Tungsten wire for coils?

Steam engine has it under materials, djlsb has the TCR on his DNA 200 page, but I cant find much info on it. I found a site selling tungsten wire by the foot in different gauges for around $10/foot.
Anybody know anything?

Nothing more that it should be good for vaping :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

Weren’t they speculating that it was a tungsten wire in some of the newer ceramic coils?

1 Like

http://www.horizone-cig.com/products_detail/&productId=167.html

Yup…I’ve seen this out there…but thats the ones that are coated with ceramic. I wanna build with it.

Gotcha. The bits I have been able to find were interesting. Seems it’s a low resistance wire similar in performance to Titanium. And they say if you build a Tungsten coil it should last 1000 hours like a lightbulb. :wink:

1 Like

You gotta link? I’ll post the link to the wire I found…

http://www.sisweb.com/ms/wire-tungsten.htm

$40 minimum order…no big deal

1 Like

Sorry, no link. Was just random googling and year old reddit pie in the sky threads and the like.

2 Likes

Tungsten is a super dense material. I wouldn’t even think you could make it into wire. That’s pretty interesting. Makes me wonder what all is in that wire.

We had a 2" Tungsten bar in the shop one time that we were struggling to cut with even diamond tooling. The bar was leaning against a workbench and someone knocked it over. It was about a 3 foot long bar. It shattered into 5 pieces, the longest piece being about 18 inches.

2 Likes

Hardest known metal to man but has this weird shattering property to it.
Well, I guess it’s safe to vape on…I think I’ll be the test subject…I’ll order some and give it a shot

2 Likes

If we don’t hear from you, we’ll just wait longer! :smiley:

1 Like

The last part of that quote usually goes first, then a while passes before we come to the first conclusion. I’ve not heard of any safety quotes other than it being used in ceramics. Me personally, I’d need a couple hundred test subjects going there first.

Here’s a good read for those wanting to stuff their craniums with more… More… MORE!
http://www.engin.brown.edu/organizations/EWB/GISP/Callster%20-%20chapter_17.pdf

It even has some quizzies in it.

Surely there are those here with way more free time than me who can absorb all of that info and return here to share their enlightenment with the community.

Tungsten is relatively inert. Especially when compared to kanthal, nichrome, etc. As previously mentioned, it’s the glowing hot filament in a lightbulb, so wire can be drawn from it. Other wires are kept from burning up/oxidizing by the presence of chromium, which isn’t great for you. At all. That is why I like Ti. It’s inert because it’s covered in a very u reactive oxide.

My current thinking is that due to the material properties of tungsten, it will probably heat more slowly. I figure it and platinum would suck more power just because they have a higher “thermal mass” than the equivalent amount of Ti. I do not, however, believe there would be any dangerous over other safe wires like Ti in terms of safety to the body. If you do buy the wire, I wouldn’t cut it with a pair of cutters that I liked. I would also make sure it is annealed as soft as is possible.

I actually have a few feet of various gauges of tungsten wire sitting in my garage. It is used in high tech to unclog very small orifices (specifically wire-bonding nozzles/tips). . .because it is so hard. I am very doubtful that I could wrap my pieces into a coil, I think they were annealed to be hard for their intended purpose. I use them to clean the methanol nozzles on my hotrod.

1 Like

You home yet?
Oh, and thanks for the input!!

1 Like