Topics not updating

Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue,
For the last day or two (maybe four),
When I read a topic, the site is not “remembering” and leaves the topic marked as unread, so I end up scrolling through a days-worth of replies to get back to where I left off.

On PC, I am running windows 11, last update was 2022-10 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.8 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11 for x64 (KB5018546).

Many thanks,

7 Likes

when you open ELR in a tab, press ctrl+w and see what that does for you.

4 Likes

Does that to me occasionally for the last several days. This morning it is back to normal so far.

6 Likes

Thanks Letitia, hopefully mine will resolve on it’s own too.

3 Likes

The only thing I have noticed is that when I went to another page, for instance when I would have a look at the ‘what do you really hate’ topic and then go to another topic, it would still read what do you really hate at the topbar.

Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 09.58.01

Refreshing the page would correct that. Today it works as it should.

4 Likes

:+1:
I am on my mobile atm & they have all updated - I’ll see what happens on the pc tomorrow.

5 Likes

No problems here, using Win 10 21H2 and also ok on Win 11 22H2…

3 Likes

Thanks Ianc, issue is still occuring on pc today.
I’ve searched the discourse forum and there are a few bugs that they know of - I think this one is most likely:

Bottom of topic shows “There is 1 unread remaining” when there are actually 0 unread topics remaining - bug - Discourse Meta
Could be because I consistently switch between IOSphone and Winpc daily.
Doesn’t appear to be a fix (and probably unlikely given I am using an older OS on my phone).

But there are also two others that may be responsible - :woman_shrugging: I’m not that tech savvy.
The read post position changed in topic? - bug - Discourse Meta

DiscourseHub failing to check for notifications and is displaying read ones - bug - Discourse Meta

I’ll just update the topics on my mobile, where it remembers :+1:

3 Likes

:laughing:
Well after I posted, this topic updated :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Hi all,

I am bumping this again as I still have this issue, it seemed to resolve for a bit but now that I do not use my phone to access the forum, it is still happening?
It is very annoying as I end up clicking on posts multiple times only to find I have already read them.

Screenshot of what I am talking about, I have read all these posts.
It is also cumulative, I cleared them all the last time I was here, so these are from the past two days only.

Please comment if you have this issue also.

5 Likes

I am going to add another issue I have, it might be linked:

When I read topics, the posts jump back a number of posts also and I have to re-read a lot of posts again to find where I am up to (I have been using “likes” to track what I have read).

When I get to a certain point, I can scroll no further (but the topic has not ended). To access the rest of the topic I have to click on the right side “last post” time/date at the bottom of the right-side scroll-bar for the page to load to the more recent posts and scroll Back to where it stopped loading.

All these topics kind-of explain & some provide fixes but really I have no clue.
Discourse jumps back 20 posts in post history when navigating to new topic - bug - Discourse Meta

The read post position changed in topic? - bug - Discourse Meta

Bottom of topic shows “There is 1 unread remaining” when there are actually 0 unread topics remaining - bug - Discourse Meta

5 Likes

Not having those issues myself. What browser & OS are you using as it may be dependant on that…

4 Likes

Am using Windows 11, Edge browser.
I think it is all of the above :wink:

4 Likes

I use windows 11 without issue, but I use Google Chrome browser. Edge can sometimes have issues with certain websites so I only use either Chrome or Firefox on most sites.

5 Likes

Thankyou!
I didn’t think to try a different browser :roll_eyes:
I will give it a try (not now tho bloody power went out :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:).

5 Likes

Ahhhh, yes, we had power outages yesterday off and on. Lasted for around 6 hours but was not for the whole time. Played havoc with my tech stuff.

4 Likes

I cannot thankyou enough @Ianc13
I downloaded firefox and… :tada:

I think all my problems have resolved!
It must be Edge after all.
Thanks again :hugs:

5 Likes

Glad you found a solution. I’ve used Firefox for years as my preferred browser and seldom have issues. Unless absolutely necessary (with some sites), I avoid Chrome and Edge. Have also used Opera in the past, but not currently. I appreciate open source products, including Open Office for personal use, but do use MS-Office for work as it is required.

6 Likes

Thanks Cary1, I was getting very frustrated. Such a simple fix tho :laughing:
I like open source too, I use libre-office, gimp and am thinking of dual installing linux on this pc too.

5 Likes