Trying to figure out how to do this

I am BRAND NEW to mixing my own juices Bc he company I used to buy from shut down. It was called karma boss by fog boss sold out of volvapor in Tennessee. Before that it’s name was karma scotch by puresmoker again same guys out of Tennessee. I’ve been on same flavor for 10 years. 2 years ago I bought 15 liters of it Bc he told he he was shutting down. And told me if I called him in a year or so he’d give me the recipe as it was super easy to make as it was only 2-3 ingredients. I have had people tell me that if I’ve been vaping it that long it can only be a couple of different flavor Mfg companies. Flavor west being the one they thought. So I went to that site and bought a few that seemed like they could make it. The pics that they originally used on puresmoker.com were even the same pics he used back then. The flavor profile to me is caramel, butterscotch and a hint of maple syrup. People always say it smells just like maple syrup when I vaped it. The description of it is caramel toffee on their sites back then.

I bought, Butter Toffee, caramel candy, salted caramel, and butterscotch all from flavor west. I have tried mixing from 2% up to 20% of different flavors of this same combos and it tastes like there is some kind of peppermint taste or something. It’s really odd! Even if I just mix one flavor with 70%pg/30%Vg I don’t understand what I am doing wrong! Please help!!!

7 Likes

Welcome and glad you joined.

5 Likes

Welcome, I won’t be much help here as I can’t do PG much. But 70/30 with the 70 being the PG? Are you sure it’s not the other way around? 70% PG seems really high to me, but again who knows. Hopefully someone else can chime in. I can’t imagine that giving you a mint taste though??

6 Likes

Hi Dustin! Welcome!
That peppermint thing sounds weird. I’ve only got a few flavors that fit that profile so I’m not sure how much help I can be. Do you have Flavor West (FW) Butterscotch Ripple? That’s a pretty dreamy butterscotch flavor. A little FW Salted Caramel might give it the hint of maple or you could hit it with a little Flavour Art Maple Syrup.
Blind guess with my flavors:
5% FW Butterscotch Ripple
3% Salted Caramel
1% FA Maple Syrup
1-2% FW Sweetener (to taste)
And I mixed it (2% sweetener to try for the very sweet description I read).
It’s O.K. but it’s no commercial juice. I’m guessing there’s something more to the profile, maybe a little bakery or cream?
I hope this wasn’t worse than no help at all. Lol!

7 Likes

I wonder if a couple drops of Acetyl Pyrazine 5% could help get there?

4 Likes

Holy cow! I didn’t notice that.
I use ~ 70%VG/30%PG in my RDAs and RTAs. I’ve never used pods so I’ve never used high PG before.
Very high PG might cause the mint thing I guess.

2 Likes

I tried +.25% CAP Cereal 27 and +.5% TFA Vanilla Swirl and it made it more full for sure. It still seems very basic. I can’t do anything but guess wildly though. I’ve never tried the flavor, just read a few words.

4 Likes

I just tried a quick online search and I am not finding anything with that name. But if they stopped making it some time ago, might not find anything.

3 Likes

That vanilla swirl is some great stuff! Anyway before I go way OT here. Sorry OP I hope some others can help out. I’m not real good with putting flavors together. I just mix what I think I will like. Sometimes I win and other times, umm , not so much :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum side of ELR @Dustinstanley , If it’s like a tingle in your tongue, you probably went overboard with the percentages, lower them down.
Does the chap ever gave you the correct recipe? If you bought so much from him, try chasing him, he just might give it to you (please share it, looks like a good profile).
The whole point is that without the recipe with % and manufacturer, you’ll never be able to clone the liquid, you’ll remix the profile, not clone the recipe.
Don’t trust people that tell you it’s this or that, unless they’re mixers, if they are, tell them to put their money where the mouth is… make them do a recipe for you, a real mixer and friend will be more then glad to do it.
From my point of view, the combo of those flavours, I mean, Caramel salted+caramel Candy+Butterscotch+ butter toffee has got so much Ethyl Maltol/Cyclotene/Ethyl Vanillin (compounds commonly used to build those flavours) inside, that on its own its a muter!
Those flavours put together, maybe at high, or “wrong” percentages, will mute each other, taste chemical, or in the best of cases “burnt” or “odd” like in your case.
Buy FW Sweetener (Sucralose, 95% of commercial liquids got tons of it inside) and get that caramel candy out.
If you get maple, try simple combos at low percentages (2-3% is enough with FW) ,combos like maple, sweeteener,butterscotch or try caramel salted butterscotch sweetener, start with two flavours with sugar and see where the profile goes to, wrong? start again, remixing a profile is a lengthy process, but you’ll learn a lot along the way.
Welcome to the community.

10 Likes

Okay wild guess here

FW Caramel 2%
FW English Toffee 1%
FW Sweetener 1% maybe 1.5% ? But I agree with lv3shf, try and chase the guy down if possible.

Being that everyone’s tastes can be so different. It’s going to take some trial and error on your part. See for me the English Toffee is strong, but for you or others, it may not be

6 Likes

I love Mixing Fiction and mixin’ history, you usually learn a lot doing that.
So I went on the hunt for them, there’s not a lot about them, but found a 2014 3D on ECF and a couple of reviews.
Looks like Fog Boss was a local juice company based in Nashville (TN) and had Volvapor as an affiliated store.
They had a normal line that didn’t have much success but a very high praised High VG, premium line that targeted drippers (those were the days…) and here comes:

The first hint: If your liquid is from their premium line: it’s an HIGH VG not high PG!
Translated into a mixer point of view means, long steeping time, thick full vape, sweet on its own, goes from 70VG/30PG to 80VG/20PG.

They made quite good liquids called: Snitch & Snatch, Bobby two fingers, Saturday night special, Johnny no-shoes, Mr. Pink, Vinny Gorgeous, Baby Shanks, White widow, Cocked 'n locked, the O.G., Godfather (there is a recipe of a remix in the calculator side) but no trace of Karma boss (could be from their older line).
Second hint: it’s a 2014 company, they either had their flavours made from a laboratory, or got them from an ice cream dealer (yes folks those days ice creams flavours were made on PG and quite strong,) or from an handfull of manufacturers, namely: Lorann, TPA, Flavor West, Capella, Flavorart, could also be: Inawera, Delosi, Hangsen, but difficult to have a decent supply from them, some of them not in the US, so my bet is on the first 5.
Third hint, but this is my POV, looking at the line everything points to Flavor West, e.g. Snitch & Snatch, Blueberry yougurt mix… definitely two great flavours from FW, get the right percentages and you’re in for treat, Bobby two fingers nutty flavour, easy, FW has got one of the best hazelnuts, get that, FW, GC mixed with their VBIC and you’ve got some creamy nutty thingy going on… a touch of AP and you have them nuts toasted, those are the ones that I looked at and everything pointed that way, even the failures pointed to FW the liquids that people said no-go are the typical FW flavours which we say no-go.
I love science and mixing fiction.
Hope this helps a bit.

9 Likes

The toffee part throws me… But here’s what I’d try to start with:

Cap caramel
TFA maple
FA butterscotch

While I personally prefer FW natural butterscotch above either TFA or FA, it wasn’t around 10 years ago.

The three I’ve listed above were IIRC.

Do note that cap caramel has changed formulas since then, but, if you’ve bought it in the last two years from the company (fog boss), then either they’ve already made adjustments for the change, OR they simply found the reformulated replacement ‘suitable enough’ I’m betting.

Cloning is a long, drawn out labor of love (of a particular mix).
Second, it’s almost impossible to duplicate a mix unless you know your flavors intimately.
Finally, you can definitely come “close enough” to arrive at something extremely satisfying with enough time and effort.

I hope you get close, and find what makes you smile!

7 Likes

Ohh, good call! That’s another one that was around back then!

3 Likes

Welcome! You will be glad you joined the best forum out there!

3 Likes

You all are freaking awesome!!! Thank you so much for y’all’s insight!! I’m gonna try reversing my pg/vg % first! Then try these ideas y’all have! Thank you!!!

10 Likes

I found a butterscotch custard one that i can’t get enough of i love the "custard monster butterscotch custard " n i know it’s not the exact same thing but its still freaking good! Same with voodoo’s cannoli be one! It’s soooo good there are alot of good clones but not the same.

7 Likes

Hot Damn, I’m impressed at the detective work here! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Try tasting 100% PG and see if you detect anything vaguely minty. I vape 70PG and don’t taste anything mint-like in any of my juices.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s not me. I only taste mint when I add mint flavor.

3 Likes