TV Box help?

Not a clue where to stick this topic… if it is in the wrong spot… move it for me please?

My son is a huge movie collector, he loves dvds and has been trying to sell off a lot of his movies because I set a condition if he did, I will find a way to allow him to store his movies digital, as well as find newer ones.

I have a 52 in vizio and a hdmi cable?? and looking for a box that is simple and can mass store or at least an option to switch out sd cards or connect to a thin external hard drive, 1 terabit?? I think it is what we have… could be larger. Havent looked at it in a while… so but I have storage… just need a simple option that can run netflix youtubes etc… Help would be deeply appreciated.

Please keep it simple. thanks! :slight_smile: Hopefully under 100.00 and I did some a few on fasttech, but… not a clue where to look or what we need. point and play is welcome :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Man @anon84779643 you are really getting close to wanting a NAS box !!! You have a PC you can use ? Plex would SURE make this easy-mcpeasy…

7 Likes

I have my laptop but about to move it into another room… I just need something I can transfer movies… and play with youtube and netflix… if there is anything possible… my laptop is moving 4 rooms away lmao…

4 Likes

Will show this to my son and see what he thinks about it. We could sacrifice his old lap top… maybe…

4 Likes

Well I’m not saying “boxes” that you can load VHS/DVD’s into don’t exist anymore, but what you are really needing is a Plex server. I gathered from your post that spending $$$ on a NAS box was not in the cards, but you can install Plex free on quite a few things out there, and what you want to do, is EXACTLY what Plex does.

6 Likes

I think I will link Edward to your link and see what he sees… :slight_smile:

I’m not all into movies and what nots, If I am not working, I read. I love my books too much :crazy_face:

4 Likes

https://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/plex-dvd.html

6 Likes

I put it all on him. I told him he has up to 100.00 to spend, and let me know what he needs so we can order it :slight_smile:

Thanks SD… it might take some time. He hates to read. If he wants it bad enough he will use his own judgement, and I will see how he does. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Awesome Thread. BOOKMARKED THANK YOU VERY MUCH. oops forgot to take caps lock off.

I needed this info. Thanks

7 Likes

I posted this the other day on a media thread here. What really caught my attention is that you can connect external drive and play from the drive. It has Android 8.1 built in and you can install your own apps on it (I believe, check yourself though). Customer comments mention you can add Kodi to it. Maybe Plex? It also has Dolby and DTS sound and 4K support.

(https://www.walmart.com/ip/Xiaomi-Mi-Box-S-4K-HDR-Android-TV-with-Google-Assistant-Remote-Streaming-Media-Player/677842593)

[

]

5 Likes

IT’S OK @Dan_the_Man I DO IT ALL THE TIME !!!

:slight_smile:

You’re welcome.

4 Likes

I think I saw that and that is what prompted me to ask questions @JiM210
thanks for the link again, will read over it too… :+1:

5 Likes

A Raspberry Pi with Kodi is is what I’m using at the moment. Lots of TV plugins, youtube, netflix etc. I’m using it without a TV tuner card, all just streaming programs.
It’s relatively easy to setup, lots of info on the web. Raspberry pi kit goes for 50 quid in the UK, TV tuner addon card maybe another 20 but that’s just a guess.
It’s working really well but Netflix was a bit of a pain to setup and there are tiny little but annoying buffering glitches depending on the source. Mine is connected to a network storage so I’ll have to try a usb hard disk for the buffering problem.

6 Likes

Do you have the 480p/SD restriction on Netflix via Kodi as well on the Pi? I’ve been reading a bit about Android boxes and most seem to mention this. Still a bit torn between Android box or Pi.

5 Likes

This review highlights several negatives that make this less appealing :confused:

https://www.techhive.com/article/3319662/xiaomi-mi-box-s-review.html

One of the pros besides the cheap price is that you can hook it to external hard drive or server which is why I mentioned it to begin with.

3 Likes

Well, the info section on the TV says 2160p PCM 16:9 but i think this is just the signal which comes from the raspberry pi. The film I’m trying out right now (Blow / Jonny Depp) shows as 720HD in the Kodi Netflix menu. I’m usually using netflix on the TV app but I can’t really see a difference between Netflix on Kodi and Netflix on the LG smart thingy.

4 Likes

So do you think that will be a good one for me, @JiM210… ?? :crazy_face:
Im trying to sort out all the options and weight the pros and cons…

3 Likes

I’m looking at this one. With Prime it’s down to £53.59

It’s actually in my cart but still looking, will probably buy this (or better) somewhere this week

I can’t find the mi box s for a lower price and this deal seems pretty decent.
And I’ll probably throw in a Pi to make a comparison. I can always use the Pi for other stuff too.

4 Likes

@anon84779643 here is a quick and easy answer.
It’s plug and play, plus gives you the ability to record over the air (OTA) TV.

It allows you to plug in a portable USB HDD to both record to, as well as play from.

Hell of a lot cheaper than a NAS, or having a dedicated HTPC (Home Theater pc), but while it has some limiting aspects to it, it will enable you to dip your toe into the water without a major commitment.

6 Likes

can I add apps and what not to it, @Sprkslfly ??
Im looking at something I gota find the link again… too many tabs opened… :frowning: lol

4 Likes