigar smokers know what I mean. Still just a touch too weak, but very promising.

The real kicker is that I’ve vaped two full tanks of it on a KF Prime, on my third tank, using the same wick and coil. Chain vaped at times. The wick and coil look new for all intents and purposes. I’m going to keep refilling until it’s burnt. This is 90% VG, mind you.

I’ve been trying lower wattage, and that seems to help. I’m around 10-11 watts. To be honest, I can’t remember the build, I’m pretty sure it’s kanthal. Maybe 28 gauge. Comes in around 1.2 ohms.

I’m going to evaporate my PGA extract down to 20ml or so. It’s pretty outrageous starting with 200 or so ml and evaporating down that far, but for the flavor, it’s worth it to me.

The only thing it’s missing is that ash tray in your mouth kind of feel, which I find myself surprisingly missing. The Vodoo Queen accomplishes that well. I think it’s the Latakia. I’m going to add just a touch of Latakia as a little ‘seasoning’ to my next e-liquid batch of Fleur De La Reine.

Time allowing, i will try some more cigar extracts. I think I will try to go more robust, edgy.

1 Like

I am not quite following all this. Do I have this right? The “extract about a month on the shelf” was only the already extracted Ethyl Alcohol by itself with the tobacco feedstock since removed at the point of the 1 week cold soak 12hr hot extraction? If true then I am not getting what you are wanting the already extracted EA to do by itself over time on the shelf. You then say " But after about 2 months I tried it again…" So do you mean,“tried again” of the already extracted EA only without any additional feedstock?

If I get the gist of all this, it seems like you are thinking something is supposed to be happening to the already extracted fluid over time in the absence of a feedstock to get to a goal of a “better extract” -meaning perhaps ‘more flavor’ -more robust?

1 Like

Sorry for the confusion. It was the e-liquid of a 90% VG 10% PGA eliquid that was ‘steeped’ a month. When I vaped, wasn’t impressive. Needed another month for impressive results.

1 Like

OK. I understand now. Thanks for clarifying that. I do have some comments about your experience on that, but they are wide of this topic thread and would drag it off topic. I might PM you on that when I get time. Have a great day :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, the “evaporation” is going to be key to getting that water extraction to work. But no Problem: Let me have your CC number and I will have one of these delivered to your door next week:

This thing will do double duty with your dry ice HEE, Hot Ethanol Extraction

1 Like

As long as you can come up with a reason while I would need it in my kitchen, I can have my wife agree to it!

It makes the best ice cream, right? Martha Stewart was using this for everything lately I heard…

What we need is a NET lab. Something like a GoFundMe project where NET vapers pool resources on equipment and supplies in return for the latest and greatest NET e-liquids. I’m sure the FDA would love that!

1 Like

BTW, I was planning on evaporating the water in front of a dehumidifier fan in an enclosed room. Gets pretty dry in there fast. I was able to evaporate 200ml ethanol down to 30ml in a shallow dish alarmingly fast.

Any objections to that method for ethanol or water?

1 Like

Cleaned up the train wreck here a little. Deleted some of the non-ethanol related posts. Will save those for another thread.

2 Likes

Right ! I did the same with some of my posts. We will have to start another thread about the Water extractions. As per a PM, I am going ahead with a test batch, and I was able to clear this low dollar Martha Stewart version with the powers that be around here.:

It will not be as fast as a true high vac roto from Germany, but, hey it’s just for the kitchen!
If I put the “tank” on a heating pad it should go along OK. Although there is no “spec” on the pump these cheap 1/4 hp single vanes typically pull to maximum of 26" Hg. So that sould be fine:

1 Like

You’re well on your way to making a fine batch of ‘ice cream’ there. I foresee plenty of kitchen counter use! Throw in a few French cooking terms in for good measure too to impress friends and family.

2 Likes

Currently I am working on Water Based Extractions.

It will be a couple of weeks before I am ready to publish anything on that.

However, in the meantime, if you have any previous experience with Water based Extractions, please leave me a note HERE

Particularly I am interested in anyone with training or professional level experience in microbiology, clinical infectious disease studies, or the health sciences in general. I am very concerned to be up to speed on anything related to bacteria or mold issues in water carrier plant extractions.

1 Like