TV Box help?

No.

There’s nothing “smart” about it.
It’s a basic player that fit the above.

This is usually something altogether different. They don’t usually play files in the format that dvds are converted into.

The only way you’re going to do both (with minimal effort), is a more complex/expensive solution (involving Kodi, or Plex, an HTPC, a game system, etc).

6 Likes

We have a playstation here but i think it’s first gen… no smart game system… :frowning:

4 Likes

You could pick up a PS3 or Xbox (with HDD) reasonably enough… But then, you’re getting into ‘complex’ again, unless you are comfortable flashing it with a custom OS, tweaking it to hell and back, etc.

But I’m trying to keep it simple.

5 Likes

let me think on all of this for a few days and get some research done…
will hollar if I hit the jack pot >>^.^<< :smiley:

5 Likes

Storage is going to be your biggest cost. About $35 a TB disk and you need at least 2 for redundancy (if you don’t want to lose your movies). Since you don’t have a desktop or a NAS, you need enclosures with USB connectors as well… either for a laptop running plex, streaming to a roku or chromecast, or to connect it via USB to an Android TV box (cheap ones available around $30). Having separate USB disks also means redundancy requires some manual labor.
So your $100 budget is going to be tight… but it might be possible if you’re not going too crazy.

4 Likes

https://www.tipard.com/dvd-solution/dvd-resolution.html

4 Likes

Amazon Firestick with Kodi is mmm… “ok” for streaming. My preferred setup is an nVidia Shield TV system with a 1-2tb hard drive. For like $9.99 or so for 3 months service, you can access Real Debrid servers and stream anything and everything you can think of.

There are other Android boxes available. Some quick YT vids on the subject comparing boxes to the Shield should point you in the right direction to a cheaper alternative, as the Shield is pretty much the standard.

Once you get an Android system setup, install Kodi from the Play Store and Google “xanax build”, which is an addon for Kodi that will have you drooling. Forget Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and your cable bill. You will no longer need or even use them if you have them.

From there, go to real-debrid.com and drop a few bucks on their service (trust me, it is worth it). Watch some vids on setting up Real Debrid, and you are set.

The whole process is rather simple, and in the end, you may want to grab an Android box for any non-smart tv you own :wink:

Basically… watch any movie (even those still in theaters), any tv show, any youtube vid, any MMA, UFC, or other sporting event, anytime you want. Even live.

Edit - if you have a smart TV that will take a hard drive, has access to Kodi in the play store, skip the Android box altogether.

Oh, and you don’t need Real Debrid… but it makes everything stream faster, you get access to a lot more servers, etc.

4 Likes

I’ve been using two Fire Cubes for a couple of years after having a few android boxes and a lot of frustration. I found a great source of info and apps for the Cube/Firestick (and android devices) at https://troypoint.com/
Sign up for the free newsletter (no spam) and he’ll keep you up to date on all you needs. Kodi doesn’t work great on the cube, but I no longer use it. Just the streaming apps and I have no issues (as long as I use Real Debrid and a VPN). I haven’t paid for cable TV in 3 years.

5 Likes

Yeah, I heard about that stuff. I haven’t felt the need to mess with other apps yet because my Shield/Kodi setup is a beast. I also have a Sony Bravia smart tv, and Kodi plays perfect on it as well without a box. I have a 1tb drive on it and love it.

4 Likes

Nice! I’ve been wanting an NV Shield for years. I might buy one when one of the Cubes breaks down.

3 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know how they have remained on top all this time (badass cpu), but it makes me feel as if I turned my tv into a huge Galaxy phone with regards to performance, unlike other Android devices.

4 Likes

Hmmmm, I use a Win 10 PC that was originally a Dell but has been slightly modded inside. Running a Series 6 intel i5 and a Asus MB, 16Gb ram and AC WiFi.

A 500Gb SSD for main drive with a 3Tb drive for the 1200 odd movies on there + the 900+Gb of my wife horse videos (ripped training videos for natural horsemanship).

Backs up via WiFi to my main PC (whole other story) every time something changes so has total redundancy.

Has integrated graphics but runs my 55" Sharp TV at full QHD without an issue.

Was under AU$400 to set up and works really well.

3 Likes

Welcome back @Jessy2. I stream Amazon, Netflix, and Apple + over the TV.

4 Likes

I’m far from a tech-spert, but have had great luck with Roku. Been using a couple of them for a few years, with no issues. Also have a FireTV in the secret mixing lab in the basement. It works ok, but prefer the Roku.

I’m sure other, much more knowledgeable folks will be by for their input.

I recently cut my cable also (Spectrum), and just kept internet for streaming. I don’t regret it at all.

Good Luck

Edit: If you’re in or near a metropolitan area, don’t overlook a HD broadcast antenna, for additional, local content. If you’re handy, they’re not difficult to homebrew, or you can pick up a commercially made one. I’m a long time ham radio nut, and love making antennas. I made this one for one particular channel, that I lost, when cutting the cable. (CBC Windsor, Ontario - gotta have my hockey games). I discovered that I also got a BUNCH of other channels in the bargain. I made it with foam craft board, some wire, and packing tape, and a few other pieces. There’s a lot of info out there on homebrew HD antennas. Mine is just propped up in a corner of an unused, 2nd floor bedroom.

6 Likes

I’ve had great luck with the FireCubes. Got two of them running on a 1Gb fiber line. Got them “jail broken” so I can watch whatever I want. Happy as a clam.

6 Likes

One of my apartment mates uses a Firestick and a very good friend uses Roku. Both are very happy. The Firestick occasionally (very seldom) flakes out, but we just remove power for a few minutes, plug it back in and it works fine for another few months…until it happens again. I’ve let my apartment mate know it is probably just a power hick-up.

5 Likes

We use the Firestick, works OK but does flake out occasionally and WiFi could be improved. However, it does the job and was cheap so we just stick with it.

1 Like

Have a Fire TV, Roku TV, and a Roku box on an old ‘not smart’ TV.

Roku for the win, for me. The Fire TV works, but slowly, and as @Ianc13 said, it does flake out occasionally. The Rokus have been fast & solid.

3 Likes

I have Fire TV and a Roku Sound-bar/box and by far the Roku is superior in speed and seamless operation. That’s my opinion of course

4 Likes

Not sure which one I would choose. Both my apartment-mate and my friend seem to enjoy the one they chose.

2 Likes