Tobacco free nicotine pouches

So I’m in Walgreens and behind the counter where they used to have an entire wall of Vape goods, they now have a whole wall of tobacco-free nicotine pouches. :thinking: Let’s see if I’m getting this right, nicotine in a vape pen is considered tobacco but nicotine in a pouch is considered tobacco free? WTF!!! Oh, and they come in a bunch of different flavors. :roll_eyes: Texas, USA. I betcha when I look these up I’ll find it’s all from “Big Tobacco”. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

9 Likes

I’m betting it’s still considered a tobacco product, or it wouldn’t be behind the counter. :wink:

The ‘tobacco free’ nonsense is just more marketing bullshit (obviously).

Nicotine is nicotine, doesn’t matter if sourced from organic (tobacco leaves), or if chemically formulated (synthetic). lol

Just another day in the “bad joke” that is the modern FDA.

If the piece of shit that is the FDA was actually to serve the intended purpose of ‘protecting the population’, then we wouldn’t have all these shitty drugs being prematurely released (and then later quietly pulled off the market, which you don’t know about until you start getting all the lawsuit spam in the email).

7 Likes

I wouldn’t doubt the pouches come from big tobacco. Alteria and British American Tobacco have invested heavy in the pouches. Will also bet Walgreens is selling space to vendors. It’s a common practice in grocery stores to sell shelf space to vendors. Normally the eye level shelves go for the biggest dollar.

6 Likes

It might be Walgreens’ decision to not carry any Vape products. Big Tobacco certainly has shelf space(Traditional combustion cigarettes) at Walgreens. I may have jumped to a conclusion that the FDA accepts Nicotine pouches as non-tobacco products. Maybe they are all PMTA approved? Doubtful, it would have been posted here already. It just pisses me off seeing combustion tobacco cigarettes for sale without any vape products available. The pouches may be a great way for people to get off of combustion cigarettes assuming they are not leaf tobacco pouches such as Skole or Copenhagen believed to cause cancer.

5 Likes

Wow, where do you live? All of our pharmacies stopped carrying cigarettes/tobacco products years ago.

3 Likes

From what I understand the pouches are a dried liquid nicotine format. Nothing like snuff or chew. Stores are looking for a way to increase profits. They cut cash flow by selling space without buying product to sell and outside vendor does the labor of maintaining stock. No risk to store to have throw out expired stock, I have never seen a Walgreens have vape products in store her in the Mid West. Company’s often have programs where they trial sell different products in certain parts of the country before opening to the rest of the country. Perhaps vape products didn’t sell well enough to cover square footage.

4 Likes

Houston/Galveston Texas USA. Combustion cigarettes are at every corner store, gas station, pharmacy, and grocery store. There are also dedicated tobacco stores ever few miles.

6 Likes

Oh, okay. I live here in Massachusetts with the Puritans :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Anne Bradstreet – Model Puritan Woman | My Lord Katie

4 Likes

They have been on the shelves in metro St Louis in the past (Illinois side as well). Not sure about recently as I rarely go in there anymore.

3 Likes

I almost started to say “I thought you were in the US.” lol

You’re definitely in the minority AFA smokes not being everywhere. Grocery stores, convenience stores, dedicated tobacco stores, Walgreens, CVS, etc etc

2 Likes

Walgreens in the Chicago area has gone the way of the CVS drug chain. They have removed all tobacco products from their stores. Being the home to Walgreens I don’t know if we are the only area affected.

4 Likes

We have tobacco shops but no cigs in supermarkets anymore either. Mostly in gas stations. Oh, I see that Walgreens in Cambridge still sells them. I guess it’s a Boston thing. So damn confusing.

4 Likes

I don’t recall ever seeing vape products in the Walgreens by me (Lake County, IL) and I go there frequently for drugs and such. I wouldn’t buy them anyway because I prefer to support the scattered vape shops in the area.

4 Likes

I don’t even support my local Walgreens for drugs anymore. Not long ago they kept closing down on us and one guy went 2 weeks without his meds. I wouldn’t mind if they gave us a heads up but you would walk in expecting to get your RX and find them closed. Then when they were open they screwed up your prescription or refused to give it to you because you couldn’t remember the exact birthdate of your relative you were picking up for. I was picking up my relative’s RX there for years. It was a mess with covid as the excuse (reason) and their computer system crashing. Whatever it was I had to transfer my RX across the street just so I could get my medication on time. Never experienced anything like it, with lines from the back to the front of the store.

3 Likes

The Walgreens we use here used to be a 24hr. store/pharmacy, one of only three within 50miles or more. That was very convenient at times. They changed awhile back and now close at eleven, still open much later than all the other pharmacies. I have experienced more problems with them but my insurance has a deal exclusive to one Walgreens here where I can get mail order prices for 90 maintenance scripts and name brand for generic price. For me that balances out the occasional hassles I have with them. The real benefit is the Chocolate isle! It’s the best selection and price around.

5 Likes

Ya can’t beat that! And the chocolate :wink:

2 Likes

2cf8d6585b04b744ecc92d866a76a2334647bac76d7768d92f1d0c21185eb7c3.0

3 Likes

Oh Lord, I just bought cake AND cupcakes this morning. I was having a “I want my cake and eat it too” moment.

3 Likes

Keep in mind TFN doesn’t “Always” mean its synthetically (or Chemically) derived. I have seen Nicotine that is also TFN that’s derived from other natural plants such as eggplants, Tomatoes or potatoes. By far it’s the most expensive type of nicotine because of the amount of raw organic materials needed but nonetheless it’s another form of TFN.

4 Likes