Trying to mix a disposable strength flavour liquid

hey everyone,
so for a while I have been using disposables, I used to use a tank kit but i noticed i couldnt taste liquids they all seemed to just taste the same, like I can just taste the VG, im trying to make a grape lemonade with a lime zip/twist

I have tried to make a disposable style liquid but I cant seem to get it right.
I have gone as high as 20% grape (tfa) and 20% lemon & lime (capella) so 40% flavour with 1% super sweet but i cant get the flavour down like I say it just tastes muted to me versus dispos or something like elfliq where its like I can feel the grape or the lemon or whatever flavour punch me in the mouth and i can really taste it,

my main question i guess is what am i missing?
when i was looking it up they say dispos have more flavour and sweetner which is what led me to the mix i have now, and I mean I can smell it it smells good but just cant get the taste to come through

edit: forgot to mention during research i also found out they use salt nic so i am using that as well

8 Likes

I am a newbie and so far I have learnt more flavour can actually mute the flavours :woman_shrugging:t3:
And this is how new I am lol, but the tank you use makes a difference.

9 Likes

yeah I mean it recomended to start at 6% and ive gone through a few batches bumping up to where it is now but I cant get it right im wondering if they have some kind of even more concentrated flavour or something maybe

4 Likes

Look up disposables in the search bar and see what pops up maybe

3 Likes

already have its actually how i found the site there are a bunch of different posts basically everywhere so ive colelcted together what i could

3 Likes

I am a member of a few Facebook groups and they will be able to tell you straight away what your doing and not doing. Not that someone more experienced than me can’t tell you here aswell though

3 Likes
5 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Tracey001 and @RobertBrownieJr I am not a experienced mixer but I am sure someone will chime in soon with some recommendations, there are some very experienced mixers here and can teach you so much.
Have fun, enjoy the journey!

8 Likes

Mixing for these devices is a lot like the early days of mixing, higher %s but not quite as high as back then. Ive been mixing long enough to know exactly what i like at the wattage’s i want to vape it. Even tho i mixed a lot back in the early days i kinda forgot how to so do. So when i started mixing for the Caliburn A2 i checked out some other folks mixes.

@Iv3shf has some great pod mixes as does @fidalgo_vapes.

From what i can see you are going way to high on the %s, getting into the muting range. Here is a mix i made recently for Pods and it is very fulled flavored:

A mix doesnt need to be above a certain % to be good in a Pod, very few of the mixes a made a decade+ ago were above 20%.

Here is one of my favorites from Frank:

And one from @fidalgo_vapes:

Both are under 20% flavor and are fantastic in the A2 i use.

EDIT: On the recipe side search: Pod or MTL. It will help narrow down the results.

9 Likes

Welcome and glad you joined.

6 Likes

Welcome and glad you also joined.

5 Likes

If you are trying to mix similar to a disposable try to choose simple recipes with only a few flavors. Research your flavors check for how high you can take them. If they can go high without breaking (muting) then they should work. I tend to use a lot of Flavor West when trying high ratio recipes because their flavors can go high. I created this for a friend who likes Elf Bar LOWIT 2500 it’s a cherry grape lemonade w/cooling. My friend runs the Geek Vape Peak pod with .8 coil 25mg nic salt. She says it’s really close to the elf bar.

7 Likes

There are 49 recipes for pods on the recipe site.
Maybe they can give you an idea of the amount of flavour others use.

3 Likes

First of all welcome to ELR to you both @Tracey001 and @RobertBrownieJr .

And here we go… my 2c?? I’ll sound boring and monotonous… and I apologize to all those that have seen this so many times.

Let’s start from your recipes… TFA Grape @20%??? which Grape? Candy,Soda, Natural (outsourced) or Juice? TFA’s got a few, but beside that, it’s not an easy flavour to deal with, close your eyes, bite e grape and think about what you taste and feel, define it…

Definitely TFA (IMHO) doesn’t even go near, (believe me I have got 6/7 Grapes and got rid of TFA years ago… I had the candy one) FLV, Chemnovatic, INW are my go to, for a greenish Grape I go with layer of Reka and Cap Concorde… and this is to lead to the “Disposable Taste” argument, they use commercial grade flavour, Reka, Chemnovatic, and generally very strong Flavours at the “right” percentages, our latest flavours (FLV,VSO,VTA WF etc.) are more for a crafter type liquid, better defined, safer, and apt for complex mixes and layering.

Now the base… disposables are low wattage devices, they CANNOT handle high VG liquids, so it’s not unusual to even find 60 PG at the end 50/50, 60/40 (both ways either Pg or VG) are the go to, depending on the target liquid.

As you already know you can’t make complex, layered mixes, they won’t come through, 2-3 flavours at most.
Ever wondered why you won’t find custards? With Custards layering, higher power and high VG is a must, but you can use creams, milk, milkshake and vanillas, but it’s as far as you can go (don’t trust @fidalgo_vapes he cheats more than me… he used SB Milkshake layered with Honeydew… clever.) and that’s another hint, use flavours that are already layered, Forest Fruit, Nut Mix, SB Milkshake, Banana custard/ Nut bread, CDS and flavours that are known to “come out” Blueberry, apples, licorice, Peaches.

Additives:
Sweetener, with rebuildables we always care about our coils and gunking, “theirs” get thrown away… so who cares if they last or not, plenty of it (based on our standards… that is 0,5, 0,75) unless you use sweet flavours.

Cooling agents, they are used everywhere, use it with care, but it’s cheating, it’s easy to hide a poor mix with lots of sweetener and ice.

AP, triacetin, Citric acid, Malic Acid all used to balance the mix use them with knowledge and care

Muting, is a complex discussion, generally avoid over flavouring, sometime over flavouring is not just the simple percentages too high, but also molecules used inside the flavours, as a silly example see this one:
Strawberry sweet and ripe, Bavarian cream, milkshake, vanilla swirl maybe even pushed on the high side (Old style like) you know what?
It’ll mute! Even if used at the “right” %, Malt and butyrate are the main culprits, those are molecules all used “inside” the flavours and added up will result in over flavouring without you even knowing! The Battle of the titans…

Can layering be done? of course it can, if the aim is to reach a single flavour… e.g.:

This one is relatively complex, but you can see that the layers are aimed to build a single flavour to make it stand out.

Start with easy recipes, don’t even look at recipes with 7-8 flavours, they won’t work on a POD, unless it’s aimed, (rarely) also beware of recipes that are over 25-30% , unless inside those mixes you see Distilled, NETs, and natural flavours, those typically can throw the percentages off, stay away from them.

Alright, boring as usual, just some hints but a lot on your plate to dig in and enjoy…

@RobertBrownieJr show us your stash (put the link) and what you made, so we can help you improve.

My welcome to ELR!! :joy:

9 Likes