TPA DX Line, Tasting Thread

Just addin’ more notes, don’t mind me…

DX Juicy Peach- Very close to the original juicy peach, very happy with it as it has NO butric acid smell.

DX Frosted Donut- Tasted like nothing, maybe a little sweetness? Very bland, if I am using it incorrectly, please someone tell me because this flavor was a waste of money!

Just something I have noticed about the DX line; a lot of people are turned off by these flavors due to the Butanoic Acid (Butyric acid) but I would like to point out that not ALL the DX line incorporates BA when reformulating a flavor; a surprising amount of them do not use it.

If you go to TFA’s site in the MSDS section, you can search by CAS number. The CAS for Butyric Acid is: 107-92-6

http://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/specsheetlist.aspx

I am turned off by lots of flavors that contain BA but a surprising amount of flavors that are NOT in the DX line incorporate it and as I said before, not everything in the DX line uses BA.

Even if you don’t use TFA, it is notable that it is probably used in a wide range of flavors from company to company.

2 Likes

This is a good point, I have found quite a few DX flavors that I use, regularly. Are they hated on around here or something?

1 Like

Some people really cannot handle the butyric acid. Personally it steeps out just find except vanilla custard cap v2

2 Likes

I’m one of those people. I’ve found I can handle small amounts but it definitely tastes like vomit to me, so I tend to stay away from most V2s and DX flavors Just to be safe.

So yes, there’s some strong hatred for BA, but I think the biggest thing is that DX/V2 flavors are remakes of the originals which have diketones (which taste a hell of a lot better than vomit…) so for a lot of us who aren’t scared of diketones, the choice is easy.

3 Likes

Yeah, I can handle some of the DX line but I have yet to find a CAP V2 that I enjoy.

There is only one that I make with strawberry FA and ripe tpa. Everything else is inw or FA for custard.

1 Like

Would be interested to hear from someone who has tried DX Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. CAP VBIC just does not work for me, no matter how long it steeps or what % I use; bleh.

From the looks of it, it does not contain butyric acid, so maybe it is good? And I looked it up, apparently butyrate ethyl is not the same thing as butyric acid. While they are very similar, perhaps they perform very differently…

CAS No.
Butyric Acid: 107-92-6
Butyrate Ethyl: 105-54-4

DX Vanilla Bean Ice Cream:

1 Like
  • DX Milk - I’ve had no issues with it and no cheesey or vomit smell / taste; nice and neutral milk. I liked it well enough to buy another 30ml bottle.

• DX Banana Cream - Really really nice creamy banana flavor that I bought the 4oz bottle. In my first mix I used it at about 3% and the flavor stayed strong & upfront.

• DX Marshmallow - I wouldn’t put this at the top of the list for marshmallow because I really don’t get a really noticeable “marshmallow” fluffy sweet vibe when used in a mix - it is very light & mild and a good mixer / no off taste.

2 Likes

I have DX Graham Cracker but have yet to mix with it. Smells an awful lot like TFA Cheesecake Graham Crust with a hint of cinnamon.

1 Like

Before I joined the forum and the recipe page, I looked around for mixers who used diketone free flavors. Only one comes to mind and that’s our own @Mark_Turner who uses diketone free flavorings extensively. He may be able to educate us in the use of these. I suppose it’s whatever one is used to. I don’t notice any vomit taste when used at low % like 2% or less with DX sweet cream, DX milk etc. but some mixers do. Tfa caramel(not caramel original or dx caramel) works very well with DX sweet cream. The cream adds a very yummy buttery taste to the caramel. Toss in a bit of vanilla swirl, French vanilla, FA Madagascar vanilla classic or gremlin vanilla overload and you have a yummy rich tasting caramel vanilla all clean.

3 Likes

I think that is the key; being very careful with percentage and mixing it with the right ingredients. The actual description for Butyric Acid is buttery and someone else pointed out, it is actually in butter. Mixing it with other stuff does help, you can’t really expect one flavor to do all the work for you.

2 Likes

Have been using the DX Brown Sugar in a Muffin recipe, and I find it tastes almost like syrup. Anyone else get this?

No… But now I might try coaxing syrup out of it! Like maple syrup? What else did you have in the recipe?

1 Like

Yea, maple syrup. Not a bad taste, just not what I want on my muffin.

This is my latest attempt, took out CAP Golden Butter because it didn’t add much if any, butter taste. Just made it weirdly creamy and I need it to be more ‘bready’.

1 Like

Be careful with those flavours… :neutral_face:

1 Like

DX Graham has 2 different main ingredients than GCC and GC, which gives more white cake than Graham, one of the ingredients gives slight tobacco nuance as well. I like adding this to other Graham crackers, it really makes them pop. DX Banana Cream as well as DX Banana Foster’s seem to boost the banana better than their originals (at least to me) and I love DX Bavarian Cream, not sure many people like this one better than the original bit it comes off a tad sweeter for me.

4 Likes

wished DX Graham didnt have the cinnamon flavor in it as it will ruin a recipe…if one doesnt need cinnamon in it. DX Banana Cream is really tasty as is DX Bavarian cream. DX Caramel is horrid plus has corn syrup in it. never got much flavor out of that one no matter how much i used.

You taste cinnamon in DX Graham Cracker? I don’t maybe its a perception thing. It doesn’t have any cinnamaldehyde like Frosted Donut and Bananas Foster (long list of containing) although another ingredient could be producing a cinnamon taste for you. I get white, baked cookie, slightly coconut, tiny bit buttery, biscuity almost.

1 Like